The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it's the green(ish) grass.

Oops.....my bad guys.

#sirifailure

Was supposed to say "one last range sessions before lake Charles".

Anyways...working on 3 key things:

Club at buckle
Head staying on plane (my head)
Tempo

And then one other thing I forgot to mention Tuesday: getting chest at target during follow through.

When I maintained good tempo I was hitting it really well today. Absolutely crushing driver dead straight or with tiny draw after moving from 9.5 to 9.5 DRAW. Really hoping this allows me to eliminate the right side of the golf course.

Biggest miss with hybrids & irons is a thin shot. I think this is because everything is more upright (club and me) so when my head leaves plane I stand up and don't recover on the way back down.

Overall I'm really pleased given the lesson earlier in the week. Real story is how this mindset/changes translates to the course tomorrow.

Only issue is my back. Tightens up pretty damn quick during a range session....especially when trying to bring my posture more upright. I'll be prepared for the weekend though....lots of golf over 3 days.

Got a lesson scheduled for Saturday, but the forecast is not looking good. Need to get in for one since it's been a few months. I can feel some bad habits sneaking back into my swing.

That actually sounds really encouraging to me Cookie. Obviously not the back stuff, but I know that when I first started really working on posture I had some fatigue there too. I'm sure you know what's best for you here, but I've found that improving flexibility in my legs/hips and a lot of core work has really made it 100x better.

The driver thing I'm liking the sounds of very much. Could be a game changer for you dude.

Got my 1st session in for the day at lunch working on things from my second lesson with my new instructor yesterday.

It was a bit of a frustrating day even though the results were pretty good. Right now the move my instructor is trying to get me to make literally feels like I am going to duck hook the crap out of the ball (then I only hit one left out of 80+ swings). I feel like I look like Charles Barkley out on the range with what I am trying to do with the club yet on video it basically looks on plane.

It is fun to see the improvement I have made in 3 short weeks but it feels so different that it is almost scaring me and making me doubt. I self taught myself and whatever swing I was using was apparently way off with decent results. I know I must be patient but does anyone else that have that feeling after a lesson that what you are needing to do just feels completely wrong

That actually sounds really encouraging to me Cookie. Obviously not the back stuff, but I know that when I first started really working on posture I had some fatigue there too. I'm sure you know what's best for you here, but I've found that improving flexibility in my legs/hips and a lot of core work has really made it 100x better.

The driver thing I'm liking the sounds of very much. Could be a game changer for you dude.

Thanks Captain. Yes, the stretching / flexibility is something I do at least twice per day. In all honesty, I think I should start doing a yoga class once a week - i know how much it benefits me.

I've done my share of odd looking exercises and stretches lately lol. Yoga it up dude! I figured you were more than familiar with what helps.

Went out and hit some wedges today during lunch. I have a serious recurring problem with not closing the clubface at impact and it has been plaguing my game for the past few months. It was there again today and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Time to get some professional help.

Last edited:
Got out to hit some balls after work today, ended up being a pretty disappointing session for me. Was making poor contact and just didn't feel comfortable over the ball today; swing just felt out of synch. Distances were hard to judge due to the wind so was trying to focus on making good contact. Frustrating day after some encouraging sessions the past couple weeks. Time to go do living room drills on posture and take away... and try again tomorrow.

The THP Range/Practice Thread

Hit the range tonight just too windy(30mph) to play. Thankfully the range is covered on 3 sides so most of the wind is blocked.

Went with the intention of making sure I stayed short with the backswing and get some reps in with driver and 3wd as I haven't spent a ton of time working on this area of the game. Started with some drills to make sure me takeaway was good, weight was transferring back & staying there during the backswing. Moved on to focusing that my arms stop moving when my shoulders stop turning.

