Last year's model vs This Year's

GoldenBear67

Reaction score
Handicap
I was curious how people feel when the new model comes out and you invested in last year's model.

1) What do you need to see distance/feature wise from the new club to make the plunge? (+10 yds, +20 yds / more adjustments/lofts etc.)
2) Is the loss in your investment a factor if will you purchase the new model?

This happened to me after I upgraded my bag last year with Xhot hybrid & Amp Cell hybrid and don't get me wrong I'm by no means upset that new models came out, I just feel after hitting both new models that it wasn't worth the new investment as my clubs still have alot of life left in them.

Everyone views this differently and new models coming out is in inevitability. I see many people going after previous model year clubs for half the price of the new stuff, but they are certainly not half the performance. It's all on personal preference.

You can tell by my bag that I really don't care too much about gaming clubs that are not current. I make it easy on myself by testing equipment this year, to help decide purchases for next year. I like to take advantage of discounts and avoid the "loss of investment" conundrum all together. It would have to be something incredibly profound for me to pay full price and even then, I would likely try to hold off until the price came down.

Everyone views this differently and new models coming out is in inevitability. I see many people going after previous model year clubs for half the price of the new stuff, but they are certainly not half the performance. It's all on personal preference.

I figured that would be the case and I know some people just have to have the lastest model, but I was really curious in what people need to see from the new model to make the purchase after buying last years model.

I figured that would be the case and I know some people just have to have the lastest model, but I was really curious in what people need to see from the new model to make the purchase after buying last years model.

Oh definitely. I, for one, look for forgiveness, distance, feel, and looks in that order. If all 4 are improved over my current, I'll get it no matter what model year it is (pending price too).

Shaft changes tend to help switch if they work. Generally it is hard to switch so quickly though.

As previously stated, I think its all personal. Some like cutting edge, just-released technology, others enjoy the financial benefits of buying last year's model - golf clubs, automobiles, etc...

I just bought a SC GoLo putter this year, and specifically wanted and bought the 2013 version which has the black head. I could have opted for the new 2014 silver metallic one, but I think the 2013 model looks nicer - they both cost the same and both roll the ball the same as far as I was concerned.

This is where I'm at right with driver. I bought my X Hot driver in May 2012 and it was in fact longer than the Ping I had at the time. I'm also very accurate with the driver. Now comes the new drivers from Callaway including the X Hot 2, so I'll be doing further heads up demo and monitor work to see if there is anything from me to gain trading up less than a year later.

I did not notice much difference between the 910 D2 vs 913 D2 so I did not upgrade and I probably will not upgrade to the ?915? D2 when it comes out, unless there is a dramatic increase in feel, accuracy, and especially stock shaft options.

To a point, my theory on this is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. That at least works for one model year with me, but then I'll just get itchy for something new and go for it.

Its all in the marketing. There is no way, no way, you are going to gain 10 yards every year. Buying the latest and greatest golf equipment is no different than the latest car model. Depreciated before you even leave the store. I think it is worth upgrading every 3-4 years (maybe) but certainly not every year.

BTW I have tested multiple drivers, shafts, lofts against my Ping G20 and I can not better it.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

I like new stuff. Even if its the same as old stuff.

Its all in the marketing. There is no way, no way, you are going to gain 10 yards every year. Buying the latest and greatest golf equipment is no different than the latest car model. Depreciated before you even leave the store. I think it is worth upgrading every 3-4 years (maybe) but certainly not every year.

BTW I have tested multiple drivers, shafts, lofts against my Ping G20 and I can not better it.

Its all in the fitting.

Clubs DO change, don't sell the R&D departments short. Look no further than Cobra this year from the AC to all the tech that went into the Bio and Bio+, having played and reviewed them, TOTALLY different beasts. Will you gain 10 yards? That is a FITTING issue, some people dang sure could, others might not. To say its all marketing though is doing a disservice to the R&D that goes into clubs.

