How disciplined is your pre-shot routine?

I'm pretty consistent. 1 practice swing behind the ball (the only reason I ever take more than 1 is if the first is awful). Pick my target (usually a tree, bunker or some other landmark that's beyond the target but on the line I want), and then focus on that target as I move to address the ball. Take my grip, focus on my target again and go. I play pretty quickly. I would really like to work in some sort of waggle or tension-releasing move prior to my shot and my swing coach suggested that to me. Just haven't found what works for me yet.

I'm pretty consistent. 1 practice swing behind the ball (the only reason I ever take more than 1 is if the first is awful). Pick my target (usually a tree, bunker or some other landmark that's beyond the target but on the line I want), and then focus on that target as I move to address the ball. Take my grip, focus on my target again and go. I play pretty quickly. I would really like to work in some sort of waggle or tension-releasing move prior to my shot and my swing coach suggested that to me. Just haven't found what works for me yet.
You can try Keegan Bradley's little stutter steps routine before he addresses his ball. First time I saw it I thought he was about to settle into the sprinters blocks and run a 100m dash!

You can try Keegan Bradley's little stutter steps routine before he addresses his ball. First time I saw it I thought he was about to settle into the sprinters blocks and run a 100m dash!

Ha! I'm almost OCD enough to pull it off, but that's a bit much for me. I've tried the Dufner waggle and it just doesn't feel comfortable. I'm thinking about maybe trying just a couple flips of the club head right before address. I definitely need to tinker with it.

I think I'm more disciplined with my putting routine than my wood or iron routines.

My pre-shot routine typically is:

Stand behind ball and pick line for the shot.

While still behind ball, take 1-2 practice swings while looking at target.

Pick a spot about a foot in front of the ball and then line up and address the ball.

Sergio yip

Sergio yip

Sergio yip

Sergio yip

Sergio yip

Sergio yip

Sergio yip

Sergio yip

Sergio yip

Sergio yip

Sergio yip

Sergio yip

Sergio yip

Swing.

Putting is see the line, find a spot in front of the ball that's on the line, step up and address ball, one look at hole and then immediately putt. No practice putts, no standing over the ball.

I tried to have a routine with my irons where I would do some of the things mentioned here and would take half backswings to check alignment. However, when I pick my target and trust myself to make the shot I find that I have much more consistent ball striking.

I still have to take half swings with the driver to make sure my setup position was correct by observing the club face next the ball after the half swing. When I do this I tend to have fairly straight drives. When I don't I typically end up with a 20-30 yard off-line slice.

I also use a routine in my short-game/putting because this is my worst area. I need to build more repetition with these shots/putts before I can trust my body to do what I want it to do.

No routine here - pull club out of bag and step up and hit ball. The more I think about golf the worse I play so no practice swings or lining up for full shots.

Not very, and it is something I need to work on. I really just look down the fairway, then grip and rip. I need to focus more on seeing my shot, locating hazards, best ball position, and then just swing. The swing is about 2 seconds long, I can't clutter it with a last minute instruction.

Good stuff guys. Interesting to read about your routines!

I do the same thing pretty much every time, but I don't really think about it.

Same here. The important part for me is picking a spot 4 to 6 feet in front of the ball as the aim point in line with where I want to go. Pretty hard to aim at a target 400 yards away......

It's pretty easy, so I won't go into a huge detail. I walk myself through the shot I want to hit, where I want to hit it, all the variables of the shot with the club I want. Then I pull that club. I come behind my ball, using my shaft as a line, I pick a spot in front of the ball on that line. I then step up to the shot with my club face on that line, then address the ball. I take 3 (usually) waggles and then go.

I'm pretty consistently poor in my golfing so... take that as you will.

In the tee box I grab my club, adjust my grip, set my stance, ground my club behind the ball (except for sand traps) and swing. Prior to me quitting golf for as long as I did, I began lifting my club prior to swinging to get a feel for the weight prior to beginning me backswing. It seemed to help me tame my slice somewhat.