I was hitting the irons really well even though the wind was pushing them up high and short but sound, feel and initial ball flight were good. Hybo has become some what of a hook machine as of late and I'm not quite sure why I have set it to fade as much as possible but the ball is refusing to go right :|

On to driver first couple balls were so so not great contact and low balls that drew hard. I quickly realized I was trying to hit the ball again, a couple practice swings and then just focusing on letting the ball get in the clubs way was sending the ball carrying 240-250 into/across the wind that was howling at me. 3wd off the tee and off the mat was deadly at finding the fairway.

I'm very happy where I left off the day at the range and I'm looking forward to taking it to the course again here soon.

Got my 1st session in for the day at lunch working on things from my second lesson with my new instructor yesterday.

It was a bit of a frustrating day even though the results were pretty good. Right now the move my instructor is trying to get me to make literally feels like I am going to duck hook the crap out of the ball (then I only hit one left out of 80+ swings). I feel like I look like Charles Barkley out on the range with what I am trying to do with the club yet on video it basically looks on plane.

It is fun to see the improvement I have made in 3 short weeks but it feels so different that it is almost scaring me and making me doubt. I self taught myself and whatever swing I was using was apparently way off with decent results. I know I must be patient but does anyone else that have that feeling after a lesson that what you are needing to do just feels completely wrong

Keep up the work and yes I have had that feeling for months with my swing. here's how it goes for me make change:change feels weird/uncomfortable/wrong practice practice, practice, change is new comfortable-- make another change (rinse and repeat above)

If the change feels right out of the get go your doing it wrong.

Last edited:
Time to drill the short game. #TheKingPractice

9e3udyva.jpg

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Oh how nice it would be to have grass like that to practice on right now.

Sorry man! Here's hoping you will soon.

In other news, just rocked half wedges: 90% within 10ft. Yeah boy!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Had my lesson tonight at the golf learning center. Went in asking alot of questions and telling the instructor what my issues were. Started out with the pitching wedge and hit some balls. I was hitting balls pretty well with the pitching wedge then moved onto the 6 iron. Hit some balls and he took some video of me. We talked about what issues I had and why I was topping the ball. One of the first things he noticed was that I wasn't putting my hands forward at setup and I was coming behind the ball. Also I was having some wrist hinge when striking it instead of keeping the wrist flat. Changed that up and saw quick improvements. After that I worked on some chipping and he was also seeing me with to much wrist action and not keeping it straight. Worked on doing 1/4 swings keeping the wrist straight and keep my weight forward. Worked very well and can't wait to try it out on the course. Then finally was the driver that I lost, and I took some swings and he took video. He compared to where I started out last month and where I was. Wow that's awesome to see side by side video and see the improvements. Well what he noticed with my driver tonight was that I was putting my hands to far forward. Also my tempo and grip were out of wack. I was swinging to hard and I was gripping to hard. After I changed that I finally started to see balls marks towards the center of the face. What I seen durring that was that I was was hitting alot of balls on the top of the face. I think the issue there was I was hitting down on the ball and I need to make sure I hit up on it. Something else I need to improve on he said was my weight shift he said I still had to much weight on my front on the backswing so I need to work on that. But overall great lesson and can't wait to see some results on the course.
After the lesson it was Adams Demo day so I got to hit some hybrids, irons and the driver. Loved the Adams Pro, Loved the new iron XTD. One of the guys I didn't quiet love was the driver. Felt like the driver was just huge and didn't like the sound of it. Bhilln was there and I told him I felt like i had a small basketball as my driver head. One of the things like Brian mention was the wind, so it was really hard to see any distances out of all of these. With the wind at us at 25 mph and me hitting a nice shot with the 7 iron I could hit it 110 yards. So overall nice day at the golf learning center.

Hit the range today really focused on hitting down on the ball and getting my hips and wrists turning. Made some headway. Hardest part is trashing my old habits.

