How do you keep track of all your tips?

robmypro

Reaction score
I am learning a lot by watching DVD's from Jack, Tom Watson and the PGA Tour Academy Home Edition. I am pretty sure I am going to find myself in a situation on the course, trying to recall the exact details of a lesson I saw. Outside of memorizing everything, what do you use on course to remember your tips?

Do you have notes/tips on your phone, written down, or do you just wing it from memory? I am sure that after I have played a while things will come naturally, but i am wondering what might work for a beginner?

The worst book I ever read was The 500 Greatest Golf Tips on a train from NYC to Albany. Then went straight to the course from the train station and shot the worst 9 holes of my life. Too many swing thoughts for me is no bueno. So on the course...I don't bring any tips with me.

You could keep notes in a little notebook. One thing I learned fast when I started not too long ago is that you have to be kinda careful about what tips you listen to as not all of them will work together and what not. Different methods don't work together. The best way to improve is with lesson from a good instructor and practicing the things they have you working on.

This is why range sessions are important imo. You can work on what you want, one thing at a time and then other things, etc...Point being that is the time to correct things and practice them and get use to them so when we play they come more naturally. Easier said then done of course and may take more range sessions than we would like but also too many tips is exactly that - "too many". And also too much thinking on the course can be harmful too imo. I don't what the right answer is if there is one. We are so different not only how we play but how our minds work.

I keep a little note pad and write down when I figure something out or if someone gives me some great advice.

I usually write down a few things in my phone that I have worked on in my last lesson. Before each practice session I will look at the notes, recall what I'm working on, and go to work.

I definitely get that too many tips can be a big negative. I am not really talking about maintaining a tip library, but rather a notebook. It sounds like I need to start adding notes on my phone.

Even having two things in my head is too much. I focus on one thing until I master it and then I move on to the next one.

I try to only think about things on the range and hopefully I'll engrain those habits there so I don't have to think about it on the course, too much information will eventually have a reverse effect.

I try not to have any "tips" when I get out on the course. On the range I pick out one or two things, preferably things that pertain to my setup and backswing. But once my body starts down, I don't want to be thinking much of anything. I was to be as relaxed and fluid as possible. I want to groove those things on the range so that when I get on the course I'm just swinging my swing.

This is why range sessions are important imo. You can work on what you want, one thing at a time and then other things, etc...Point being that is the time to correct things and practice them and get use to them so when we play they come more naturally. Easier said then done of course and may take more range sessions than we would like but also too many tips is exactly that - "too many". And also too much thinking on the course can be harmful too imo. I don't what the right answer is if there is one. We are so different not only how we play but how our minds work.

I agree. If you get a "tip" and it works, it becomes the norm, so no reason to make a note. Golf tips work for some and do nothing for others. Our swings are all different.

I don't use tips. My experience is that people who use tips are patching together a swing that does not have good fundamentals behind it.
A few lessons and a tune up here and there and you could play really good golf and improve rather than putting patches on patches.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Back