Adams 2014 Pro Hybrid Review Thread

Did some more work today with this hybrid & think I figured it out. This club does not like to be "leaned" on. Warming up this morning I was a little rushed and wasn't really paying attention to my tempo.
I stepped on the 1st with the plan to just get it in the fairway. Slowed my tempo down & put a smooth swing on it, mid launch & straight as an arrow flight 215 yards. Just lovely.
A few holes later, I found my second shot to be 200 yards from the side of a hill, ball well above my feet. This type of shot isn't usually very successful for me but I pulled the Pro, put another smooth swing on it & put it on the green.
Smooth swings are good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Photos:

288.jpg

289.jpg

284.jpg

1ff25b70-8ea4-498f-bcf7-57d71c02786a.jpg

285.jpg

287.jpg

286.jpg

290.jpg

Looks:

This thing is flat out gorgeous. Honestly, one of the best looking hybrids I have seen in awhile. It sets up very neutral to the ball, and the size is small, without being too small. It is a tad bigger than my X2Hot and doesn't have the alignment aid, but I didn't find that to be an issue. The slot is something that I was a bit nervous about, but it almost serves as an alignment aid of sorts, and really isn't thick, and in fact I completely forgot about it once I hit a few shots. The stock headcover and the other one Adams gave us are both very nice looking. I have always felt Adams does a great job with their headcovers, and this one certainly is no exception. It looks good, and is easy to get on and off the club.

Shaft:

The stock shaft is the Aldila Tour Red and it comes in at 75 grams. It is about 10 grams less than what is in my X2Hot, but doesn't feel light or whippy at all to me. I swing at about 105-108 with my driver, and this thing performed well with my swing. This is supposed to be the highest launching of the Tour series from Aldila, but I didn't find that it balooned at all, in fact, it reminded me a lot of the Tour Green, maybe a touch lower. I would call it a mid-high ball flight, not as high as the flight I am seeing in my AD-DI shafts, but I didn't expect that.

Grip:

I am not sure what the stock grip is, but I don't like it. It is rough, but not like an NDMC, in fact I found it to be pretty uncomfortable. Not a huge issue at all, and an easy swap, but something I don't care for. Some of their other clubs come with Iomic grips, and I think that would have been a better option with this club.

Performance:

I didn't get a ton of swings with this on Saturday, but the ones I hit with it were pretty solid. On the range I was seeing a nice, mid-high ball flight that got up and faded a few yards, which is what I expect to see with my swing. When I got lazy with it, it produced a pretty sizeable fade, or what I might consider a slice. The 6-7 times I hit in on the course a couple were very solid, but a few were the high slice that I see with all my clubs when I put a bad swing on it. I will say, for being a "pro" hybrid it is quite forgiving. Most of my mishits were on the toe and I didn't seem to find a TON of distance lost. My best swing with it produced a shot that ended up about 235 yards long, which is an impressive amount of distance for me. I will need more time with it to decide if it is going to find a place in my bag, but for now I am pretty impressed.

Sound:

Not really anything negative to say here either. On well struck shots I thought it provided a nice solid sound, not as good as my X2Hot hybrids, but I think Callaway makes just about the best sounding clubs in the business. It isn't tingy or anything that I would consider displeasing, just a nice solid sound.

Like I said, I am going to need some more time with this one, but so far I am enjoying it. Don't be scared by the "pro" name as I think this club could fit a lot of golfers, and it has a very solid stock shaft in it to boot. Thanks to :adams: and :thp: for this awesome hybrid, I look forward to continue putting it through its paces.

Love those grey covers.

thank you to you and the others in this thread for the solid reviews

I had another round with this club. Although it was only 8 holes I hit it several times and loved the results. For some reason more so than any other club when you try to get "extra" out of this that's where the problems creep in. Just trust a nice tempo'd swing & it will give you the results. If not for the saturated fairways I would have easily gotten 200yd+ consistently.

I do need to get the stock grip changed as it's not for me, but other than that this will be in my bag for a while.

this club is really solidifying its place in my bag and begging me to add some of its relatives. Today I stepped up to a long par 3 (playing from the tips) - 195 to the flag and into a *very* stiff wind. It felt like a 3 club wind to me, but I thought my 5W would have been a little bit too long. I opted for the adams pro hybrid 20* which is normally my 230yd club. Put a nice smooth swing on it and stuck it hole high about 15 ft left of the pin and on the green! it's just so easy to hit this thing straight. Two holes later into that same very heavy wind, I used the adams again for my second shot and it flat out went where I told it to go. No muss, no fuss, just a nice predictable flight - right on target. I'm loving it

Tried it out on the range today with Shakey and I have to say that this club is definitely not for me. I am getting a very unpredictable ball flight, a lack of distance and dispersion is terrible. IMO I think this it has more to do with the shaft than anything else. It feels unstable to me. I really had to slow my swing down in order to get a decent result and I really dont like that. I like to go after the ball sometimes and I can not do that with this club. I then took out the Super 9031 with the D+82hy shaft and was hitting bombs with it and getting a nice penetrating ball flight with a little draw to it. I really hate to post this kind of review, but I am just being honest here.

dru, what shaft did you get in yours?

maybe it's the shaft you aren't getting along with, but could it maybe be the swingweight? a little of both?

maybe it's the shaft you aren't getting along with, but could it maybe be the swingweight? a little of both?

It is the shaft that is not a good fit for me. They are both a D2 swing weight, so its not that.

i hate to hear it. I know a couple other people didn't get along with it, either. As with so many clubs, there are lots of folks it does fit, too. Such is golf :)

if you decide to send it to a new home I'm sure it will be jumped on quickly.

Has any one found these to be more fade bias
I have an LSP from last year I had to put a few grams on the heel to straight the ball flight out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I remember correctly, the guys at Adams said they were. I could be wrong though.

It is the shaft that is not a good fit for me. They are both a D2 swing weight, so its not that.

Too bad they dont have hybrid fitting carts, id love to see you hit this with the same shaft as your 9031 and be able to compare results!

These hybrids are badass. Have gotten extremely comfortable with my 20.

Too bad they dont have hybrid fitting carts, id love to see you hit this with the same shaft as your 9031 and be able to compare results!

I know. I would like to see what kind of results I would get with that shaft in that hybrid.

These hybrids are badass. Have gotten extremely comfortable with my 20.

Glad this hybrid is working for you. Wish it worked for me.

Best hybo they have released in a couple years

I would like to try the xtd. This would be replacing my 19 degree hybrid and it just isn't really coming close distance wise to my 19. In fact, it is about the same distance as my 22. Not sure if I am not getting along with the stock shaft or what, but I want to try xtd with the red tie goodness!

Best hybo they have released in a couple years

I've only sparingly hit previous offerings, but this one is knocking it out of the park for me. Before this my hybrids were the AMP Cell and I thought those were great, but the distance gains from this line are great. As a player who does not bag fairway woods this one is filling a yardage gap that I need. I think I am considering picking up the 16* and complete the top of my bag.

I should just stay out of here.

I've only sparingly hit previous offerings, but this one is knocking it out of the park for me. Before this my hybrids were the AMP Cell and I thought those were great, but the distance gains from this line are great. As a player who does not bag fairway woods this one is filling a yardage gap that I need. I think I am considering picking up the 16* and complete the top of my bag.

Thats a wise move there Mike. Im like you in that I dont bag fairway woods.

If you swung from the correct side of the ball I would send you mine to try out in a heartbeat dude

I loved the LS and the shaft obviously has me very interested.

Back