Cobra Bio Cell+ Driver - Review Thread

Negative. Fowler is bombing the regular Bio Cell.

Interestingly enough Cobra knew from the start he would go regular, likes the feel of it and the natural ball flight of the head fits his desires more than the +.

The past 3 days I've been putting this one through its paces more both on the range and the course.

General thoughts about what I'm seeing:

1) Definitely fade biased as Cobra says. Zero doubt about that as its evident from the get go hitting balls.

2) The sound, again, is unlike any other composite driver I have hit. Not loud, not obnoxious, not hollow, just a nice deep solidness to it IMO. Just sounds like you are punishing the golf ball.

3) Way lower spin that the AMP Cell ever dreamed about being. Not ultra low like a J40 or SLDR mind you, but I think it will surprise many when they hit it ans see some numbers (I'm looking at you Wardy)

4) Solid launch angle for the spin, really solid actually, it wants to launch IMO, I've had zero issues getting the ball up from 9.5, 9.5D, 10.5, 10.5D, and 11.

5) The face is deep. In fact, every time I pull it from the bag it surprises me that its a Cobra, its a new direction for them for sure there.

6) The E9 face is, in fact, improved from what it already was...and that was really good. Cobra and Callaway have clearly "figured it out" as it pertains to the tech put into the face of their drivers. The forgiveness off of heel strikes is really good, yes, you still tilt the axis of the ball as it pertains to spin and will get that accentuated fade on that shot but its not dead and its not super penal in distance either. The toe strikes give a little twist sensation to the hands, but the ball still isn't as penal as one would expect here from a "players" model driver like this. This is the biggest surprise area of this driver IMO.

7) Its as long as one would hope, and probably expect. Distance is not an issue out of this head, again, this will come back to fitting for the individual, but I think witht he spin in this head there is a LOT that can be done by a good fitter to work with this head and individuals.

8) The contrast in person is surprising still, in a good way. It frames the ball well and sets up beautifully.

9) The Red-Tie is def a solid stock offering that with the head profile will fit many IMO.

Love the thoughts James. e9 is a big seller in my brain and people should be flocking to it who are hitting toe side misses on their current gamer. I tried to have some fun with the Amp cell but the spin was just too much for me -- If that is improved the way you say it has, maybe I'll have another go with Cobra later in 2014 with a Cell+ to see if they've really dialed it closer to where I need it to be!

You've got me really intrigued by the sound. I'd love to hear it first hand.

Love the thoughts James. e9 is a big seller in my brain and people should be flocking to it who are hitting toe side misses on their current gamer. I tried to have some fun with the Amp cell but the spin was just too much for me -- If that is improved the way you say it has, maybe I'll have another go with Cobra later in 2014 with a Cell+ to see if they've really dialed it closer to where I need it to be!

You've got me really intrigued by the sound. I'd love to hear it first hand.

This one is a totally different beast than the AC, much lower spin, much lower CG, its a good step for Cobra IMO.

Can you compare feel / sound to the ZL Encore as I have been gaming this for the last 2 years and Bio Cell + seems to be a logical update as I really did not like feel and results from last years amp cell and amp cell pro.

Can you compare feel / sound to the ZL Encore as I have been gaming this for the last 2 years and Bio Cell + seems to be a logical update as I really did not like feel and results from last years amp cell and amp cell pro.

About 1000% better sounding and feeling IMO. The ZL's are carbon fiber and sould like pretty much every composite driver created sounded like until the Bio+ rolled around with the venollum instead of carbon fiber.

About 1000% better sounding and feeling IMO. The ZL's are carbon fiber and sould like pretty much every composite driver created sounded like until the Bio+ rolled around with the venollum instead of carbon fiber.

I have always liked composte head's softer feel.

I have always liked composte head's softer feel.

Feel is perceived differently to different people. The face in composite drivers are typically no different than that of a non composite, it is the crown where the real material difference lies.

To me, the ZL was very low and hollow sounding, so I could definitely see where you get the soft thing. The Bio+ has a much more solid and less loud sound IMO.

This one is a totally different beast than the AC, much lower spin, much lower CG, its a good step for Cobra IMO.

It really sounds like they are moving in a great direction for someone like me, but i hope it's not at the cost of guys who are struggling to get spin on drivers.

Maybe we start to see the gap between 'tour' and 'regular' models increase in the next year or so.

It really sounds like they are moving in a great direction for someone like me, but i hope it's not at the cost of guys who are struggling to get spin on drivers.

Maybe we start to see the gap between 'tour' and 'regular' models increase in the next year or so.

I really don't think it is, I'm not a high spin player and the lower spin hasn't hurt me at all as the launch is still there with the head.

B/W the models is still really interesting to me, especially as it pertains to forgiveness. Doesn't seem to be as much of a divide there as would be expected from what I have seen and from what Cobra says.

Thanks for the feedback - no bio cell plus drivers out here in New Zealand so will buy online from USA and get sent down. Hoping the red tie 6q3 plays similar to my kaili 60 in my ZL Encore. Be good to not have to re-shaft a new driver which has not been possible with cobra in last 3-4 years with there stock soft high launch typical offerings !

Has anybody hit the Alpha and BC+ and have a comparison? Many thanks...

