The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear ya. We will figure it out Mike and we'll be hitting bombs before we know it.
Yeah i was just joking cause that's where I'm at while working to regain distance

ok thanks for the tip. i wish my Ceiling in the basement was another 3 feet so I could practice that. I think my irons have really improved because I can practice them all the time.

I feel like my whole game is coming along for the same reason. Being able to go to the driving range and putting green any time is making me feel like I am making progress. Today I focused on distance control with my putting, and really think I found the right stroke for 3, 6 and 9 footers.

I also finished watching Tom Watson's DVD (highly recommended!), and was able to practice what I learned. Watch DVD, go try. Come back, rewind, watch again. Try again. With all the indoor practice I am starting to recognize why I hit a bad shot, and I can try to correct it immediately. Only problem now?

Why is there snow on the ground? I really want to play!

Good to hear your making progress. That's always helpful to have that even when there's snow on the ground. I have not watched Tom Watson's DVD but have heard all kinds of good things from it. Going to have to check it out.
I feel like my whole game is coming along for the same reason. Being able to go to the driving range and putting green any time is making me feel like I am making progress. Today I focused on distance control with my putting, and really think I found the right stroke for 3, 6 and 9 footers.

I also finished watching Tom Watson's DVD (highly recommended!), and was able to practice what I learned. Watch DVD, go try. Come back, rewind, watch again. Try again. With all the indoor practice I am starting to recognize why I hit a bad shot, and I can try to correct it immediately. Only problem now?

Why is there snow on the ground? I really want to play!

Did some suspension training last night and today I don't think there's a muscle below my head that isn't sore. Tells me I'm doing something worthwhile at least lol.

Practiced today. Drills and full swings for testing. Up/down as expected. Faster tempo seems to be the better option for me. Better turn, less sway, and just a better move overall.

Here's my practice setup today. Gate drill and working on consistent set up position. Feet go just inside barely touching the white sticks, big toes bump up against the orange stick. Been working this for about an hour now and my back isn't sore at all. Last season much time spent putting would result in some soreness in my back. But nothing today. Shows me my time spent in the gym is paying off.

Here's my practice setup today. Gate drill and working on consistent set up position. Feet go just inside barely touching the white sticks, big toes bump up against the orange stick. Been working this for about an hour now and my back isn't sore at all. Last season much time spent putting would result in some soreness in my back. But nothing today. Shows me my time spent in the gym is paying off.
I tried doing the gate drill today with tee's with my irons and finally quite after I kept hitting them. Guess I need to get my consistency down pat or Ill be hitting alot of tee's.

I tried doing the gate drill today with tee's with my irons and finally quite after I kept hitting them. Guess I need to get my consistency down pat or Ill be hitting alot of tee's.

Start wide and then slowly pinch them in. I'm at between 1/8-1/4 inch between the "gate" and the putter. Don't get frustrated with it. Widen your gate and stick to that drill and you will see some nice results with it.

Will do man, say when the snow is gone this is one thing I will be doing out on the range. Im usually a toe hitter so I need this to help me out.
Start wide and then slowly pinch them in. I'm at between 1/8-1/4 inch between the "gate" and the putter. Don't get frustrated with it. Widen your gate and stick to that drill and you will see some nice results with it.

Socked in by an early visit from monsoon season. Gale force winds and torrential downpours. Yuck. So limited to the garage, working for about an hour on some full swing drills I got from my coach. Working on grooving the hands turning over naturally through the golf swing, and using the hips to create the swing path. Feels good.

Good to hear your making progress. That's always helpful to have that even when there's snow on the ground. I have not watched Tom Watson's DVD but have heard all kinds of good things from it. Going to have to check it out.

Yeah, it feels good. I am hitting the equivalent of probably 5 or 6 large buckets each week, and doing quite a bit putting. Tom's video is really well done. He pretty much covers every type of shot, and explains things in an easy to understand fashion. He doesn't complicate things. I think the DVD can help anyone with their game. For $30 for 2 DVD's it is a no brainer.

With my birdieball one thing I am doing that is really helping is covering the hole that is about 1 foot from the end. I used the green cutout, and just plugged it. Then I focus on putting from different distances, with goal being to roll the ball over the plug - without the ball rolling off the end of the putting surface. This forced me to real get my distance control down. My logic is that I am not going to see a lot of perfectly straight putts on the course, so reading greens is going to be an ongoing challenge I can't really work on at home. But I can work on trying to avoid 3 putting from 10 feet out.

