The First Tee Organization- Growing Golf

Really good idea. My 9 year old was mentally done after about 6 holes the 1st time out. Since then he's good for 9, though he can certainly get distracted midway through the round. My 6 year old was mentally done after about 3 or 4 holes the 1st time out and maybe 6 or 7 the second time out. We'll see how she does going forward. Kids in this age range certainly don't need a lot.

And keep it easy on them, and cheap on the maintenance. No sand, no water, just fairways and rough. Easy rough, and not real short fairways and greens. They'll have more fun if it's easier to do well.

I think this is where creative designers/superintendents can help with reducing maintenance costs. Does there need to be grass everywhere? I think the Golf Channel has shown a special, on a couple of occasions, where courses were greatly reducing their water consumption and maintenance costs by removing some of the grass and/or switching some of the land over to what might have been the naturally occurring vegetation. Now, some wouldn't like this, but I think it makes sense and can add some additional "character" to a course. Although, in my area, this might mean large swaths of dandelions during the season... :dont-know:

Now the way I see this, with "naturally occurring vegetation" I automatically think of fescue/weeds/high grass which ultimately leads to lost balls which ultimately leads to a longer round - it is essentially a double-edged sword….

Many of the discussions around growing the game of golf, end up with the 'double-edged sword' dilemma. That is why our main focus with GolfMatchapp.com, and our app, is to create the best possible golfing experience for all golfers, and hopefully, this will help alleviate many of the biggest problems golf faces.
Now the way I see this, with "naturally occurring vegetation" I automatically think of fescue/weeds/high grass which ultimately leads to lost balls which ultimately leads to a longer round - it is essentially a double-edged sword….

Im going to be that guy now and I hate being that guy.
I understand now that each thread will involve promoting of a business.
Despite you speaking with THP via email and discussing just wanting to be part of the community.

If the goal is to use the THP community of wonderful members to drive traffic to your app, there is a better way to do it rather than going to SPAM.

Many of the discussions around growing the game of golf, end up with the 'double-edged sword' dilemma. That is why our main focus with GolfMatchapp.com, and our app, is to create the best possible golfing experience for all golfers, and hopefully, this will help alleviate many of the biggest problems golf faces.

Wow!!! here I thought we were discussing how to grow the game.

Shameless plugs, unreal....

There was a contest earlier this week to start 5 different threads- what better way to discuss golf than hear THP community's thoughts on what we can do to help golf thrive in the future. That being said, point taken!

The First Tee moved its local chaper to my home course i will be intrested to see how many people perticipate

Their goal is to reach 10 million kids by 2017, which is obviously a very lofty goal, but they have turned this initiative into much more than just a golf organization...the education component has come a long way ever since they started to work with a ton of inner-city schools.

Definitely a tough situation because, as you said, courses will always need to make $$ to stay open. However, discounted tee times through sites like GolfNow is not a sustainable model for the future, which is why the PGA of America has taken such a firm stance against GolfNow.

Huh? Can you provide a link to this?

I can take my son out to hit on the range and get over to one of the several par-3 layouts in my area....but that doesn't get his friends or classmates out there.

Even if say the YMCA had some type of fun golf (SNAG?) program where kids hit around in the gym, it might plant the seed.

I'm sure tennis has similar challenges keeping the pipeline full, and their infrastructure costs are a lot lower, and their equipment entry costs are tons lower.

If you bring fescue and other high grass into play, then I completely agree, that's always a possibility (I happen to like that kind of design). Or, maybe it's just switching over to a much lower maintenance grass as you get farther from the fairway and primary rough (something slow-growing, that requires less moisture). Could even take out identified areas of grass and just mulch it with something, not worrying about trying to have other vegetation there.

I think this is where creative designers/superintendents can help with reducing maintenance costs. Does there need to be grass everywhere? I think the Golf Channel has shown a special, on a couple of occasions, where courses were greatly reducing their water consumption and maintenance costs by removing some of the grass and/or switching some of the land over to what might have been the naturally occurring vegetation. Now, some wouldn't like this, but I think it makes sense and can add some additional "character" to a course. Although, in my area, this might mean large swaths of dandelions during the season... :dont-know:
There is a whole lot of research (yes, scientific research) into producing varities of sod that use less water and fertilizers, and are more disease resistant. Less water and fertilizer = cheaper costs. Of course, no one thing will help reduce costs, but everything little thing will help. I do agree with the idea that having "waste areas" can add character to a course, as can other features that don't rely on grass or other expensive to maintain vegetation.

Oh, and I love the par 3 idea. I think having a local par 3 would help my short game immensely.

PGA of America is comprised of Golf Professionals, who were seeing a hit in revenue loss through discounted tee times.
http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/787645-do-golf-course-employees-dislike-golfnowcom/page__st__240

Im sure I am missing something since I have no reason to read another forum, but all I see are forum members at another site not liking this. Is there an official stance by the PGA of America on this?

I will call our buddy there in Atlanta and see his thoughts or if he knows about an official stance.

Me, Fireitup and JLukes were just talking about this yesterday on the course. More courses really need to start allowing kids under a certain age play for free or at a greatly reduced rate at certain times during the week. Times are tough and many families aren't going to be able to pay in full for their 8yo to go out and play with them regularly. How many holes are you really going to get in with someone that age before their attention span goes to heck?

