choppstixxx

AK Look-a-like
Reaction score
Handicap
Just trying to blow off some steam.
I usually try and go to a grass range at all possible, but since winter has been lingering I have been forced to go to the only outdoor range that is open year round (Big Oak for all you WNY). They have artificial grass mats, but where you hit off of is a different type of "fluffier" mat.
Yesterday I was there and every shot I made was high on the face to inside near the heel (I even hit some off the hosel which I have never done in my golf lifetime!). I couldn't understand what was going on since in weeks prior I was doing none of the above.
Then I realized (at the end of my bucket) that the mat I was using was warped to hell, the thing was practically cupped in a "U" shape making the hitting area severely higher. To add insult to injury the range was sloped upwards, therefore this all combined to these wacky contact shots. There goes $8 and an hour of my time down the drain.
Anyone experience similar range woes?

I just don't like the really hard mats. I spent a couple winters with a messed up wrist and I just can't make myself hit the ball like I should with them.

I hate mats in general, but the one course I usually use (Shadow Pines) has really nice large spongy mats.

That's what I have at home. Much kinder to the wrists and I can hit into it.

I prefer grass, but typically hit the ball off of the mats ok.

However on Friday I had a shank fest off this slab of concrete they called a mat, luckily it didnt carry over to the course.

I hate the mats at typical ranges have. It really messes with my swing the next time out until I have played enough holes to correct.

I prefer grass, but typically hit the ball off of the mats ok.

However on Friday I had a shank fest off this slab of concrete they called a mat, luckily it didnt carry over to the course.

Mike,

Which driving range did you go to?

I won't hit off the mats unless they have the soft rough like grass on them. They always kill my wrist and I don't think if gives you a true feel for what's going on during contact. I try to always hit off grass.

Mike,

Which driving range did you go to?
It was the range at the RTJ Course at Palmetto Dunes. Essentially a concrete slab with some green patio carpet over it.

Will not hit off mats !!! There are too bad for your wrists and elbows, not worth it.

Yea, I hate matts - but they are a necessary evil in winter here. One thing I always pay attention to is the ball being above the feet. Seems to happen because where everyone stands presses down that area, so if you don't notice it and adjust your grip, you can hit some weird shots and think it's in your swing!

I have had bad experiences with wavy, lumpy, and hard mats. It can be very frustrating. A year ago I hurt my wrists on hard mats at a golf simulator, but I was able to get them to switch to Country Club Elite mats from http://www.realfeelgolfmats.com/. They are the best mats that I have ever used. If they hadn't switched out the mats, I would have bought one of the small mats to take with me. I don't need the frustration of hitting off bad mats.

It was the range at the RTJ Course at Palmetto Dunes. Essentially a concrete slab with some green patio carpet over it.

Sounds about spot on

I have had bad experiences with wavy, lumpy, and hard mats. It can be very frustrating. A year ago I hurt my wrists on hard mats at a golf simulator, but I was able to get them to switch to Country Club Elite mats from http://www.realfeelgolfmats.com/. They are the best mats that I have ever used. If they hadn't switched out the mats, I would have bought one of the small mats to take with me. I don't need the frustration of hitting off bad mats.

I posted a review of the CCE mat here. http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...f-Mat-Review&p=2571502&viewfull=1#post2571502

I didn't even know they were open already haha I need to head up and hit some balls. I haven't hit anything outside I'll be happy even on a mat.

I hate all driving range mats. I sprained my left thumb 2 weeks ago due to one of them. It is still bothering me when I try to swing.

I hate range mat my local course finally switched back to grass this week i tend to not hit through the ball on mats or i hit them thin

I don't play off of mats, so I'm not practicing off of them.........

I feel like I get more from dry swings than from hitting off mats personally. I feel your pain dude.

I hate all driving range mats. I sprained my left thumb 2 weeks ago due to one of them. It is still bothering me when I try to swing.

Yup. I've got a sore left wrist from hitting two small buckets off of mats. I always swear that I'm only going to hit driver when the grass isn't open, but decent days to get the range have been few and far between, so I've been making exceptions the past few weeks. I'm regretting that.

Man you guys certainly seem to have it better than we do around here if you can refuse the practice off of mats. There are a ton of golf courses around here and nothing within 45-60 mins has anything but mats, ever. There are 2-3 courses out toward the valley that have grass but you pay a premium to use them & even they are still mats 60% of the year.

I guess living in a place where the grass growing season is fairly small and the rainy season can be 12 months a year, you can't turn the general public loose on a grass range.

I go to two different ranges in the winter, both have very high quality mats. That being said I find it much more productive to work on long clubs (5i-hybrids-driver) when hitting on the mats. Mats just seem too forgiving when hitting short irons.

Back