Anyone have tips to avoid snap hooking on tee shots with the driver?

There could be many different problems but when I was snap hooking it was because my takeaway was WAY too far inside and I was swinging too far right. This may not be your problem but it's something to look at.

Lots of causes for that, when it happens to me I'm way to flat in the back swing and really coming from the inside, it's terrible. Can you post a video for Freddie? He'll get you squared away.

I went to the range for a couple hours yesterday and had a pretty crappy session. It was cold and it started to rain a little but I just couldn't get anything online. I had a little 10 yard pull that hung around for most of the session until I pulled the driver. I was smoking the driver and it was by far the shining moment in the practice session. It's weird, having put my Titleist back in the bag after the SLDR I swear I hit it higher and farther than I did before, it was surprising to say the least. For the irons I put my MP68's in for the session and the lack of offset was a contributor to the pull, I just couldn't get the ball lined up properly, the swing weight difference was really noticeable too. Just an off day. Blah!

Did some work on distance control on Friday evening and realized at some distances my accuracy and distance control is money. For others I definitely need to put some time in and dial in. #TimeToDoSeriousWork

I think my lessons that begin this week will further my progress and correct some flaws I've found in my swing. Things look promising and I can't begin to say how excited about the transformations.

Spent some time at the range yesterday focusing on my posture. I was pretty impressed that working on my posture and spine angle this week translated pretty quickly to the range. Everything felt more stable and connected, and the contact and ball flight were much improved. Still some bottom groove interaction, but that is caused by my hands getting behind me. A constant battle. I did notice, though, that even the thin shots were straight or just with a little draw.

I also noticed iced that I was back to another old, bad habit: not turning my shoulders properly. Instead of making a full shoulder turn, I was only turning about halfway back, and my hands/arms would just push inside to get my hands in the right feel position. The result is that my hands get way inside, the club head crosses the line substantially, and the club gets hooded. Lots of nasty hooks when the move got too extreme.

When end I focused only on my left shoulder turning to my chin, two things happened. First, my backswing immediately slowed down. Second, everything fell into the proper position, and I was hitting everything straight. Contact was good and bad, lots of thin shots with the driver. I think I am just "jumping" too much and not keeping a knee flex. Again, a work in progress.

Something I'll mention in the Alpha thread, but it's worth noting here. Apart from a couple really bad swings, most of my "terrible" shots still fell within a 15-20 yard space. I'll take that any day.

Canadan proved yesterday that his "I haven't swung a club in a couple months" swing is still better than mine. With that said, he pointed out that I get a little unstable as I move from the top through the downswing. I was working on a proper weight transfer and hitting down on the ball. Towards the end I was working on a grip change, going from vvvveeerrryyy strong to more neutral. I find it amazing how simply changing your hands effects the swing. Lots of new feelings on the range and I'm eager to spend more time on them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

It is always shocking to me how much your grip affects your swing. When I get in a funk, that's the first thing that I check. Usually, my grip is a little different, and I start making swing changes to accommodate.

And Dan's game is fantastic no matter the season.

Going to the golf dome today, I have a few thoughts in my head that I want to see if they work.

Always good to get a few swings in!

Canadan proved yesterday that his "I haven't swung a club in a couple months" swing is still better than mine. With that said, he pointed out that I get a little unstable as I move from the top through the downswing. I was working on a proper weight transfer and hitting down on the ball. Towards the end I was working on a grip change, going from vvvveeerrryyy strong to more neutral. I find it amazing how simply changing your hands effects the swing. Lots of new feelings on the range and I'm eager to spend more time on them.

You have a great player and a dude to work on your game with very close to you and I'm happy that you two are working together. Dan will have you in tip top shape come MC time.

You have a great player and a dude to work on your game with very close to you and I'm happy that you two are working together. Dan will have you in tip top shape come MC time.

So much truth to you're statement. He demands your best!

I couldn't sink a putt this morning to save my life. Spent some time with the plane board and all is right with the world again.

spent a little over an hour last night at the range working on my downswing making sure my lower body moves first and the hands following.....very hard after 30yrs of not paying attention to some of the fundamentals, but I am making some progress....but the commitment for better ball striking and more distance continues......now if the weather would cooperate

Really nice range session today. It's solidified the things that I was working on yesterday. Posture is still important, and is my focus. I'm also really focusing on turning my shoulders and keeping my hands "slow" which promotes better turn.

Ball striking was really nice today. Very happy to see things clicking again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back