3-4 from my experience.

Bingo. My daughter plays 4-5 holes with her own ball and then we play a scramble for the rest. If the course near my house would let her play for free and charge me, we would be there 3-4 times a week. They want the full greens fee so we never go there. I don't understand why courses don't let kids play for free after say 6:00 pm. The course is basically empty then.

What a hoot

Haha
If you bring fescue and other high grass into play, then I completely agree, that's always a possibility (I happen to like that kind of design). Or, maybe it's just switching over to a much lower maintenance grass as you get farther from the fairway and primary rough (something slow-growing, that requires less moisture). Could even take out identified areas of grass and just mulch it with something, not worrying about trying to have other vegetation there.

I like that kind of design as well, but if you are a sprayer and a weekend warrior, sometimes that type of course will not be pleasant.

Now when you mention a turf requiring. Less moisture, that is a whole other conversation which is something I have thought of myself with regards to golf maintenance....

However if you just start throwing much around, it might not be as appealing to the eye. And if the course doesn't look that great, the person paying might feel upset.

Tap-tap taparoo

Im going to say this in here, because it needs to be said. Posts like that (and this is not directed at Blugold, but at everybody) are the most unwelcoming posts on any forum I have ever seen (which frankly is not that many).

I mean no quote, just a random slap in the face to dialogue that one might not agree with.
Healthy debate and conversation = Good
Troll posts with nothing behind them other than ill will = Bad

Make it faster
Make it less expensive

The idea that golf is broken is flawed. Its the concept of getting started that is broken. Putting out commercials about the 1st tee on Golf Central does little, because those watching it are already entrenched.

A lot needs to be done, but to grow anything you must find untapped markets, those "not interested" and/or those that do not believe its a viable activity for them. None of that seems to be happening in large doses.

Very well said!

The First Tee Organization- Growing Golf

Im going to say this in here, because it needs to be said. Posts like that (and this is not directed at Blugold, but at everybody) are the most unwelcoming posts on any forum I have ever seen (which frankly is not that many).

I mean no quote, just a random slap in the face to dialogue that one might not agree with.
Healthy debate and conversation = Good
Troll posts with nothing behind them other than ill will = Bad

It is directed at me. I'm the only one named. But I know what you're saying. I also know exactly what I did.

To throw out baseless accusations and claims that the PGA is against Golfnow is asinine. Then to back it up with the golf equivalent of Wikipedia is silly.

There is a whole lot of research (yes, scientific research) into producing varities of sod that use less water and fertilizers, and are more disease resistant. Less water and fertilizer = cheaper costs. Of course, no one thing will help reduce costs, but everything little thing will help. I do agree with the idea that having "waste areas" can add character to a course, as can other features that don't rely on grass or other expensive to maintain vegetation.

Oh, and I love the par 3 idea. I think having a local par 3 would help my short game immensely.

Fortunately for me (and my daughter) we have a 9-hole, par 3 course just down the road. At 8 years old, playing 9, walking, works very well, and fits her current abilities nicely. As you also pointed-out, having the par 3 leaves mostly short irons/wedges in play, for me, with a couple of holes needing a long/mid iron. I know that if I could score well on the par 3 course, it would make a big difference on a full 18.

Having worked with the First Tee Program in the past, they are doing it right. The things that I noticed (here) was a lack of knowledge that it WAS here. If you didn't really know anyone involved, the kids didn't know. So we started doing a program for kids after school, in the schools. For one spring, three days a week I would go to a different middle school and teach the golf fundamentals to the kids after school. That was really rewarding for me, and the kids LOVED it. I ended up getting a new job later that year, so I never knew if any of these kids ever got MORE involved with golf. I'd like to think they did, but I just don't know.

When they built Colbert Hills Golf Club in Manhattan, KS they also made a 9 hole, par 3 course specifically for the First Tee Program. If was open to the public and VERY affordable. You could play all day for $12 or $15 I think. I never saw many younger kids out there, but I sure did see a lot of poor college students! I use to go there a lot for a change of pace and to work on my short game. It was fun!

Last edited:
Having worked with the First Tee Program in the past, they are doing it right. The things that I noticed (here) was a lack of knowledge that it WAS here. If you didn't really know anyone involved, the kids didn't know. So we started doing a program for kids after school, in the schools. For one spring, three days a week I would go to a different middle school and teach the golf fundamentals to the kids after school. That was really rewarding for me, and the kids LOVED it. I ended up getting a new job later that year, so I never knew if any of these kids ever got MORE involved with golf. I'd like to think they did, but I just don't know.

When they built Colbert Hills Golf Club in Manhattan, KS they also made a 9 hole, par 3 course specifically for the First Tee Program. If was open to the public and VERY affordable. You could play all day for $12 or $15 I think. I never saw many younger kids out there, but I sure did see a lot of poor college students! I use to go there a lot for a change of pace and to work on my short game. It was fun!
Just wanted to say thumbs up to both parts of this post. Good job working with First Tee in that manner. And what a novel idea it is to include a par 3 course with new course developments (I gave real thought to joining a club in town precisely because they have that set up, unfortunately it is just too far from our home).

Back