Is Height Really An Advantage?

Golds

Reaction score
Handicap
NY Winter
I hear all the time that height (how tall someone is) has a major impact on powerful swings. Whenever I hear people talking about a player (pro or amateur) who crushes the ball, they always come to the conclusion that "well he's 6'4", he crushes it." Is height really that much of a factor when it comes to crushing the ball and getting good distance? Obviously there's golfers out there who are considered short and have great distance, but say I am an athletic 5'9" and suddenly grew to 6'5", do I gain yardage?

Lot's of variables there, but if you want to get to the physics of it, if all other factors are equal, the taller guy should generate more club head speed due to the lever being greater in length.

Again, this is purely hypothetical and assuming all other factors are constant.

Obviously there are a lot of ways to generate club head speed so you don't have to be tall to bomb it (just ask Rickie Fowler or Rory Mcilroy).

Last edited:
Tough to say. Some pretty small dudes out there on Tour that hit the ball pretty far, but I think it's got to be an advantage of some sort because of the wider arc.

It definitely helps. It creates a long arc and the further you are from the pivot point the more speed. There are other ways to generate speed but height can make it easier.

Tough to say. Some pretty small dudes out there on Tour that hit the ball pretty far, but I think it's got to be an advantage of some sort because of the wider arc.

What if that 6'4" player is using the same length shaft as the 5'9" player? It just seems more often than not, the taller player is hitting longer shots.

Agree on the long arc creating more power but it also magnifies swing flaws. Hardly ever see basketball players that can golf well. Height becomes a hindrance at some point

sent without the boss's knowledge...

What if that 6'4" player is using the same length shaft as the 5'9" player? It just seems more often than not, the taller player is hitting longer shots.

Most likely the 6'4" player will still have longer arms (I would hope as he is 7" taller!), therefore creating the wider arc/longer lever. Again, this is all perfect world, apples to apples comparisons. In reality if I sprouted an extra several inches tomorrow, I would probably have some coordination issues.

I would imagine all things being the same there is a difference due to simple physics, but i think the effect is probably relatively minor compared to the effect of excellent technique.

Look up the height of Jamie Sadlowski.

I had an old instructor tell me (and I mean this guy is old...I think he played with Young Tom Morris :alien:) that being a taller player allows you to swing a little easier because you have gravity working for you as well as more leverage. This is all assuming that your swing is in order. That doesn't mean a taller player is always going to be longer off the tee. I'm 4" taller than a guy in our regular group and he out drives me and our other friend who is an inch taller than I am.

I agree with mancest. A taller guy is going to have more clubhead speed just because of the bigger arc. Everything else being the same.

Good point, but if he were taller with longer arms and did everything else the same, he would hit it even farther. Just as if everything else were the same and he were only 5'5", he would not hit it as far.

The long drive guys are just freaks anyway!

Just to clarify, not saying that the taller guy will always hit it farther. There are some minor details such as coordination, athletic ability and oh yeah a good swing that have a little bit to do with the results.

I know if I choke down on my driver I don't hit it as far. Would think this would be the same thing as shorter arms and not chking down?

I hear all the time that height (how tall someone is) has a major impact on powerful swings. Whenever I hear people talking about a player (pro or amateur) who crushes the ball, they always come to the conclusion that "well he's 6'4", he crushes it." Is height really that much of a factor when it comes to crushing the ball and getting good distance? Obviously there's golfers out there who are considered short and have great distance, but say I am an athletic 5'9" and suddenly grew to 6'5", do I gain yardage?

I'm 6'2 and my brother is 5'8. We have the same body type and same swing. I hit it further with the same effort because I have a wider swing arc because of longer arms. So yes you gain yardage.

The gap gets smaller as the lofts go up though.

I would think if it were possible to have 2 guys exactly the same build, strength, swing one is 5-9 other is 6-4, the 6-4 will hit the ball farther.

This thread makes me remember when I sold my set of Adams irons to a guy that was 6'11..... I am like 5'10 on a good day.

I asked him when I sold them, if he thought they would be ok for him, "no problem" he said.

I saw him 2 days later at my course trying to use them.... pretty sure they were no bueno.

Key is "all things being equal." I think the taller you are there are longer "moving parts" to keep in synch, which can be a problem.

The ball would (given all equals) go further yes but I don't think its an advantage. Wider arc mean faster head but also means further traveled head. Its hard enough to control the swing with great consistency as it is. Now add the head speed and the extra length to trying to control it all. So it could actually be advantageous to the shorter arc swinger when it comes to controlling it all. I guess it all depends which way one views it all.

I am 6-4 and hit the ball very short distances, of course I am 66 and did not start seriously playing until I was in my 50's so that certainly figures into it.

I play with a 64 year old who drives it 260....

I play with a 75 year old who hits it 260 all the time. He's no taller than me. Makes me sick, hahaha.

Taller? I'd like to try that once......... :act-up:

Since that's not gonna happen, I'll just keep swinging!:alien2:

JM

There is certainly a leverage advantage for taller players but golf is more than just club head speed. Bottom line is nearly all of the major's in the last 50 years have been won by guys under 6'1". I don't see golf becoming a game dominated by tall players anytime soon. Golf is mostly mental and short game. Clearly you can be 6' or less and plenty long. Tiger, Rory, and Sergio come to mind. For the tall, putting becomes more difficult and the long levers are less coordinated under pressure, IMO. My buddies that are over 6'2" are all mediocre to bad putters. I know many great putters that are 5'9" or shorter.

Here are the stats to prove my point. There are 58 players 6'1" or taller in the top 200 and 142 6' 0" or shorter. Only 19 players are 6'3" or taller in the top 200. Of course, there aren't that many guys that are 6'3" or taller in the population either.

# of Players in top 200 at certain height:

6' 5" -- 1
6' 4" -- 8
6' 3" -- 10
6' 2" -- 20
6' 1" -- 19
6' 0" -- 45
5' 11" - 25
5' 10" - 31
5' 9" -- 20
5' 8" -- 15
5' 7" -- 4
5' 6" -- 2

There is certainly a leverage advantage for taller players but golf is more than just club head speed. Bottom line is nearly all of the major's in the last 50 years have been won by guys under 6'1" and most were under 6'. I don't see golf becoming a game dominated by tall players anytime soon. Golf is mostly mental and short game. Clearly you can be 6' or less and plenty long. Tiger, Rory, and Sergio come to mind. Putting and the extra long levers being less coordinated under pressure for the very tall are a disadvantage, IMO.

Here are the stats to prove my point. There are 58 players 6'1" or taller in the top 200 and 142 6' 0" or shorter. Only 19 players are 6'3" or taller in the top 200.

# of Players in top 200 at certain height:

6' 5" -- 1
6' 4" -- 8
6' 3" -- 10
6' 2" -- 20
6' 1" -- 19
6' 0" -- 45
5' 11" - 25
5' 10" - 31
5' 9" -- 20
5' 8" -- 15
5' 7" -- 4
5' 6" -- 2

Do this for driving distance. That's what the thread is about. Find out average height, and then let us know how many how many in the top 50 in driving distance are above and how many are below the average.

This could completely dispel any argument that taller is an advantage! Although, what percent of all players in each of the heights you mention, are in the top 200?

On a side note, not sure what the above chart shows, until we find out what the average height on tour is! Dropping one inch, it shows 103 of the top 200 are 6 feet or taller. Isn't average height of all men like 5 foot 10 or 11? If it is 5 foot 10, then 128 of the top 200 are taller than average.

Any chart can show whatever the person showing the chart wants it to.

Back