The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is awesome! Looking good Brad! Barry will be the boss of the moss at the King. Hawk is tactician

Went to the gym last night with the girly to get some practice in. I have some video and pictures from previous session that I'll be putting up tonight, but need to upload to YouTube and Photobucket first. I've been working on my take away and my plane and things are really starting to come along and get comfortable. I really can't wait to get outside and actually see the ball flight and see the differences from the new swing. I did happen to snap a few shots of the girly while she was taking some swings. Not to most fundamentally sound swing, but she hits ball first just about every time.

uqazahen.jpg

qegynyne.jpg

Played 18 yesterday evening running straight from the car to the 1st tee box. Hadn't played in about 3 weeks so no expectations. Driver was good. Approach shots were rusty. Putting was hit and miss.

Anyways, I had 11 shots were I was between 20-55 yards and only hit the green on 3 of those 11 shots. Embarrassing. Rust or not, I have got to groove this mid shot down. If I'm going to go out there and hit 11 of 14 fairways with my driver then these types of shots have GOT to get better. So I've contacted my pro and going to get him out with me this weekend to figure it out. One of the issues I'm having is I like to get under the ball with my wedges. But with the dormant Bermuda right now, it's like hitting off of dirt and hardpan. If I can get these shots down and start to develop some confidence it will be like night and day.

A few years back, I kicked off the year by devoting practice sessions with nothing but my wedges. It worked so well for me I now start each year the same and make it part of my normal range routine. With each of my wedges (I have 4), I will take the club back to 9:00, 11:00 and full. I need to work a bit more on trajectory as much as distance control, but the confidence I have gained on the course has been great. I have even used the same technique with irons right on down thru my 6 iron.

I had one of the best range sessions today I've ever had...

And by that I mean I wasn't hooking, slicing, pushing or pulling.

I have got my hips figured out and I'm loving this Amp Cell Driver and 3W.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Failure to square the club face at impact is still killing my game. Everything high and right. 4 irons that look like 8 irons again today. I can't even hit a low punch shot, they take off high and right. It's becoming such a game killer, but it is consistent, so it shouldn't be too difficult to fix.

I'm at a loss..... I'm going to really have to work on this hard.

Had a so so range session other than my wedges. I them proceeded to the putting green in hopes of finding a chipping area. No lucky there so I worked on putting for about 30 mins. The green had circles targets which worked awesome for lag putting and a scoring game based on length of putt.

Why was it just so-so?

Why was it just so-so?

Just seem to be pushing my long irons right. I took some video that I will be sending to my instructor to make sure I haven't reverted to my over the top swing. I feel that I am starting my backswing and keeping the club pointed down the target line, which is what I want. However, the hardest part we both agreed on would be the out swing path and square the club face on impact with the leading palm facing up on the follow through. It just seems every time I try to roll my wrists at pact I hit it off the hosel or leave the club face wide open resulting in a wicked slice.

Make sense?

Anyone have any drills with that?

Putting part of range session was great. Speed and distance control were where I wanted them to be. What I did notice was my next few putting session will be focused on line.

Forgot to bring my Triangulator so looking forward to getting home and working with that aid.

Just seem to be pushing my long irons right. I took some video that I will be sending to my instructor to make sure I haven't reverted to my over the top swing. I feel that I am starting my backswing and keeping the club pointed down the target line, which is what I want. However, the hardest part we both agreed on would be the out swing path and square the club face on impact with the leading palm facing up on the follow through. It just seems every time I try to roll my wrists at pact I hit it off the hosel or leave the club face wide open resulting in a wicked slice.

Make sense?

Anyone have any drills with that?

I wish I could help but I suffer from similar issues myself.

Do you have the same issue when you swing 3/4?

The reason I ask is when I have a long iron, I tend to overswing with it. When I overswing I open the clubface and have similar results as you.

That or the weight gets way to far to the outside and my right hip over rotates. When I come back down the line I pointed right and thats where the ball goes..

It just doesn't feel right at the moment. I guess at some point after hours and hours of range work.

I guess the question is when do you know or just work with your current swing. Maybe change instructors? Once this weather breaks and we get outside I'll know if I need to make a switch.

Could be a grip thing too. I'd love to see the swing

It just doesn't feel right at the moment. I guess at some point after hours and hours of range work.

I guess the question is when do you know or just work with your current swing. Maybe change instructors? Once this weather breaks and we get outside I'll know if I need to make a switch.

Guess that depends on your goals. Do you have drills that he's given you to help you learn the new movements? Or is it just sort of a "you need to do this" type of thing? I know that left to my own devices I can do some pretty non-sensical things to achieve what I think I need to if that makes sense. Might be worth asking him if there are specific things you can do to engrain what you're trying to learn.

He gave me a few drills, which I've incorporated into my daily practice. Just to mention a few (baseball swing with a golf club, placing a ball a club face length at a 45 degree angel on each side and swing through).

We have discussed my goals which is why I think he picked this to work on with my swing. I have a lesson on Monday, so we shall see what comes out of it.

He gave me a few drills, which I've incorporated into my daily practice. Just to mention a few (baseball swing with a golf club, placing a ball a club face length at a 45 degree angel on each side and swing through).

We have discussed my goals which is why I think he picked this to work on with my swing. I have a lesson on Monday, so we shall see what comes out of it.

Well good luck either way. I'd lean towards sticking with it and understand there will be some growing pains dude, but that's different for everybody.

Third range session this week on my lunch working on stuff from my lesson last Saturday. Next lesson tomorrow. My mindset is completely different than ever before. I've been to the range 6 times so far I believe. I haven't pulled the driver out of the bag once, not one shot. Just working on mechanics. It used to be that I'd hit probably half of my balls with driver every time.

I didn't have time to get a round in today, but I did make it to the course and spent 90 minutes working on my short game.

I'm thinking I need to get back to the basics. Alignment was off yesterday and I just couldn't hit it where I wanted to. Putting is frustrating as well but that comes with punched greens I suppose. More work to be done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Heading to the dome this morning to get some work in. Another snow storm forecasted for tonight. Pushes courses opening back at least another week. It's been brutal

Heading to the dome this morning to get some work in. Another snow storm forecasted for tonight. Pushes courses opening back at least another week. It's been brutal

Same here buddy. I'll be heading out in a few hours. Hopefully the storm misses.

Welp, time to go and hit some balls to the wall, and a bucket or two of ice balls.

Family trip. No golf this weekend but a mind is a terrible thing to waste.

My lesson got cancelled yesterday because of the rain that never showed up. I did get in some good short game work. I practiced short sided chip shots (hardest shot for me) and chip shots over bunkers. I'm really close to being to the point that I don't really notice a bunker when having to play a shot over one. I had to put a lot of work into that because it seemed like I was always flubbing those shots right into the sand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back