Nike VR_S Covert 2.0 Driver Review

Took some more swings with this... not a fan of the stock grip

Mine arrived 2 days ago. We have mountains of snow in Chicago. I may book the simulator at my course to try it out. The specs on the stock küro kage 60g shaft are impressive. Reminds me of my UST ProForce 65g shaft that is in one of my 3 woods. The pear shape really hides the 460cc size. PM me if you'd like to know where I got it and what I paid.

Regards,

Tom

Took some more swings with this... not a fan of the stock grip

Stock grip really isn't that solid, especially in wet or humid conditions. Downright awful come to think of it.

Too bad they couldn't an ACE wrap in the same color. Much better grip.

I went to GG Sunday afternoon to hit the BB and maybe the BBA. My swing was way off on just about everything. The guy there gave me a covert 2.0 and closed the face a degree - it definitely performed better than the BB, BBA, and was right there with the SLDR. And I do not like Nike clubs, so no bias here. I really liked the look from above as well. It seemed to me to be a huge improvement from the original Covert! Definitely worth a good look.

Too bad they couldn't an ACE wrap in the same color. Much better grip.

Ace, PURE, either one. Heck, a red and black NDMC would have worked great.

Ace, PURE, either one. Heck, a red and black NDMC would have worked great.

I get why they did it though. It looks awesome. 2G is one pretty grip.

Looks really good on these. End of the day a grip is a grip. You can easily replace it if you want.

I agree, the red does really pop. It certainly looks sharp, it just needs a bit of better moisture control. Like Dean said, it can be changed out quick enough. It was just a surprise when it almost went flying cause my grip was a bit wet.

Just got back from hitting this one for a bit. Hawk, your assessment was dead on for me. Good improvement over last year.

Just got back from hitting this one for a bit. Hawk, your assessment was dead on for me. Good improvement over last year.

Thanks for that! Seems like most that we've heard from have said something similar, though from a fitting standpoint it may not be exactly the same driver it was for 1.0 fans.

Great write-up, the Covert definitely piqued my interest, but decided not to make a change.

I have had a chance to play my new Covert 2.0 Tour driver a few times now and so far my only complaint is that it's hard to get up in the air. Coming from a Covert 1.0 Performance head with the KK Silver 70G Stiff Shaft to the the Covert 2.0 Tour KK Silver 60G X-Stiff shaft both set at 11.5 I hit the previous model higher.

I am debating on taking the model back and getting the stiff model instead of the X although I like the feel I am not sure I can get it up in the air. I have a tendency to swing a little down on the ball and am obviously working on that, but man sometimes I hit the driver 15 feet off the ground with tons of roll which is fine in the summer, but is tough in wet conditions.

As far as the look of the head, thats what really sold me on the 2.0 Tour. It looks like a huge 3 wood on the end of your stick and I really liked that comparison. I have a tendency to miss mine inside some and even the miss hits are better than the covert 1 on the inside.

Why did you move from a S to X flex? What's your SS? I have one that should be arriving soon with the TiNi X in it. I'm interested in giving it a workout.

107mph avg. I loved the feel of it in the store plus I was getting great numbers there. I often feel like the store numbers are skewed to make clubs look better if they are close though. Don't know if there is any truth to that or not.

I have had a chance to play my new Covert 2.0 Tour driver a few times now and so far my only complaint is that it's hard to get up in the air. Coming from a Covert 1.0 Performance head with the KK Silver 70G Stiff Shaft to the the Covert 2.0 Tour KK Silver 60G X-Stiff shaft both set at 11.5 I hit the previous model higher.

I am debating on taking the model back and getting the stiff model instead of the X although I like the feel I am not sure I can get it up in the air. I have a tendency to swing a little down on the ball and am obviously working on that, but man sometimes I hit the driver 15 feet off the ground with tons of roll which is fine in the summer, but is tough in wet conditions.

As far as the look of the head, thats what really sold me on the 2.0 Tour. It looks like a huge 3 wood on the end of your stick and I really liked that comparison. I have a tendency to miss mine inside some and even the miss hits are better than the covert 1 on the inside.

I'm going to guess the lower launch is attributed to the x-stiff shaft along with going from the performance head to the tour head. I believe the tour head launches a bit lower than the performance head. I would say you could get the stiff stock shaft and be fine with it.

I'm going to guess the lower launch is attributed to the x-stiff shaft along with going from the performance head to the tour head. I believe the tour head launches a bit lower than the performance head. I would say you could get the stiff stock shaft and be fine with it.

After getting a quick lesson over the weekend my instructor mentioned that I wasn't staying behind the ball. He fixed me up and gave me some swing thoughts, and that really helped. He thought the shaft/head combo was fine as even my low balls were down the middle. Just need to work on ensuring an upward strike on the ball.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk

I gamed the standard R flex Rocketballz driver for the past two years. It was my first adult driver and it served me well. My driver swing speed is now up to 108, so it was time for a new club. (the dispersion with the rbi driver was getting rediculous so i assumed that the shaft was the problem.) I went to the PGA Tour Super Store and messed around with this year's new drivers. I was getting mixed results because my swing is still pretty inconsistent after hibernating through this winter. This all changed when I picked up the Covert 2.0. For some reason, I couldn't mis hit this club even if I tried. I went back to the store on several occasions and the results were the same. I was getting a solid carry of about 245-255, with a nice penetrating draw. I was getting similar distance numbers with the other leading drivers like the sldr, bertha and i25, but ill take the one that puts me in the fairway any day. Between the Stiff Kuro Kage and the new head, It seems that my driver inconsistencies have disappeared (according to the About Golf simulator.) Overall, this christmas ornament of a driver has earned its place in my bag, and I have to wait another 2 weeks to try it outside at my schools golf team tryouts.

Now, on a separate note, I noticed that with all my new clubs in a stiff shaft this year, I was getting a significant bump in distance over my regular flex rbz clubs in the fall. Does a change in flex really change the distance numbers that much? or is it a combination of the shaft with the head that has amounted to my gain of about 30 yards in carry over my rocketballz? It just seems odd that I can get that vast change in numbers over 3 months...

Probably a combo of both. See a difference in ball height at all?

Was Between this and the ping g25 for me. Just felt more confident with the ping. Both aer great clubs

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Probably a combo of both. See a difference in ball height at all?
The ball flight was a little more penetrating than my last driver, other than that, it had the same shape.

Interesting. At that swing speed you could probably even hit it farther if everything lines up.

30 yards is huge gain. Would have to see some pretty good improvements in ball speed, not to mention some better launch/spin numbers. Without before/after numbers I'd be spitballing though.

Interesting. At that swing speed you could probably even hit it farther if everything lines up.

30 yards is huge gain. Would have to see some pretty good improvements in ball speed, not to mention some better launch/spin numbers. Without before/after numbers I'd be spitballing though.
Next time I go to the simulator, Ill write down some numbers

Definitely do that. I'm glad you found something that got you some improvement. This is a surprise driver for me. After last year's feedback I wasn't expecting much, but it appears to be a good improvement and quite a few are enjoying it.

Back