John Daly - Sponsors Exemptions

fupresti

Former Big Deal
Reaction score
Handicap
Marriage
OK, so Daly puts up a 90 today to miss another cut. Is this guy really moving the needle for anyone? I can't imagine a single person saying "I was going to avoid tournament X, but since Daly is in the field I want to check it out!".

It seems like Sponsors Exemptions would be better utilized on players who can actually compete.

OK, so Daly puts up a 90 today to miss another cut. Is this guy really moving the needle for anyone? I can't imagine a single person saying "I was going to avoid tournament X, but since Daly is in the field I want to check it out!".

It seems like Sponsors Exemptions would be better utilized on players who can actually compete.

Oh man...He is awesom (just ask him).
Sadly, he still does move the needle because people view him as "the common man".

I liked him after his show...forgot he still played

Sadly, he still does move the needle because people view him as "the common man".

I just don't see it. If the dude had an impact, don't you think a legitimate OEM would have him on staff? Unless Warrior Golf pays so much its out of the question.

I just don't see it. If the dude had an impact, don't you think a legitimate OEM would have him on staff? Unless Warrior Golf pays so much its out of the question.

I dont think many OEMs would give him a shot as a major staffer. I hear a lot about "well he came back from addiction". So did Robert Garrigus and he has not burned bridges at every step. The lawsuit against the kids charity is what put it over the top for me. Absolute clown.

Two years away from the Champions Tour..Does he try and get status there or just keep trying to play on Exemptions?

Two years away from the Champions Tour..Does he try and get status there or just keep trying to play on Exemptions?

I don't think the dude has the game to compete on the Champions Tour either.

I agree but that is where he should be...those crowds are his people

I dont really he really does either, although I think he could be middle of the road. He has shown flashes over the last couple of years that he can still play. But when he turns 50 it will be interesting to see what he does.

He probably does, sadly. He'll get exemptions out there too.

He's sad to watch. Dude had immense talent and wasted all of it.

I still think the average tournament attending fan would still rather see John Daly play than say a Web.com player they have never heard of. Your average THPer who has a better identification knowledge of lesser known players would probably prefer the Web.com player.

I still think the average tournament attending fan would still rather see John Daly play than say a Web.com player they have never heard of. Your average THPer who has a better identification knowledge of lesser known players would probably prefer the Web.com player.

A lot of people also like seeing disasters and emotion...John Daly is like the crashes in NASCAR for golf.

A lot of people also like seeing disasters and emotion...John Daly is like the crashes in NASCAR for golf.

This is a large part of it. I'd also wager that Daly has more name recognition among folks who don't watch golf every weekend than most everyone outside of the top 100 (and probably more than quite a few in the top 100).

There's probably also a joke there about people who do watch golf on the weekend having no idea who JD is.

I'll go to the tournament just for his pants. ;)

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

does he just make $ off of his clothing line? so he goes to events to promote his brand because he never makes cuts.

This is a large part of it. I'd also wager that Daly has more name recognition among folks who don't watch golf every weekend than most everyone outside of the top 100 (and probably more than quite a few in the top 100).

There's probably also a joke there about people who do watch golf on the weekend having no idea who JD is.

Absolutely. Golf is changing now though where anyone can win any week. Heck a few years ago I had no idea who Dufner or Keegan were and now look at where they are popularity wise.

I dont think many OEMs would give him a shot as a major staffer. I hear a lot about "well he came back from addiction". So did Robert Garrigus and he has not burned bridges at every step. The lawsuit against the kids charity is what put it over the top for me. Absolute clown.
Don't think I ever knew about the lawsuit. When did that happen?

I thought you were being sarcastic when you said he put up a 90... amazing.

I like when Daly is in the field and follow his rounds even when he plays over in Europe. He is an oddity.

He seems to try and embody that blue collar mentality, he just doesn't strike me as a blue collar worker.

It's like a car wreck....we all have to see what happened. I think I will call his fans rubberneckers from now on.

Yeah, I think he does move the needle. There are plenty of folks that want to few that long swing in person.
I'm not sure what he brings in from clothing and such, but his name is still pretty prominent...no matter how
low his game may go.

For some reason while it would not surprise me if he never won again it also would not surprise me if out of nowhere he won. His game is that mercurial

Big John took a 12 today on a par 4........yup, that will just about do it for a round killer. I've got to see this blow up somewhere on TV tonight.

JohnD_zps25974640.jpg

Hit into a hazard once, then tried to hit the green from that hazard a few times from in the primary rough. What the hell man, why did the caddie say GREAT IDEA JOHN! TOTALLY HAVE THAT SHOT over and over again

Back