Ole Gray's Journey Back

I am so proud of you buddy, you will be kicking arse and taking names at The King. Glad to read about Kelly's progress to and happy that I may get to tee it up with the two of you soon.
What are your tomorrow plans, would you like to get in a round with an old coot?

Tomorrow AtlGolfer, flog2424, & Vman are coming down at 1:44 for preparation for the MC. Part of their home work is to play a different and challenging course. I'm sure Lane Creek will fit the bill for them. We'll get a little match play in to help me with my King prep as well.

Hey set up another tee time and grab a couple more THP'ers and come up and join us!

So cool that you guys are close and can get quality practice rounds in. Good luck tomorrow!

I am at the blitz. Will check into when I finish

OG keep up the work on your game big dividends will be paying off soon.

Just caught up, way to put in the work OG! Sounds like tomorrow is going to be a fun THP day.

Yesterday I had my third of five lessons with my course pro. Here is what we worked on and talked about:

Fairway bunker play
- I've been struggling a bit with not getting enough elevation our of those pesky fairway bunkers. He talked to me about my stance. He wants me to plant my feet firmly but not too deep and keeping the lower body quite. We talked about since the feet will be planted a bit lower that it would require me to choke down on the club and allow for enough club to make it out pending on how high the lip is. He said once you get your setup and club choice then swing so as to pick the ball off the sand while taking a very minimal amount of sand. I'm looking forward to practicing and using these techniques to help make this part of my game more consistent.

Irons
- We went through a refresher on my ball striking with the irons. I'm a picker of the ball and rarely take much of a divot. He said that was ok however he wanted me to learn how to compress the ball for more distance. He put a tee in the ground here it was almost leaning into the ball so I could swing through the ball and at the same time drive the tee into the ground. WOW this really helped with my ball striking! I was nuking those balls using this little tip and the visual part of it really stuck with me.

Driver - We then pulled the big stick out for some tuning up for better accuracy. He knows my swing pretty well now and what my tendencies are with the driver. I lay the club off way too often which causes me to rotate too hard at the bottom trying to square the club face back up. This causes the all too often pull or snap hook. He walked me through the proper setup again as we're really working hard on this issue. He stressed I should have my thumbs pointing upwards and the butt of the club should be pointing towards the ground. When I lay the club off, my palms are almost skyward and the butt of the club is pointing out to the right which makes it near impossible to square the club face up at impact.:beat-up: Once I started keeping my hands in the proper position I was busting some tee shots out there pretty darn niffy for an old coot!

Note:
I talked with Freddie this morning via text. He reminded me of a great tip to keep the butt of the club pointed in the right direction by placing a tee in the butt end of the grip. Love this tip!!!

I have a lot of home work to do with the fairway bunker practice and the hand position with all clubs. I'm excited to build some muscle memory where I don't have to think about this move and let it happen naturally.

Next Lesson
- I hope to see my pro Monday or Tuesday and work on green side chipping exclusively. We have a par three course which has all the various lies you could think of where we can work on this part of my game.

Hmmmm, with all of these lessons, I suspect that handicap of yours is going to be dropping sharply.....either that or you are gonna be one sneaky bandit on the course..... :D

Hmmmm, with all of these lessons, I suspect that handicap of yours is going to be dropping sharply.....either that or you are gonna be one sneaky bandit on the course..... :D

LOL yea my handicap hasn't changed much at all because I'm spending more time on the range working on stuff. I didn't think it would be this much fun but when you start seeing results, it's fun to practice. Now I have to take all this knowledge and hopefully some good playing to the King next week :bomb:

Lovin the work OG. Strokes gonna be melting off like a popsicle at a July picnic!

That's some good work there Bill! You're gonna be sharp as a tack come next week, methinks. So envious that you get to practice so often - stupid work!

LOL yea my handicap hasn't changed much at all because I'm spending more time on the range working on stuff. I didn't think it would be this much fun but when you start seeing results, it's fun to practice. Now I have to take all this knowledge and hopefully some good playing to the King next week :bomb:

As you aren't playing me with that handicap after all this work, I will say good luck and have fun at the King, but if we were ever lucky enough to tee it up together, I am not giving you any shots! :D

As you aren't playing me with that handicap after all this work, I will say good luck and have fun at the King, but if we were ever lucky enough to tee it up together, I am not giving you any shots! :D

I hope we get to tee it one day Doc! You never know. :golf2:

I hope we get to tee it one day Doc! You never know. :golf2:

It would be a privilege sir, on whichever side of the water it happened

Back