Summer Memberships

Holy cr@p, those prices are super cheap. Jeez...

There are no greens fees. That would be what you pay the dues for. Cart fees are around $20. It would also be impossible to walk that course, so a cart is mandatory.

That's so ridiculous. Once a weekend and you're at $30/round. Up here I'd basically have to play Seminole every Saturday and Sunday to make it worth what I can get on the course with Golfnow.

This is insane to me. Up here, even a lot of the local muni courses are north of $1000 for what amounts to a 6 month membership.

This is insane to me. Up here, even a lot of the local muni courses are north of $1000 for what amounts to a 6 month membership.

Keep in mind that this is our off season. It gets hot. It gets humid. There might even be some maintenance to the greens that kill a couple of weekends.
Waterlefe as an example is $109 to play right now. You can find deals to make it about $79 at certain times. 6 months out of the year some of the membership base travels north and with 39 courses with in about 15 miles, everybody is competing for the rounds.

Waterlefe as the example is one of the finest courses in this entire area. Has held many qualifying tournaments and is always a great place.

Every time there's a thread like this, it just makes me want to move somewhere else. Living in the Boston area, those kind of rates are an absolute pipedream. I pay $240 a month (year round) to be able to play about 8 months of the year. And that doesn't include initiation, food & drink minimum or carts.

Keep in mind that this is our off season. It gets hot. It gets humid. There might even be some maintenance to the greens that kill a couple of weekends.
Waterlefe as an example is $109 to play right now. You can find deals to make it about $79 at certain times. 6 months out of the year some of the membership base travels north and with 39 courses with in about 15 miles, everybody is competing for the rounds.

Waterlefe as the example is one of the finest courses in this entire area. Has held many qualifying tournaments and is always a great place.

I didn't think of the fact that the course might be closed for maintenance now and then - still a great deal though. What are conditions like otherwise during the offseason? I've only played as far south as VA in the summer. I can understand why that's the offseason, though - it was HOT out for those rounds.

Just looked up Waterlefe. Looks like a fantastic course.

Every time there's a thread like this, it just makes me want to move somewhere else. Living in the Boston area, those kind of rates are an absolute pipedream. I pay $240 a month (year round) to be able to play about 8 months of the year. And that doesn't include initiation, food & drink minimum or carts.

THe rates normally at these courses is actually higher than that and many times initiation needs to be paid as well. Look at it like this. Say you are a member and the dues are $385 per month (local course has this). For 6 months you would pay that rate. Then the other 6 months the dues are next to nothing. Cost averaging actually puts the total yearly cost at similar. Similar to you guys having an off season, we do too, its just that we can play golf during it.

What it does do however is open the doors for people joining just for the summer.

I didn't think of the fact that the course might be closed for maintenance now and then - still a great deal though. What are conditions like otherwise during the offseason? I've only played as far south as VA in the summer. I can understand why that's the offseason, though - it was HOT out for those rounds.

Just looked up Waterlefe. Looks like a fantastic course.

Conditions are excellent.

THe rates normally at these courses is actually higher than that and many times initiation needs to be paid as well. Look at it like this. Say you are a member and the dues are $385 per month (local course has this). For 6 months you would pay that rate. Then the other 6 months the dues are next to nothing. Cost averaging actually puts the total yearly cost at similar. Similar to you guys having an off season, we do too, its just that we can play golf during it.

What it does do however is open the doors for people joining just for the summer.

This is a pretty fair point, but my dues are only that low because I'm on the last year of a junior membership. Next year it jumps to your $385 and a couple of years after that to $600. So if you look at the cost average of the full dues (I'm assuming the $385 you mention is full), then it gets all out of whack again.

This is a pretty fair point, but my dues are only that low because I'm on the last year of a junior membership. Next year it jumps to your $385 and a couple of years after that to $600. So if you look at the cost average of the full dues (I'm assuming the $385 you mention is full), then it gets all out of whack again.

Hard to compare without looking at apples and apples. There are plenty of courses around here and throughout the state that are every bit that expensive and then some. My parents course is well over $700 per month along with some ridiculous initiation.

Then add in the competitive value that these courses in this area are fighting against. For instance just 45 minutes north in Tampa, there is no such thing as this. 45 minutes south in Ft Myers, there are very few. Just the nature of the beast in being in an absolute hot bed of golf courses that also cater to a seasonal client.

Its one of the wonderful things we love about it here.

JB that deal is amazing and I'm crazy jealous about the course and price.

I've played in Orlando in June and it was hot and humid then but not unbearable enough for me not to turn 36 that day.

Hard to compare without looking at apples and apples. There are plenty of courses around here and throughout the state that are every bit that expensive and then some. My parents course is well over $700 per month along with some ridiculous initiation.

Then add in the competitive value that these courses in this area are fighting against. For instance just 45 minutes north in Tampa, there is no such thing as this. 45 minutes south in Ft Myers, there are very few. Just the nature of the beast in being in an absolute hot bed of golf courses that also cater to a seasonal client.

Its one of the wonderful things we love about it here.

Those are some pretty excellent conditions to live in as an avid golfer. That makes me think of another benefit of the offseason membership if you live somewhere where that's possible. You can do the membership and play as much as you can during that season, with the rest of the year available to play other courses, so you don't feel "stuck" playing one course - that's one of the things I'm wrangling with in terms of deciding whether to join a course up here. Then again, you guys most definitely don't have that problem :act-up:.

JB that deal is amazing and I'm crazy jealous about the course and price.

I've played in Orlando in June and it was hot and humid then but not unbearable enough for me not to turn 36 that day.

I remember this.

I love Palm Aire and Sara Bay. I have been looking into the summer programs at both courses for 2 years and I am really thinking about pulling the trigger this year. Both allow walking and have great history.

They do have solid history. Im not much into walking during the summer months however.

Be honest, you aren't into walking ever.

Anyone walking in FL in the summer is...

1. Crazy
2. Asking to get caught at the farthest point from the club house in a rain storm
3. Too young to drive a cart

u6y7u3en.jpg
i can't wait for these rates at Waterlefe. This was from last September.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be honest, you aren't into walking ever.

One of the two of us has walked a golf course. Not on purpose mind you, but it has happened. :D

u6y7u3en.jpg
i can't wait for these rates at Waterlefe. This was from last September.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But they do charge you $7 for golf balls at the range.
That is where the membership kicks in...If someone likes to practice.

That's probably the best part of the deal. The only quality range in the area here is $1100 on its own.

That's an insane deal for someone like me, I think the range and short game area at University would get a ton of use from me,. Oh man I need to get back down there to live!

Bought a year round membership this year in Fl. even though I'm here about six to seven months. The membership is five months usually. The difference was only $200 for the rest of the year, seven months. Almost 120 rounds since mid Sept. so I've got my moneys worth. Nice to be retired!

They do have solid history. Im not much into walking during the summer months however.

True I will probably never walk. Somehow I forgot about the heat, thunderstorms, and my bag weighs a ton. Last time I walked I was in my 20's in NJ. Thanks for the reality check. Got lost in the thought of the 2 courses I love to play.

Back