That one area I really need to improve on as far as knowledge goes is shafts. Jman is there really a noticeable difference between the Bio Cell & Amp Cell with a proper fitting? Stock stiff vs Stock stiff did not produce a noteable gain for me but again I was not fitted.

That one area I really need to improve on as far as knowledge goes is shafts. Jman is there really a noticeable difference between the Bio Cell & Amp Cell with a proper fitting? Stock stiff vs Stock stiff did not produce a noteable gain for me but again I was not fitted.

Big spin difference in the two heads, the Bio is more low-mid while the AC is a true mid-mid spin head. The shafts play a role, but IMO not as much as some like to think, in the end the head is the key component. But, it varies person to person, thats the kicker, there aren't bad clubs, everything will fit someone the best.

I envision that I'll own a couple of sets of irons from this point forward. Not too interested in swapping out iron sets every couple of years. They're an investment for the bulk of my bag, so I'd prefer that part stay static until something really knocks my socks off. Putter will also probably stay static too as long as I am gaming it well. As my wedges wear down, I'll obviously try new ones to see how they fit my game, and based on their overall price. Drivers, woods, and hybrids ... the hybrids and woods might be the most stable part of my bag outside the irons and putter, with the driver getting a looksee every couple of years. Like the wedges, it is going to also be a cost issue and I'm more likely to be a release behind the most current one.

Not selling R&D short but my average drive 5 years ago was 278. Average present drive with plus 10 annually should therefore be 328. Hopefully the trend will continue and in 2019 I'll eclipse the 378 yard mark.

Don't sell the marketing folks short. Properly fitted, you will not gain 10 yards a year as advertised simply by spending money on new equipment.

After getting an R1 driver last year (which I LOVE), I couldn't wait to demo the new SLDR. IMHO, it's a slight improvement over the R1, which I expected. But certainly not enough for me to spend the big bucks on the SLDR.

And now the R1 is $199, which is a STEAL.

Not selling R&D short but my average drive 5 years ago was 278. Average present drive with plus 10 annually should therefore be 328. Hopefully the trend will continue and in 2019 I'll eclipse the 378 yard mark.

Don't sell the marketing folks short. Properly fitted, you will not gain 10 yards a year as advertised simply by spending money on new equipment.

Funny, I've seen 20 yard gains with a proper fitting.

Plus the average AMATEUR drive was not 278 5 years ago, yes the internet has longballers (and some that are 'internet long'), but lets not mix the pro's in with the amateurs and blur the lines too much there.

I will almost always go with last year's model, unless the improvements are just completely un-ignorable and game changing. And even in that case, I refuse to pay full retail, I will always wait for it to at least be on sale or something. I'd also usually prefer to buy used so I can take a sizeable chunk of the depreciation hit out.

I am not in the current financial situation to take advantage of getting new clubs very often. In fact I am getting previous years models from everything golf related to get me "caught up" with my game now. With some companies putting out what seems like 4-6 different new lines of clubs every year i dont see how you can always be on top of the new equipment. I get what feels right to me and try not to worry if it is from last year or current

I don't but new models. It's a waste of money in my opinion when the price will drop six months later. They can't possibly be adding 5 yards every new model. A whole lotta hype.

Oh definitely. I, for one, look for forgiveness, distance, feel, and looks in that order. If all 4 are improved over my current, I'll get it no matter what model year it is (pending price too).

Cant say it any better than that for myself.

2013 X Hot Pro, 242 carry with the stock shaft. Had difficulty hitting off the deck if everything wasn't perfect from time to time. Cannon off the tee when I could catch it.
2014 Big Bertha 3w, 255 carry with the stock shaft. Had zero trouble hitting off the deck. Don't know what it's like to catch it right on the button... Yet.

Sometimes year to year really does show a jump in improvement.

I hit the big bertha and the x2hot in dicks today along with the razr fit extreme. Actually performed better withe RFX and its stock shaft offering. Thinking im gonna pull the trigger and get a RFX driver and 3 wood. Im a Diamana s+ fan but I found the adila to be an ok shaft in stiff. Sometimes newer isnt always better

Back