Golf Simulator Distances

mat50

Reaction score
Handicap
So I went and hit some of this years drivers yesterday and the simulator numbers are just ridiculous. The swing speed/ball speed numbers were normal but the distances were inflated to the point they were laughable to the point that I even stopped and asked the guy if they had the thing juiced up. And yes, I know they most likely do so they can sell you a new driver. Anyways what I don't understand is what makes the distances so inflated? After all it is just some algorithm in the computer that looks at the few measurables (ball speed, spin, launch angle) and spits out some distances.

My numbers from the store launch monitor (would be easier if I could figure out how to post the picture from my phone):

Total Distance 322
Carry 308
Ball Speed 164
Launch Angle 14
Backspin 3191

I plugged ball speed, launch angle, and backspin numbers into a trajectory optimizer (flightscope) and carry was only 280 yards. I don't know if anyone will have a great answer in the 28 yards disparity but I just thought I would share some findings. O ya and my internet driving distance is officially 322 yards which still puts me in the second quartile.

I think they have an option somewhere to have it fly like you were in high altitude so that it would be accurate if you played in dever....

Do you know what kind of launch monitor it was? Was it even a launch monitor or a simulator?
Easy way to fix this is to bring your current driver in and compare.

We have two launch monitors and I couldnt even tell you where a setting to "juice it" is. However on a simulator, there are things like altitude and wind I believe.

Ground firmness is another one that can alter 'total yardage'.

I know for a fact there is a distance boost option on foresight monitors

I know for a fact there is a distance boost option on foresight monitors

Interesting. I have looked at all the settings on mine and dont see a thing.
Not really all that interested, because we dont alter anything, but never seen it.

I never understood why everybody thinks a store would juice up a simulator. Sure, it may sell one driver, but when the customer gets to the course and reality sets in, they will feel cheated and probably never shop at that store again.

Juiced up simulators sound like a bad way to keep reoccurring customers.

Specifically on the gc2 that are in most golf stores. The setting is labeled "Shot Distance Boost"

As you can see below mine is right next to me and I don't have that setting. Could be just my monitor however and it was removed.

Sorry for the blurry picture it was snapped this instant as its by my feet in my office.

e6aqy3ez.jpg

Josh, come to think of it, itmight be the software the monitor is hooked up to. The setting I've seen is in the lcd monitor that displays the shot tracer and shot data.

I know for a fact the foresight gc2 at the store near me is not juiced up, because I get pretty much the exact numbers I expect from well struck shots with my irons on it. Plus the pro uses it for lessons, so I would sincerely hope he doesn't have this option on.

In my experience, I've seen more people upset that their mythical 250 yard drives are really 220 yard drives than I have people that are longer than normal. These are non-store sims though.

This is why I always try to take my current gamer in when comparing drivers. I know how far I hit my driver on the course, therfore I can relate how far I would hit the tested driver by comparing numbers.

It's funny, the golf Galaxy I go to has a simulator on one side and a launch monitor on the other side. They use the launch monitor for lessons and fittings and the simulator for people who just want to hit clubs on their own before they buy them. The simulator definitely inflates the numbers

Where I go to get fitted has 2 bays, one to test/try new equipment on and one by appointment only that you get fitted on. I was warming up before my fitting on the test/try one and was hitting my 7 iron a good 20 yards further than I normally do consistently. When i went into the private room for a fitting I was hitting it back to my normal shot distance.

ydapazeq.jpg

Here is the image. It was a simulator, not a launch monitor. Not sure which one from the picture though. From the comments, I'll be sure to bring my driver in the store when I go to buy for comparison' s sake.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

I think its juiced up a bit. Probably around 20 yards or so. With those numbers I would expect your carry to be around 280 or so.

I know the Foresight software most shops run has a "Shot Boost" feature. I found it at a local store when my 5 wood was going 310.

I know the Foresight software most shops run has a "Shot Boost" feature. I found it at a local store when my 5 wood was going 310.

I remember when I first noticed that feature at a big box retailer's sim. I have been skeptical ever since.

It seems when I get on simulators I hit my irons farther than normal but I hit my driver shorter. I just take it with a grain of salt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only hit my 5 wood around 190 or so. Went into the local academy and the guy set me up with a club and it said 185, so I thought, you know, "pretty accurate!" Then the guy told me that the distances were off by 10% and I really hit it over 200. I think he wanted me to buy something.

Experienced this shot boost on a foresight this evening toying with an i25 driver. SS of 107, spin of 2400 and carry of 292. I don't think so. But regardless of the carry number I'm now in serious ponder mode for that driver.

Tappin it up

It's been said a few times prior in this thread, but the only way to compare a driver (or distance) in the store is to have your gamer with you. If the simulator is in fact "juiced," then your gamer driver will be reflective of that juiced distance as well.

I think the stores absolutely inflate the numbers on the sim. In fact the guy in golf galaxy told my pop and I they estimate it to be about 8%-10% more than what you would expect. As far as simulators and distances go, if the sim is zeroed in and playing accurate I think the carry distances are very accurate on them.

Back