Recommended Replacement for Callaway RAZR X Black

acessence

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey Guys,

Been a while since I've been around , been a crazy year. So birthday rolled around again, and in piled the golf town GCs again. I'm Looking to upgrade my driver, since i also need to upgrade from the regular shaft to a stiff.

I've been using the Callaway Razr X Black (10.5) loft, love the weight of it, and the distance I can get and easy to draw the ball . I have a razr fit also, but found it too heavy with the regular shaft, which might of been the problem. Never seem to hit well with it, always opened up on me. I tried out a Titleist 913 for a few rounds, and felt pretty good, and hit well with it. So its definitely in the running.

I tend to hit the Black, with a low launch, the titleist 913 was launching a little higher, and longer and it had a stiff shaft.

Potential Drivers I'm currently looking at :
Big Bertha, Big Berth Alpha, Mizunzo JPX ,Titleist 913 , Razr Fit Extreme, X2 Hot Drivers, Clevland 588 Custom,TM R1

Thanks guys, look forward to your feedback

What are you looking to gain by switching? Or is it just a case, like most of us, of wanting something newer?

Little bit of both, I changed my swing last year, and developed a draw in all my swings from my irons(grrrrrrrr) to my driver, I Love the draw I'm getting in my driver, so I know I have to make some adjustments to my swing again, but in doing so I know I'll probably again straighten out my driver again, and possibly to a slice(worst case). So I'd like a driver with some flexibility that might assist in keeping a draw, while I work out the kinks with my irons.

Typically golf problem, fix one thing break, something else

I'm not so sure you're going to find a direct replacement. If you want something completely different, there are plenty of options and I think you have a good list to start with. Not too many drivers out there like the Black any more. It was ultra shallow and pretty light if I remember correctly. I suppose something like the Cleveland Altitude and TM JetSpeed would be sort of in the same realm.

Maybe give the Callaway Optiforce a look. I know it was a good lightweight option. Like Hawk said, not going to be direct replacement but it was a good performer.

Oooh good one Dev. Forgot about the Opt.

Thanks, Ill have to take look at the optiforce, I was a little hesitant, seemed like one of those budget drivers they just throw out every one and a while.

My main preference with the black, was the speed, and as mentioned it was a learning curve with the slim profile on the club, a lot of idiot marks the first few times out.

How has the optiforce fared in comparison to the newer lineup from callaway. I'm not opposed to going to a club that is not exactly the same, as I think alot of my issues were with the regular shaft, on my clubs, and having the razr fit club lag behind, and the black being lighter didn't seem to lag as much

The Optiforce was far from a budget driver thrown out there. It is a great driver with some serious pop on it. I was ready to trade off my RAZR Fit Extreme for it last summer.

I just traded the RFX for the new Big Bertha Alpha though and couldn't be happier with my launch monitor numbers. I hope to put it in play within the next week or so.

If you love the driver, why not just have the reg. shaft pulled and an equivalent stiff version installed? A lot cheaper and you'll know it'll work for you.

Partly because I have $400 in Gift cards to Golf town and there burning a hole in my pocket, and I only got them today LOL.

I am very happy with the rest of the setup with my callaway irons,hybrids, and wedges. I can pickup a black for $139.99 from golf town here, but if there in improvement to be made, and something that has some adjustments Id like to consider, as my black has none.

Plus shinny & new is always satisfying to golfers LOL

I'm not so sure you're going to find a direct replacement. If you want something completely different, there are plenty of options and I think you have a good list to start with. Not too many drivers out there like the Black any more. It was ultra shallow and pretty light if I remember correctly. I suppose something like the Cleveland Altitude and TM JetSpeed would be sort of in the same realm.

Cleveland Altitude is probably the best replacement. Optiforce is solid in one section, but plays considerably deeper than the OP's current and far less spinny.

Partly because I have $400 in Gift cards to Golf town and there burning a hole in my pocket, and I only got them today LOL.

I am very happy with the rest of the setup with my callaway irons,hybrids, and wedges. I can pickup a black for $139.99 from golf town here, but if there in improvement to be made, and something that has some adjustments Id like to consider, as my black has none.

Plus shinny & new is always satisfying to golfers LOL

I would recommend at least giving the Optiforce a try. Here is a tidbit about the driver and it seems to follow along the lines of the Razr Black in terms of a lightweight option. Obviously like I said earlier it is not a direct replacement but a solid option nonetheless.

Both drivers feature Callaway’s Speed Optimized Technology, which is a combination of a lightweight aerodynamic head, light shaft and grip, designed to produce more ball speed and distance. Speed Optimized Technology is combined with Callaway’s Speed Frame Face technology that creates a larger sweet spot and maximizes ball speeds across the face, even on mishits.

Thanks again guys , I went and triied all the drivers suggested and ended up with the bug bertha , triied every driver and more , covert, i25, etc , was the most consistent with the bertha averaged 276 on distance , longest drive of all clubs 298 , average backspin of 3075 , so yah ill post my tidbit in the bertha forum soon

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Also my fastest swing speed of 112 averaged 108

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Back