What made you choose your home club?

the boss

golf addict help me!!
Reaction score
Handicap
Last year I joined a club, main reasons it was close by, in good condition albeit short and cheap @£52 a month. It's a hotels course so no real clubhouse and golf community. This year I Have have researched alot more in to the local clubs and have joined my uncles club. Its as close really looked after, has really good practice facilities (which they will allow my daughter on anytime) the course is 6200 yards and the clubhouse/golf community is really lively and its only £70 a month.

So what made you choose your home club?

Only decent track around for about 70 miles.

Definitely location and price. Its the closest one to my home that gives some killer deals on membership. I also enjoy the atmosphere, the people are friendly

I picked mine because after playing it for about a year, I never got tired of it. I also really like the pro and assistant pro. Price and proximity played a factor, but they were not the main reasons.

Location then the state of the website.

I got a council season ticket with access to 6 courses, all the courses have at least one club affiliated with them and I got free membership of an affiliated club for a year.
The closest course had two clubs, went with the one with the most up to date website.

Renewed last week so worked out great!

Whilst I was filling in the paper work the receptionist took my 2 daughters for a tour, she gave them the code to the ladies locker rooms and made them feel really welcome. I thoughtthat was nice and when my youngest had asked her 5 million questions she still made a fuss of her.

Have not pulled the trigger yet (will do so next year) but the one we're eyeing is less than a mile from the house, has a pool (so the wife has something to look forward to while I golf), is fairly priced, and was recently renovated. Not sure which factor takes precedence, but the location is ideal for us.

Only have 2 courses where I live. One is an exclusive private club that is out of my price range so it made my decision easy.

I first picked my course because of the cost and it was only 15 minutes from my house. I pick it now because I work there. :D

This will be the 3rd year for us at our course. Chose it for the following reasons.

1)It's about a 10 minute drive.
2)The people there are good to us
3)The course is fun and can be played in lot's of different ways. It's not long, but it's tight. Hired a new greenskeeper last year and he pumped a lot of money and work in to the place.
4)Never have any issues getting out.
5)Online tee times. My old course didn't have them, but I love how I can see the entire tee time list and # of people in what slot.

Ease of access, price, proximity.

There's one I am SERIOUSLY looking into but the rate is almost 80% more and it's a 30 minute one-way drive from my house, almost 55 minutes from my office.

We moved, so I had to really consider other clubs a few years ago. I made an excel sheet with distance, price etc factors. My old, and current home club was the cheapest, middle distance, best conditioned 36-holes in the whole country and I like it.

We moved, so I had to really consider other clubs a few years ago. I made an excel sheet with distance, price etc factors. My old, and current home club was the cheapest, middle distance, best conditioned 36-holes in the whole country and I like it.

you should have just put an ad in the paper that said "Which Golf Club wants to invite this Rock Star to be a member"

Price and variety. I am a member at Andrews AFB, which has three 18-hole courses, and the annual rate is only around $1325 for my rank. And if I get sent somewhere for 6 months or change bases in the middle of the year, they'll refund me the remainder. The local county course would charge me $2500 for a 7-day membership. It's a nicer course, but not $1200 nicer. The drive out to Andrews is usually pretty easy up I-95 in the early morning and if I'm lucky I can hit the HOV home in the afternoon on the weekends. If I take a day off during the week to play, I can usually time it just right to avoid the worst of the traffic.

My own locker, 10min on a bike from work and then golf. Love it. (and it´s cheap with the best greens in the county)

Main reasons for me were:
Location, 5 minutes from my office
Fabulous course for the $$$

Several reasons

Location - 5 minutes from my house
Price - Most reasonable within 30 miles
Atmosphere - Very friendly, golf only club
It's where my son will play his High School home matches for the next 4 years

I don't have one at this time, but I have been a member at two of the local courses at one time or another. They both had their pro's and con's. If I was going to rejoin one of them again, price not being an issue? I'd join the club here in town where I work. Better fairways, better greens, club pro is a good guy with good buys on clubs and equipment.
They are both on my drive home, so there's that, but the club here is town is just better over all, plus they have a driving range.

I'm not a member anywhere, but the course I call my "home" is where I first joined a league in 2005. Basically, it's the people that work there that keep me going back. And it's relatively inexpensive. And a funky layout that can be as challenging as you want it to be.

Bethpage is my home course but as a NY State public course there is no membership...they have 5 courses and of course one of them is the Black...greens fee are reasonable and unlike many Long Island courses you can walk anytime time any day

Location and price. My parents were already members at my home course in the 60's and early 70's when I started playing. All the other courses within 30 miles around were all private and expensive, so I've just stayed there for the past 40+ years.

Proximity and I work there, so I golf for free. Not the best track in the world (check for a review when snow melts) but it does the job.

My wife started working there. Plus it is only about eight minutes away.

Funny thing though, we played this course in 2009 and she hated it. Not the course so much, but the clubhouse. Said it was filthy and she wouldn't be coming back. She quit her job in insurance in 2011 and wanted to get a fun job, so she sent out emails to courses in the area seeking employment. The GM replied and had her come in. She is now the course manager as of this season. One other thing, he said he never pays attention to email job apps, but for some reason he did hers. And was happy he did.

EDIT: The clubhouse is now immaculate.

Price, location and the pro is a friend of mine. But he is leaving this year so 1 and 3 could change.

Back