I hit both over the weekend actually. I didn't mess with the settings on either one however so neither one were really tuned up for me. Sound, the Alpha got the nod by a slim margin. Both have a solid thwack sound to them opposed to the higher titanium pitched sound. The Bio Cell IMO reminded me more of the sound from the Razr Fit Xtreme, which the Alpha sounded similar to that but a little deeper and lower. Both had great sound, but I just preferred the Alpha sound a bit more. Ball speeds were similar on average, but with the Alpha winning the overall top ball speed at 159. The Bio Cell however won in the higher launch and lower spin category for me. Launch was in the 15's, spin at 2100, compared to the 12's and 2700-2800 from the Alpha. The Bio Cell stock shaft was really working well for me with numbers like that it appeared.

Both really are winners in my book.

Good stuff, Thanks. Were you in X flex, or S flex shafts? I'm always on the fence about S or X flex shafts. If you played the Matrix S flex, did you feel it played on the stiffer side relative to flex. I always feel that the Fubuki shafts play a little soft. I've been leaning toward the BC+, because I hit the ACP so well, but I need to go out and hit both. Cobra Drivers are just always way underrated, imo...

Nope, I was in neither and that was the most interesting thing to me. 155 ball speed, 15 launch, 2100 carry that flew 275 with the stock regular flex shaft. The Alpha was the stock shaft in stiff.

Knowing it was a regular flex shaft made me "slow down". I think what really happened is my transition smoothed out because I had the idea I was going to hit a hard hook from overpowering it. Not at all the case. Even when I tried to really go after it, I pulled it dead straight. It only went 265 carry.

Summary: stop trying to hit it hard, and go with what gives you the best numbers no matter what is written on it.

Nope, I was in neither and that was the most interesting thing to me. 155 ball speed, 15 launch, 2100 carry that flew 275 with the stock regular flex shaft. The Alpha was the stock shaft in stiff.

Knowing it was a regular flex shaft made me "slow down". I think what really happened is my transition smoothed out because I had the idea I was going to hit a hard hook from overpowering it. Not at all the case. Even when I tried to really go after it, I pulled it dead straight. It only went 265 carry.

Summary: stop trying to hit it hard, and go with what gives you the best numbers no matter what is written on it.

SummaryII: Its a solid driver. :alien:

You bring that bad boy to Indy and I'll try it out for you

I think I can handle the reviewing.

But I can venture to say it will make the trip :alien:

I think I can handle the reviewing.

But I can venture to say it will make the trip :alien:

Oh it wouldn't be for review, it just might of possibly came up missing replaced by a older driver. But I wouldn't do that!

Oh it wouldn't be for review, it just might of possibly came up missing replaced by a older driver. But I wouldn't do that!

Hahahaha! It can make an appearance.

I got out again yesterday, more thoughts on that later but this one will officially be going to writing very very soon.

But honestly, do you prefer This model over the Bio Cell or even the amp cell at address

But honestly, do you prefer This model over the Bio Cell or even the amp cell at address

I've not hit the Bio yet, but I should have thoughts on that soon enough. As for the Bio+ vs AC, I prefer the Bio as its 440cc but with the massively deep face it just looks meaner at address to me. That said, I don't think you could go wrong with any of them from an aesthetics at address standpoint.

Just sent off two shafts to get Bio Cell + adapters installed.

Just adapters?

What else have you done sir....

Just adapters at the moment. I will have the chance to hit this driver outside in a few weeks and just like having options.

Just adapters at the moment. I will have the chance to hit this driver outside in a few weeks and just like having options.

I cannot wait to hear your thoughts.

Golfsmith had a 15% off sale today. So I joined the Bio Cell+ club :D

I have only hit it in the fitting bay, but I went in to try this one, both of the Bertha offerings, and the new Ping. The Bio Cell came out on top for me. My best hits were with the stock stiff Red Tie shaft and the 9.5 loft setting. My swing speed was a bit on the slow side today and my 5 best shots out of a dozen or so averaged 98mph ss, 240 carry, 270 total distance, 14.5* launch angle, and 2400 RPM total spin, with about 2250 of that backspin. I need to tinker some more to see if I can improve on that with 10.5* or so loft, but I was very happy with the ball flight and the sound/feel of the driver. Keep in mind that was hitting some very well used e7 balls on a GC2. I can't wait to see what it will do with a brand new Lethal in its grasp!

To be fair, none of the drivers I demo'd today had grips that fit me (I use oversize plus one wrap on my driver) so I think with more warmup and some better fitting grips all of my numbers would have improved. The regular Bertha also performed very well for me in the Neutral setting at 9.5* loft. The longest ball I hit on the sim was just over 280 and it was with the Bertha. I had more dispersion with that club though, and I couldn't really adjust to the feel of the stock shaft. The average with it was about the same as the Bio Cell +, with mishits being more... missed. The Alpha wasn't my cup of tea. It was nice, no doubt, but it wasn't $500 nice. The Ping was great performance-wise but it just didn't suit my eye like the other two do. I didn't hit it as much, mainly for that reason. It came down to the Bio Cell+ and the Big Bertha. The Bio won mostly on forgiveness and looks (this one was close... the Bertha is gorgeous but I have a lot of amp cell red at the top of my bag already :D) and so it came home with me.

Here are a few pics I snapped when I got home. Some stickers still on in a couple of the pics:

cAajmAE.jpg

k8k2cxx.jpg

ZOY5uYB.jpg

glew2Uf.jpg

Looking forward to putting it in play this weekend and providing more feedback down the road

Good stuff baldguy! Nice picture of the color detail on the head cover.

Back