some people are just complete *&^(*%

bogeybrain

Reaction score
so for the longest time we have had a great cash game going on Saturdays and sundays until one particular person who claims himself to be a pga professional who got fired for basically being dumb decided to be a narc and write a letter to tarpon PD . This led to us losing our quota game and the head pro who is an awesome guy to force his resignation. Apparently its made some news as well. http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/03/06/gambling-on-florida-golf-course-prompts-police-investigation/

since the investigation has opened we weren't allowed to play until last week but the fact that our head pro has resigned is complete bull sh**. we were also scheduled to have all of our greens replaced with brand new pas palum greens starting in june as well and without the head pro more than likely its not going to happen or it will be done half a$$ed. it sucks that people can be like that

that is a pretty jerk move, though I thought the statute only applied when there was a house collecting a rake, and if it was a zero sum game, it was legal? Guess that's why i don't have my JD

I thought I heard something about this on Morning Drive this morning. But I was really paying that much attention as I was getting ready for work.

yep it was on morning drive too.. im not sure what the legal argument is though. im not a lwyer but I was under the assumption that gambling is a game of chance and that is the exact reason why gambling is allowed with bowling statewide.the way I see it golf is not a game of chance and should be in the same boat.

so for the longest time we have had a great cash game going on Saturdays and sundays until one particular person who claims himself to be a pga professional who got fired for basically being dumb decided to be a narc and write a letter to tarpon PD . This led to us losing our quota game and the head pro who is an awesome guy to force his resignation. Apparently its made some news as well. http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/03/06/gambling-on-florida-golf-course-prompts-police-investigation/

since the investigation has opened we weren't allowed to play until last week but the fact that our head pro has resigned is complete bull sh**. we were also scheduled to have all of our greens replaced with brand new pas palum greens starting in june as well and without the head pro more than likely its not going to happen or it will be done half a$$ed. it sucks that people can be like that

I am curious how much $ are we talking about, but i don't want you to answer

Odd. Why did the former pro rat you guys out?

I am curious how much $ are we talking about, but i don't want you to answer
im not going to discuss how much but lets just say that if I did happen to play in that group that I could possibly have made enough money to possibly pay my membership , possibly buy some golf clubs and possibly a few glasses of whiskey

Odd. Why did the former pro rat you guys out?
he wasn't the former pro, he was someone who claimed to be a pga pro that worked in the golf shop.

he wasn't the former pro, he was someone who claimed to be a pga pro that worked in the golf shop.

So why did he rat everybody out?

People like that are always out to get theirs and any move to sink another person is always justified in their own mind. That law I'm sure was written for grander things than 30 some guys putting a few dollars in on a round. Give me a break. This guys a dbag

That sucks. What a bummer.

im not going to discuss how much but lets just say that if I did happen to play in that group that I could possibly have made enough money to possibly pay my membership , possibly buy some golf clubs and possibly a few glasses of whiskey

That's a lot of money...but who cares, if it's between a group of private "consenting" individuals. As long as the club isn't taking in anything from it. For that matter, how is it different from an organized tourney"?

Geez, what a dbag.
Spoiler
Spoiler
That's all you hear about at my course. There must be three of them running independently on any weekend. And this is a military installation. sshhhh:beauty:

That does suck. Certainly there are thousands of golf clubs in the country that have card games played for money on the premises on a regular basis. Beware of the fired employee!

I got into some big money matches when I was a foolish kid 30 years ago but decided to give up bets over $50 after losing $420 on a match where my competitor shot 68 - I shot 70 and was giving him 3 strokes. I did finance a good chunk of my college drinking playing pool for money, however.

was it a "league" like members knew there was game every Sat/Sun and could just show up, throw in some cash & play or was it organized by the club/pro with a sign up sheet & money collected by "golf shop"

Wow, that police force is really slow on work it appears.

was it a "league" like members knew there was game every Sat/Sun and could just show up, throw in some cash & play or was it organized by the club/pro with a sign up sheet & money collected by "golf shop"

yes it was a league. the money wasn't collected in the golf shop though..it was in the cafe

There are bigger money games than that played every friday at several courses in my area. Or course money is exchanged off site after the rounds.

Capitalism: God's way of determining who is smart and who is poor!

Sometimes, its tough to soar with the Eagles when you need to deal with a Turkey. Just don't let the turkey keep you down. Just remember, everything is on the wheel, what goes around comes around. At some point the turkey will end up on the dinner table. However, I'm sorry to hear about the turkey with which you must deal, he may be upset because most know that he is not an eagle.

Wow, that police force is really slow on work it appears.
Or, when you don't have success in more pressing matters, at least grab the lowest hanging fruit available.

Back