Votes: 32 13.4%
  • 150yards

Votes: 70 29.3%
  • 160 yards

Votes: 61 25.5%
  • 165 and up

Votes: 76 31.8%

• Total voters
Nate, I want to hit that ball like you. That's long.

My 7-iron is about 155-160.

155-160 is my range as well. Oh, to hit a 7i 175, but that requires the iffy 5i for me.

I would pull my 7i for a standard 170yd shot, but would have to adjust for wind, elevation, etc in reality...

Steel!?!? They're called WOODs because they're made of WOOD

This is a lie. They are called "woods" because that is where i hit them; into the woods. :)

James, for what it may be worth, you are not alone. Thank you for posting, because I was beginning to think I was alone and was beginning to think other than my age something was wrong with me. Regardless of the yardage, the important aspect of the 7 iron is that whenever its used other than a lay up, the ball should end up somewhere on the green.

The beauty of tee it forward. It doesn't matter how far you hit your clubs!!! Get to the right tee boxes, and hit some greens!!

The beauty of tee it forward. It doesn't matter how far you hit your clubs!!! Get to the right tee boxes, and hit some greens!!

Oh so true buddy, I played in HHI and played up a box from normal and used 4i off the tee most of the front 9 till I got some confidence and played some of my best scoring golf ever. I may have had longer clubs into greens than normal but was sitting in the middle of the fairway.

Playing the right tees is a huge benefit to ones game and much more fun. Hitting FWDs into greens or par 3's is not necessary and completely avoidable.

Because this quickly turned into a measuring/bragging thread and it's not really bragging when one mans 7 iron is lofted like another mans 6 iron.

...nope...

James, for what it may be worth, you are not alone. Thank you for posting, because I was beginning to think I was alone and was beginning to think other than my age something was wrong with me. Regardless of the yardage, the important aspect of the 7 iron is that whenever its used other than a lay up, the ball should end up somewhere on the green.

Like age, it's just a number. Play from the right tee box and swing your swing. I hope I am able to enjoy the game at an advanced age. When I get to that number, I'm going to be pretty darn proud of my 130 7i

In most cases I hit my 7i between 170-180 but if I have wind going against/with me it can drastically change (+-20yards) due to the height at which I hit all of my irons.

I guess, if you want to play by yourself. I beat my buddies from the blues most of the time, even though some of them out drive me by as much as 50 yards. No chance they are going to let me hit from the whites.

I guess, if you want to play by yourself. I beat my buddies from the blues most of the time, even though some of them out drive me by as much as 50 yards. No chance they are going to let me hit from the whites.

Sounds like you need more understanding friends. I see this ridiculousness all the time at my club, where the long hitters take offense to the guys who are shorter hitters moving up a tee box. Bet you money it's because their massive advantage off the tee is reduced by 20-30 yards and they can't handle it.

Pathetic. I'm sorry, but I find that to be absolutely 100% pathetic (as someone constantly telling people to move up who I outdrive by 40 yards with ease). Tell them to tee it forward and respect Mr. Palmer.

Sounds like you need more understanding friends. I see this ridiculousness all the time at my club, where the long hitters take offense to the guys who are shorter hitters moving up a tee box. Bet you money it's because their massive advantage off the tee is reduced by 20-30 yards and they can't handle it.

Pathetic. I'm sorry, but I find that to be absolutely 100% pathetic (as someone constantly telling people to move up who I outdrive by 40 yards with ease). Tell them to tee it forward and respect Mr. Palmer.

Boom! Green tees as often as I can...Although we won't discuss you out driving me with a 3w, my back is sore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

That's fair, but what about tournaments? They won't let you pick your tee box in any kind of competition that I know of.

That's fair, but what about tournaments? They won't let you pick your tee box in any kind of competition that I know of.

I'm sure Canadan will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the tournaments at are club that are handicapped allow you to play the tee at which your handicap is established. Obviously I can't speak for outside events though.

I'm sure Canadan will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the tournaments at are club that are handicapped allow you to play the tee at which your handicap is established. Obviously I can't speak for outside events though.

Not at Canadan's club.

I thought you use the slop to calculate your course handy depending on the tees so as you move back HC goes up
at my club at Tournaments are played from back tees and you use your course HC

I thought you use the slop to calculate your course handy depending on the tees so as you move back HC goes up
at my club at Tournaments are played from back tees and you use your course HC

I'm speaking for Canadan here. At his course, age and index is used to select tees. This causes players to play back further from ideal so they can have easier tournament tees.

140-150 for me

I think it depends on the course. Mine doesn't, and I'm about to argue with them until they fix it. They worry so much about following along with USGA rules and regs, yet don't bother to allow people to tee it forward in tournaments. Still a focus on age instead of length.

Kind of a push away from the topic at hand, so if you want to chat about it more, I'm sure there's a Tee it Forward thread we can take it to.

Some of the longest guys at my club are over age 60. They are also carry -1.0 to 1 indexes. I could care less if they let people tee it forward in a tournament as long as they adjust for course rating/slope. If I played the forward tees my index would go up as I don't find the 6610 yard tees at my club 1.8 strokes easier than the 6970 tees.

Back