Short Game Shape Up - JB Goes To Work

Think i'm gonna stick with the pelz 3x4 system. i think it could work well for me and i see really great things coming from this for me if i get it down. i truly think after reading just part of the pelz bible today that i can really work it into my practice routine as well. and with this system in place and trying to get within 8' of the cup.... i also am going to work on my putting from 10' and 5' and lag putting only instead of wasting time on anything longer than 10' since i have little chance of making them anyway. if i feel confident from those distance and i can start getting my wedge shots within 10' could really put up some good numbers. i don't think i've been so excited about working on my game since i started at golftec. lots of reading to do over the next few days and then hoping to start getting distances and working on implementing this system ASAP... today was a good day read a few chapters and go putt for a while and keep reading. had a break through with my posture while putting today as well. might be time for a SPI follow up to get back in proper form so i'm practicing better.

Buck - which golftec do you go to?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

I like it Buck! I've had this thread bookmarked and have gone through it multiple times trying to get ideas. In the next few weeks my short game practice will begin and I will add to this thread as well.

I need to go through this thread thoroughly as my scoring clubs are by far the worst part of my game presently. My putting was horrible coming out of the winter layoff but I've put a lot of effort into working that out over the last few weeks and have improved to a point where it's actually one of my strengths now. If I can get those wedges straightened out I'll be golden.

Think i'm gonna stick with the pelz 3x4 system. i think it could work well for me and i see really great things coming from this for me if i get it down. i truly think after reading just part of the pelz bible today that i can really work it into my practice routine as well. and with this system in place and trying to get within 8' of the cup.... i also am going to work on my putting from 10' and 5' and lag putting only instead of wasting time on anything longer than 10' since i have little chance of making them anyway. if i feel confident from those distance and i can start getting my wedge shots within 10' could really put up some good numbers. i don't think i've been so excited about working on my game since i started at golftec. lots of reading to do over the next few days and then hoping to start getting distances and working on implementing this system ASAP... today was a good day read a few chapters and go putt for a while and keep reading. had a break through with my posture while putting today as well. might be time for a SPI follow up to get back in proper form so i'm practicing better.
Pelz short game was a game changer for me. Took a while to dial in my distances but once I had them down it was like clock work. Moving to new wedges going to have to go through it all over again but it's worth it.

Pelz short game was a game changer for me. Took a while to dial in my distances but once I had them down it was like clock work. Moving to new wedges going to have to go through it all over again but it's worth it.

It seems like I'm always at a weird distance for my second shots. So I know if I can get it dialed in and integrated properly this could do so much for my game. And after seeing Jake putt this weekend in Texas I'm def putting more practice time in he hasn't even played yet and was draining a lot of putts.

A worthy bump. Tons of good thoughts and practice routines within this thread.

A worthy bump. Tons of good thoughts and practice routines within this thread.

And paying off obviously with a 73 yesterday

Thanks for the bump. Been drilling a lot of Dave Stockton's techniques and principles...I haven't quite gotten the high shot grooved to where I'm really comfortable with it yet, but the mindset he espouses has been really good. I can walk up to a shot and say, "Can I hit a low shot. OK. Pick out where I want it to land, and make it happen." Very simple, and lets me plan more while standing over the ball less.

Thanks for the bump. Been drilling a lot of Dave Stockton's techniques and principles...I haven't quite gotten the high shot grooved to where I'm really comfortable with it yet, but the mindset he espouses has been really good. I can walk up to a shot and say, "Can I hit a low shot. OK. Pick out where I want it to land, and make it happen." Very simple, and lets me plan more while standing over the ball less.
I'm in the same boat Paladin. Re the flop shots, I'm learning the importance of keeping the shaft angle upright in executing the shot. Also, the fact it is harder reinforces that we should hit the low shot unless we have a reason not to.

Learned a ton from Josh this weekend. I think I have a game plan that I can use and I hope the snow melts soon so I can get to work.

One of the best parts for me is in the beginning of the thread, we all can learn a lot by doing the assessment and taking an honest look at where we all stand. The work starts from there.

Good luck JB. Looking forward to reading about you getting back to where you want to be. You can definitely do it!

Good luck JB. Looking forward to reading about you getting back to where you want to be. You can definitely do it!

Thanks buddy. But this thread is rather old. It was bumped because I had been assisting a THPer this past weekend.

This was bumped from a couple years ago. With the season getting going for many I thought it was worthy of a bump Fe those working hard on their short games. Some great thoughts and strategies to getting better with the wedge game throughout the thread.

Finally pulled off a couple of the Dave Stockton-style high shots today. Not quite as hard as I thought, I kept my hands a bit more passive, so while I got the shot much higher than my normal pitches, and landed it with a lot of less roll, it wasn't as soft as I'd like (using a less-spinny ball didn't help) and a bit too far both times, which I'm OK with. In both cases it was to clear a bunker, and I was putting pretty well, so hitting it a little far felt much better to me than leaving it short and in the bunker.

Thanks buddy. But this thread is rather old. It was bumped because I had been assisting a THPer this past weekend.

Damn, totally missed the date on this JB. So did you ultimately get your short game back to where you wanted?

Damn, totally missed the date on this JB. So did you ultimately get your short game back to where you wanted?

Yes. Then injury occurred and now Im back playing and I think it might be as good as it as been.

Yes. Then injury occurred and now Im back playing and I think it might be as good as it as been.

That's awesome JB. I am sure you are super busy with THP, so balancing it all must be fun. Glad your short game is where you want it.

I am going to be giving my short game a lot more attention (once I stop the shankfest), so I will be sure to practice your drills. Thanks for sharing them. Good stuff!

I'd love to see a duelling short games video series.

I'm just brainstorming on this: As you travel, go to events, etc. You can have other THPers, or reps from the sponsoring company take on the challenge. One location/lie two different ways to get close to the pin. Maybe a contest where THPers guess who gets closer and by how much?

I think it would be a fun way to engage and learn how to improve our games.

I never got to challenge JB in Vegas...gotta get to another event

Tap Tap Taparoo

Just had my first lesson in about a year today and it was over the 20-60 yard half shots. What an amazing experience to find out how much wrong I was doing in such a small stroke. Was using the wrong wedge, wrong swing and wrong follow-through. Now that I know what the right thing to do in the swing, I've got some distance control to dial in over the next few months. I'm going to read back on some of JB's "tests" that he did that I think will help with some of my practice sessions. Very excited.

Just had my first lesson in about a year today and it was over the 20-60 yard half shots. What an amazing experience to find out how much wrong I was doing in such a small stroke. Was using the wrong wedge, wrong swing and wrong follow-through. Now that I know what the right thing to do in the swing, I've got some distance control to dial in over the next few months. I'm going to read back on some of JB's "tests" that he did that I think will help with some of my practice sessions. Very excited.

Nate,
Let me know if I can help. I worked with 4 different coaches over the years on short game stuff and took a lot of what each taught me in the little tests.

I am in the process of the same thing. I have been working on those 10-20 yd chips this week.

Back