Wedges newbie....

Offshoredoc

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys, just getting deeper and deeper into my game. I'm a year into the game avidly. I only have a set of irons with the pitching and gap wedge.

I feel as though I need to add some lofted wedges to my bag, although I have only hit one or two in a simulator at dicks. What do you recommend for "beginners"? Brands/degrees?

First off, if I missed it, welcome to THP. Good question and lots of "right" answers. The truth is any brand will work, and most do it rather well. Personally I would recommend something with a bit of forgiveness that still has some versatility. Sadly too many companies are not putting out a lot of forgiveness in wedges, because experienced players many times do not believe they need it (and many dont).

Check out the Cleveland 588 RTX CB for a great blend of versatility with some added forgiveness.

If you are just looking to test the waters and get some assistance with bounce/etc check out the TaylorMade ATV wedges. They really help with turf interaction and can be a great set to start with.

If you want to dive in head first, I would check out either the Cleveland 588 RTX CBs (a bit more forgiveness) or the Cobra Tour Trustys.

A Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge may be a fantastic idea.

Wedges newbie....

Welcome to THP. You will find, as I did, that sometimes you can use any combination of irons to get you on the green when you are close and chipping. You will want a higher lofted wedge to get you out of the sand (54 or 56 degree) and if you can hit it consistently I have found a 60 for full swing shots works for when I am very close. I like my Wilson Staff wedges, and my instructor plays Snake Eyes wedges. Go with whatever you feel comfortable with ... It's the Indian that makes the arrow fly true, not the other way around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks guy! I typically use a 7 iron around the green for chip shots. Seems like my biggest issues are those 50 yards and in shots.

Welcome to THP! I started with cavity back wedges. They offer forgiveness on full shots but still allow you to learn different shots around the green. As others have said, the Cleveland 588 CB is a great way to go. It's a traditional wedge head with a cavity back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

What loft/degree do y'all recommend? Just get one wedge or multiple?

What loft/degree do y'all recommend? Just get one wedge or multiple?

What's you highest lofted club currently?

Gap wedge that came in my set of irons. Gap, pitching wedge, & 4-9 iron. All are Adams tight lies.

Gap wedge that came in my set of irons. Gap, pitching wedge, & 4-9 iron. All are Adams tight lies.
Having a few options are a bad thing. I would say go with the Gap wedge you have, and add a 54/55* and a 58*/60* and see how they work out for you.

As someone else mentioned, the Taylormade ATVs are great wedges. I use them and they are almost dummy proof around the greens. Very forgiving and they get through the rough quite easily.

Titlist Vo keys
You can get an SM4 model for around 80.00 now

So many brands to choose from. Reviews from vokey, atv, and 588 rtx are all good. Lol

About to head to Dick's. Will hit a few different brands but reviews have me leaving towards the Cleveland's....

About to head to Dick's. Will hit a few different brands but reviews have me leaving towards the Cleveland's....

Let us know what you find. Looking forward to your thoughts.

As a new golfer I was looking to have a flop shot in my repertoire and bought a tailor-made 60 degree and have found it to be one of the most valuable wedges I own. Sitting down off a raised green and needing to shoot high and drop it next to the pin, in a bunker with a big lip or when I have a bunker between me and the green the 60 works great! [h=1][/h]

The Mizuno JPX line of cavity back wedges may be worth having a look at.

I'm still torn between if I need a 54, 56, 58, or a 60... Lol. Think ill go with a 56, middle of the road.

I have played the JPX wedges for over a year now and how really enjoyed them. They are very forgiving plus they are a little larger than some of the other wedges. The larger head helps me be a little more confident over a shot.

Well I went with the Cleveland 588 RTX 56 degree.. I hit it, the Mizuno JPX, and the Taylormade ATV. I didn't hit the ATV well at all, but hit the Mizuno and Cleveland pretty good considering I had never really swung a lofted wedge. My average carry was around 70-75 @ 80% swing, which is what the guy at dicks told me I should be swinging with a wedge. I got a lil more carry out of the Cleveland so that was my deciding factor.

Enjoy your new wedge. I too, love the RTX line.

Great club right there. You should like it.

Back