Start of my golf career

6ixOhFore

Husky Eyes
Reaction score
Handicap
Just waiting for my interview at a local course for a pro shop job. The past summer brought me back into the game I love. Looking to further my game and career, this is my first small step. Have been researching about the golf academy and just deciding which one will be best for me. As I live in Canada many are on the other side of the country mostly Ontario and quite a few in the US. Not really in a rush to get signed up, looking to make the best choice with the most options. Is anyone in this forum apart of either American or Canadian golf industry who can provide some advice. Thanks in advance.

The only advice I would give is don't get into the golf industry because you love to play the game. More often than not, it will lead to less golf being played.

I toiled as a PGA assistant for many years and it can be very rewarding. But it's not a path to the PGA tour or even a mini tour. You can learn a great deal and run a course but to do it right, you hours are long and your play is limited.

The only advice I would give is don't get into the golf industry because you love to play the game. More often than not, it will lead to less golf being played.

10000 x this

I agree. Our PGA Professional is the owner of our home course (since 1960) and the only time he gets to play golf is in the winter off season when he is in Florida. When I was younger, I had a long talk with him about becoming a PGA Professional and he talked me out of it. I can tell you our pro puts in 16 hour days from April to November and he is 80 years old. The guy never stops all day from daylight to dark. He loves golf and better yet, he loves teaching kids the game, but as he has pointed out to me, it is a hard life and there are huge risks.

Start of my golf career

That's the thing. I agree with all your advice. I would be opening the pro shop at 530 5 days a week. April to October would be my seasonal standing, the dry months around here. And when I am off its 130 which is the busy time there. Only time I may play is my days off which I have another job and most likely working there as we'll. Guess the driving range is my practice and "play". I am still iffy about the job, the " perks" come with a penalty as we'll. Some thinking is needed here first I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck whatever you decide.

Back