Ole Gray's Journey Back

I love seeing the Bill! I look forward to following along with your journey! And better yet I can't wait till we get some pasture pool in again soon

I hear ya buddy?⛳

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to hear you recovered, I know what it is like to be down, seems that when I hit 60 y.o., things just hit your body that is hard to shake, Wish you well.

Glad to hear you recovered, I know what it is like to be down, seems that when I hit 60 y.o., things just hit your body that is hard to shake, Wish you well.

This is so true ^^^^^^^^^. Thanks old timer and stay healthy ya self?

Good to hear you are back from the DL! Enjoy the journey back.

Go get em Bill. Hope you get back with zero pain!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Paid my money today for the five pack. Ouch!?

Nice OG!! Take that game to the woodshed so you can take Harry and his ragtag band of bums to the woodshed come April!! :deadhorse:

Nice OG!! Take that game to the woodshed so you can take Harry and his ragtag band of bums to the woodshed come April!! :deadhorse:

It's funny how golf is . I'm hitting the ball extremely well today. After I paid for my package ? oh well I'm start outing with a putting lesson ?

Paid my money today for the five pack. Ouch!?

Had to go to the woodshed and dig up a mason jar huh?

Glad your taking it to another level grey dont want to make it to easy for sox and I :)

It's funny how golf is . I'm hitting the ball extremely well today. After I paid for my package  oh well I'm start outing with a putting lesson 

Hahaha yep, that sounds about right. Just like as soon as I buy a new 3 wood, I'll start hitting this one on a string. :bulgy-eyes:

Hey OG just caught up with this thread and wishing you all the best for your lessons and its great to hear your knee is sorted out , I feel for you having had a similar length of less than good golfing due to injury ...onwards and upwards buddy !!!

Glad to hear you are back into it OG.

Hey OG just caught up with this thread and wishing you all the best for your lessons and its great to hear your knee is sorted out , I feel for you having had a similar length of less than good golfing due to injury ...onwards and upwards buddy !!!

I hope you are healthy now Ranger! It sucks having to go through a big surgery but worth it in the end. Golf with less pain is cool :thumb:

I have my first lesson schedule for Tuesday at 3:00 p.m. Details about what we are working on will be added that day. Looking forward to it!

Pulling for ya buddy! I know you've got plenty of gas left in the tank! Can't wait to see you back in form!

OG,
Glad to hear you're finally on the mend, I'm looking forward to following along.

Of course something tells me that KB will have digging and planting in mind as part of your "recovery".:D

Lesson #1 - March 20th, 2014

Today was my first lesson for 2014 with my new head pro. I told him have at it and let's just say I'm a blank canvas and to show me how to strike the golf ball solid. So we worked on my grip to make sure it was correct. He asked me to pull out my eight iron and hit a few shots and we would start from there.

Focal point one: My left hand was too much on top of the club with the right hand in a strong position. This was causing my draws to have that occasional hook tendency. He had me put my left thumb on top of the club with the left hand facing my target.

Focal point two: On my take away he had me shake hands with him on the take away and then elevate the club up to set my wrist. On the follow through I was to have the right hand in the shake position too.

Focal point three:
I was laid off at the top because my shoulders were turning flat in a circle instead of right shoulder up (sets back to target) and then back down and left shoulder up if this makes sense. Once I got the shoulder turn going up the right way I was really compressing the ball and hitting nice high long crisp iron shots with a slight belly roll draw. Really felt awesome. I had mentioned to him that I really wanted to get some solid consistency off the tee with my driver so we moved on to work with the big stick. He stressed for me to address my grip on setting up and working my shoulders going up and down instead of flat to flat.

Focal point four: He wanted me to stay off my heels as it was causing me to lose balance and rock out on my toes. He stressed that I should feel like the weight was resting on the inside cleat on the pad of my right foot. This is where I should target my weight. He mentioned how Ben Hogan use to press his knees slightly inward to maintain proper balance. We talked about my recent surgery and how difficult it was for me to push off my right side which would insure a good finish towards my target. He said to mention some of my concerns with my doctor ( he knows he plays golf) and we could address my physical issues. I may need a temporary brace for support until the knee completely heals and gains strength back.

Focal point five: Ball position with my driver. I have a tendency to swing too steep with my driver causing some ugly pop ups. It got so bad at one point I had to buy some of those clear pop up protectors where you lay a strip right above the face to keep those rut roe marks off the top of my shiny driver. So to flatten out my driver approach he had me put the ball off the toe of my left foot. Then all I had to do was finish my follow through and I was smashing my driver. Flat out nuking it.

One more thing he had me working on was not only ball position but where my hands were in relation to the ball. My hands were too far forward on my setup and now he has me with the hands more over the ball at setup.

Wrap up: He went through each focal point again with me to make sure I understood exactly what he was teaching me. He wants me to work on this for five straight days and then we will get together to make sure I have my points covered and executing properly. Once I show I have these fundamentals down we will move on to approach shots with my wedge game. I love this dude as he has a way of making me see the light. That's not always an easy task. :D

More coming next week :thumb:

Last edited:
Nice job OG, good to see you back out there after the knee replacement. Looking forward to teeing it up with you in Orlando in a month or so.

Go get it OG!

Great, to hear you're having a good connection with your teacher, can't wait to read about next week's progress.

Love it Bill! Great recap of the first lesson. Let us know how it goes this week implementing his teachings!

Will do guys and I'm pumped about how this package of lessons started with a good first one. Makes me thirsty for more?

You will be kicking arse in Orlando my friend. I need to get up there soon.

OG, thanks for focal point.#4. My first coach had me press my knees slightly inward to keep me from swaying. I had forgotten about that. And will try that myself tomorrow. Can't remember everything I've learned in 40 years of golfing.

Do work, OG!

Back