Callaway Big Bertha Driver Review

Is there any difference in taking a 9* Big Bertha and changing it to 10* versus taking a 10.5* Big Bertha and changing it to 10* ?

Is there any difference in taking a 9* Big Bertha and changing it to 10* versus taking a 10.5* Big Bertha and changing it to 10* ?

Increasing the loft will close the clubface slightly, and decreasing the loft will open it slightly. So assuming that they both start with a square face, taking a 9* Big Bertha and changing it to 10* will give it a slightly closed face, and taking a 10.5* Big Bertha and changing it to 10* will give it a slightly open face.

I'll also add that it depends on personal preference how much you want to adjust the loft. One version can get you down to 8* and the other can be increased to 12.5*.

So I was finally able to take my BB to the range. It was my first time swinging my clubs since winter started so I didn't expect much on my end. I have the 10.5* and had it set neutral +1. I was surprised to see that I wasn't getting the ball very high in the air which could be a few things, my swing, the wind right in my face, the shaft I was using (ad-di6s). The low height didn't turn me off since it was the first time out. The sound off of this club might be the best sounding club ever, I know everyone else has said it but it really is that good. The forgiveness I saw was better than my Optiforce and boy did I need it today. I didn't see a great loss in distance on my hits towards the toe(my normal miss) or slightly higher on the face. Overall I'm very happy with the way the BB performed for me. I'm looking forward to more warm days and spending more time playing around with it.

Increasing the loft will close the clubface slightly, and decreasing the loft will open it slightly. So assuming that they both start with a square face, taking a 9* Big Bertha and changing it to 10* will give it a slightly closed face, and taking a 10.5* Big Bertha and changing it to 10* will give it a slightly open face.

This explains why I was hooking the ball with it yesterday when I demoed it. I asked the pro to open up a 9* to 10* and set it slightly closed. Doing both apparently closed the club face more than intended. Wow! I still had a great round with it. Can the loft and face angle not be changed independently?

I don't think you can take a 10.5* to a 10* as it is in 1* increments, but the difference would be in lofting up, you close the face a tad and lofting down you will tend to open it up. That's the beauty of the adjustability of the Big Bertha, if you need a higher launch but open club face, slide that perimeter weight to the fade setting and BOOM, money.

This explains why I was hooking the ball with it yesterday when I demoed it. I asked the pro to open up a 9* to 10* and set it slightly closed. Doing both apparently closed the club face more than intended. Wow! I still had a great round with it. Can the loft and face angle not be changed independently?

I don't think so. As I understand it, the other adjustment in the rings is Neutral or Draw bias, but it is using lie angle not face angle to accomplish that.

I don't think so. As I understand it, the other adjustment in the rings is Neutral or Draw bias, but it is using lie angle not face angle to accomplish that.

Thanks Donne. It'll be interesting when I go for a fitting. I'm sure they'll be able to set it up right for me though.

I think Donne has is correct here in that they cannot, but adjusting that perimeter weight can do wonders with a little tinkering.

Quite a lot. I wanted to see if it REALLY worked so I knew I would need to put time in with it. Also had a couple other golfers with incredibly repeatable swings try it and they let me adjust their settings without them knowing what I set it on each time. It works.

Great review, as usual. What would be your ideal shaft and grip pairing with the alpha? Also, when you choose a grip for a driver do you consider the weight? or is it more of a feel/what you're comfortable with?

Tonight I went back to -1 Neutral with AWP at 2 draw and I think thats the best setting for me. I've pretty much eliminated the left side and no more hooks. Let's see how it works on the course and hopefully I'll find more fairways.

#BerthaLong

Tonight I went back to -1 Neutral with AWP at 2 draw and I think thats the best setting for me. I've pretty much eliminated the left side and no more hooks. Let's see how it works on the course and hopefully I'll find more fairways.

#BerthaLong

Like it dude! I'm jumping on a monitor with the Bertha, Alpha, and the X2 Hot line and seeing who comes out on top. I was really impressed with the forgiveness and length of this one. The spin was a touch high with the stock shaft for me, but very easy to fix.

Like it dude! I'm jumping on a monitor with the Bertha, Alpha, and the X2 Hot line and seeing who comes out on top. I was really impressed with the forgiveness and length of this one. The spin was a touch high with the stock shaft for me, but very easy to fix.

One of those drivers will be the prize from Monday's event right? You deserve it bro. 1 yard!!!! Hehe

One of those drivers will be the prize from Monday's event right? You deserve it bro. 1 yard!!!! Hehe

Correct. To say I'm giddy is a bit of an understatement.

This is the only driver I have hit recently where my prevailing ball flight is a slightly pulled, penetrating fade that parts the fairway. I do not like the look of this driver at address, I don't like the stock grip, and it doesn't feel great, but it sure performs.

Which one are you hoping comes out on top?

No preference. I like both Bertha's all because of that blue on top, but the X2Hot line shouldn't be taken lightly either. At least there will be no bias going into it!

No preference. I like both Bertha's all because of that blue on top, but the X2Hot line shouldn't be taken lightly either. At least there will be no bias going into it!

Smart! Yeah you really can't go wrong. It's just which one fits your swing best. Have fun testing and congrats again!

I just got my hands on one of these...I cannot wait to try it tomorrow.

Could my Amp Cell be in trouble? :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bertha is the jealous type, so that AC could be gone soon.

So true. I'm trying to figure out if Bertha or Bio Cell is the keeper and I think Bertha threw some juju on the Bio bc that thing is all over the place right now and Bertha is just so consistent. :)

:D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

So true. I'm trying to figure out if Bertha or Bio Cell is the keeper and I think Bertha threw some juju on the Bio bc that thing is all over the place right now and Bertha is just so consistent. :)

I think there's some mental in there too. :alien:

Really don't think you can go wrong with either though, I honestly don't. My favorite two drivers this year by a landslide.

I think there's some mental in there too. :alien:

Really don't think you can go wrong with either though, I honestly don't. My favorite two drivers this year by a landslide.

No doubt it's mental and I blame you :)...

Seriously just when I think it's Bertha I put a swing on the Bio that has me thinking why would I swing anything else.

That's why today I'm going on a LM to let the numbers decide once and for all. If it's close I know what had the edge, but pure numbers will decide this one.

hoping pete and I can get to a range this weekend. Really want to try this thing outside. Each time I hit it, I like it more.

This driver really impressed me today. Loved the Sound and feel with this paired with a White Tie. A few yards shorter than the Bio Cell + for me but is was dead straight.

Back