Had to throw in one more practice session before Lake Charles. Plus I wanted to swing one of the new clubs Adams golf sent me.
It was not one of the gods session that I have been having. Actually, it was horrendous. I was having trouble with everything. I am not sure if it's the excitement about this weekend, or for the new hybrid, but I had one terrible afternoon or there. The only club that I was doing any good with, was the Adams Pro hybrid. That club, with some work, has been coming around nicely. It's just amazed me how far a 20° hybrid can fly.
I was extremely excited with the results of the Pro, so I jumped right into the XTD. I tried starting out slowly, but I could not make good contact. As a matter of fact, I never made good contact with this club. I ended up putting it back in the bag, where it will stay until I can spend some serous time with it. I'm not sure what the issue d, but I just could not hit it.
I had to break out the wedges and put in about 30 minutes worth of work to get my swing back in order. Everything eventual cane around, and I think I am ready for LC.

ru3erusa.jpg

Just a shot from tonight's practice. Pro was extremely happy with the lower body. I feel like I am really exaggerating the reverse K when I swing, but it's not as much as I think I am feeling when the camera is rolling I guess. Progress is good.

Tomorrow I'm off to the dome to get a look at ball flight. Driving ranges should be opening in a couple of weeks, so that is something to look forward to.

Quick range time today before playing a 5 holes (rain ended my playing early). Felt much better than yesterday which made me happy. The wind blows left to right into your face at my club so it's hard to tell if I'm hitting straight shots.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

That looks pretty good B-rad! I think it's funny that we are essentially working on the same little teeny tiny move. That was my main focus tonight again, along with a couple other of the same things. Felt good tonight and I'm ready to go play. Hopefully on Saturday.

Lesson was postponed tonight, so I hit balls on the range. Not my best day but i know what needs work.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

That looks pretty good B-rad! I think it's funny that we are essentially working on the same little teeny tiny move. That was my main focus tonight again, along with a couple other of the same things. Felt good tonight and I'm ready to go play. Hopefully on Saturday.

It still feels a bit weird, but that is gonna happen when you've been wrong for so long. Also worked on keeping my left wrist from breaking down and that has really made a world of difference as well.

It still feels a bit weird, but that is gonna happen when you've been wrong for so long. Also worked on keeping my left wrist from breaking down and that has really made a world of difference as well.

The biggest key for me is just keeping the knee flex, which it looked like you did well in that photo. If my knee is flexed, I know I'm not taking a big old backswing and can push off from that instep without even thinking about it. Knee goes and it's basically all over.

Put in 45 minutes of putting practice yesterday at the home course. Green still hasn't healed all the way from aeration 3 weeks ago. Had to be a bit firmer with the stroke. Nice thing I'm seeing with the White Hot Rossie is no tendency to pull putts when I have to use a firm stroke. I think the heavier head and the practice I've been getting in are helping.

ru3erusa.jpg

Just a shot from tonight's practice. Pro was extremely happy with the lower body. I feel like I am really exaggerating the reverse K when I swing, but it's not as much as I think I am feeling when the camera is rolling I guess. Progress is good.

Tomorrow I'm off to the dome to get a look at ball flight. Driving ranges should be opening in a couple of weeks, so that is something to look forward to.

I'm obviously not a pro, but that looks really good to me. Well done, B-Rad. I can tell you're working hard.

Hit the range for a short session last night, the weather was pretty horrible and cold but the wind wasn't blowing into the covered bays so I hit a basket of balls and was pretty pleased with how I was working with the wedges

I was at the opposite end to the shortest target, so spent most of the time switching between the 75 / 90 / 125yd greens and put more on the greens than I missed so I feel like I am getting the distances dialed in better now

Hit a few 8i shots at the 150yd green with mixed results due to the wind but I was happy with how things went

Didn't have the driver with me as the rubber tees that they have are not tall enough for what I prefer with my driver so spent some time with the 3W instead and (due to fading light) it looked like I was putting them out to around 220yds which is down on the 'warm' weather distance but they were nice and straight so I am not complaining

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back