Left side for a draw, right side for a fade.

I'm pretty consistent when it comes to my pre-shot routine. I will say I'm not as consistent with my pre-shot putting routine as I should be. I'm working on it but I don't want it to become a mental handicap either.

I've got my routine that works for me and is very quick.

1. Assess the shot and take one 1/2 speed swing to make sure the back is loose.
2. Stand behind the ball and choose my intermediate target (this is also when I inadvertently waggle).
3. Address the ball with the face in line with the intermediate target, take my grip, do one 4 o'clock/8 o'clock swing to make sure my feet are parallel to the target and I'm swinging towards the final target.
4. Settle in and swing.

I'd say start to finish it takes 15 seconds max.

mine is horribly inconsistent... sometimes I dont swing at all, sometimes 2-3 swings but that is usually to accentuate a follow through. chips I'll practice to feel the turf reaction to my club.

Mine is relatively consistent -

1. Check yardage
2. Visualize shot from behind the ball
3. 1-2 practice swings
4. Pick spot out about 1-2 feet in front of ball for aiming and stand parallel to that line
5. Set club down with feet together
6. Step out with right foot, then left to ensure proper club placement in stance
7. Check grip is comfortable
8. Swing away

Ive been doing the pga tour home edition as well. So work in progress, and am building a pre-shot routine.

Good for you Shifty. I can also strongly recommend Jack's Golf My Way and Tom Watson's Lessons of a Lifetime. You will learn something from both that will help your game. I promise. You could also learn from worse. :)

Regarding PGA TAHE, I watched it all one time, just to understand where they were going. Then I started over and engaged the material. The 3rd time is to go over areas I am struggling with.

I would also add that my pre-shot routine is getting more and more abbreviated as everything becomes natural. But I definitely advise that you run the process every time for now, and then it will come second nature. Good luck!

Good for you Shifty. I can also strongly recommend Jack's Golf My Way and Tom Watson's Lessons of a Lifetime. You will learn something from both that will help your game. I promise. You could also learn from worse. :)

Regarding PGA TAHE, I watched it all one time, just to understand where they were going. Then I started over and engaged the material. The 3rd time is to go over areas I am struggling with.

I would also add that my pre-shot routine is getting more and more abbreviated as everything becomes natural. But I definitely advise that you run the process every time for now, and then it will come second nature. Good luck!

Thanks for the info! I'm just finishing up week 3, and have ran the process the entire time. I can see the benefits already in consistency, and building something repeatable. I never thought I'd enjoy all the hard work, but the reward is better shots!
I will check out your recommendations, thanks again!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Anytime Shifty! A good way to look at "the process" is you have to get the fundamentals down. Once you do that you will have a lot less things to focus on, leaving you with the things that aren't right to address. If there are too many variables, and you don't know what is right or wrong, you'll be shooting in the dark. Sounds like you are on the right track.

Stand behind the ball to pick the target.
Hold the club parallel to the ground whilst behind the ball and place my left hand on the grip (I find this way secures a correct grip rather than placing my grip on the club whilst it's grounded.
Right hand onto the grip.
Take my stance whilst waggling the club 3 times
Ground the club behind the ball
Fire!
Done exactly the same thing for as long now as I can remember.

My routine with the putter is cemented and has helped me quite a bit:

1. Pick my line.
2. Sole the putter with my right hand.
3. Step into my stance.
4. Look-Down-Back-Through

I am not sure I want to be that rigid with the other clubs. I feel like I would become to OCD and if I missed something I would need to start over. 12 steps is way too many for me. I actually plan on eliminating as many steps as possible and make it as athletic as possible. Just step up and swing.

This is brilliant, you have to keep it as simple as possible.

I am very dedicated to my pre shot routine and my putting routine. Just something that was engrained and it has become natural...

I wont type it up right now..but I have an idea.. will update in a day or two.

This is sometime I need to work on. I just go by feel too much.

Back