Adams Tight Lies Fairway - THP Preview

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
In for review is the Adams Tight Lies fairway wood (16* S flex here), truly one of the most recognizable club names around and what one might consider a "return to their roots" of sorts as far as fairway woods are concerned.

The Tight Lies was the original "easy" to hit off the deck fairway wood that was legitimately a game changer for many and had a TON of use by both professionals as well as amateurs. Over time though, fairways have essentially turned into mini drivers and lost much of that off-the-deck comfort that the more low profile heads had. Not to mention, the Tight Lies name got thrown on all sorts of gear which essentially diminished and blurred away the original purpose of it. Adams has recognized this and that is why the Tight Lies has been reborn as it should be, a single club line (fairways) with the purpose of bringing comfort and confidence back to the off the deck fairway shot to golfers of all levels.

Adams on the Tight Lies Fairway:

Today's fairway woods have become hard for most people, including many tour players, to hit from anywhere other than off of a tee due to their deep faces and higher CGs. These "mini-drivers" are also extremely hard to hit well out of the rough or sand due to their larger size.

The new Tight Lies will revolutionize the game just as the original did. The playability from every type of lie, and the ease at which golfers can get the ball in the air makes Tight Lies the perfect club to hit those long par-4's and par-5's. For the first time in a long time, golfers will love hitting a fairway wood again.

Screenshot_3-L.jpg

Screenshot_4-L.jpg

Screenshot_5-L.jpg

Specifications:
Screenshot_6-L.jpg

In-Hand Pictures:
DSC_0117-L.jpg

DSC_0118-L.jpg

DSC_0119-L.jpg

DSC_0120-L.jpg

DSC_0121-L.jpg

DSC_0122-L.jpg

DSC_0123-L.jpg

DSC_0127-L.jpg

DSC_0128-L.jpg

DSC_0124-L.jpg

DSC_0130-L.jpg

DSC_0132-L.jpg

DSC_0133-L.jpg

DSC_0134-L.jpg

DSC_0135-L.jpg

I thought this one was stupid easy to hit. Not über long. But über easy.

Can't wait for the review!

• Staff

This has been the consensus I have heard as well, its also what makes me extremely eager to work it out. Its kind of refreshing to see someone step out and worry number one about making the fairway wood easier off of the deck again (the Mashie was probably the last perhaps?) and not just focus on distance.

Can't wait to follow along with this one.
I hope to be able to get mine on the range this weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Completely agree with this blu. I was hitting the 14* at the range at Cowboys, which wasn't in great shape after we warmed up. Out of fresh divots and virtually no grass, it was so easy to get in the air and put a little cut on the ball. Wish I could have spent more time with it.

This has been the consensus I have heard as well, its also what makes me extremely eager to work it out. Its kind of refreshing to see someone step out and worry number one about making the fairway wood easier off of the deck again (the Mashie was probably the last perhaps?) and not just focus on distance.

To be fair to the Tight Lies, the shaft is much lighter than I would normally play in a wood. But it was really easy and consistent contact for me.

Next time the question gets asked, "what's an easy fairway wood to hit?" I need to be more vigilant and recommend this little guy.

• Staff
To be fair to the Tight Lies, the shaft is much lighter than I would normally play in a wood. But it was really easy and consistent contact for me.

Next time the question gets asked, "what's an easy fairway wood to hit?" I need to be more vigilant and recommend this little guy.

Hearing the story of how it came back was pretty cool, there were literally no plans to do it initially.

Stupid easy to hit, heck even I hit it ok & that's saying a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hit this a few weeks ago at a golf expo and was impressed. Very easy to hit; good shaft pairing and a solid club.

Hearing the story of how it came back was pretty cool, there were literally no plans to do it initially.

The original Tight Lies was still pulling a pretty good price a few years ago. I'm happy they're trying to make the game easier

Ive always wanted to like their fairway woods, but unfortunately for me, they just always seem run of the mill and average. Looking forward to heaing how these compare to the rest of the lines out there.

Most definitely a friendly club to hit. It sets up very upright for me but nothing that trimming a bit off the butt couldn't fix

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I love my Adams set, and am a huge fan of the company.

But I am not in love with the looks of this one. It might be an awesome performer, but I do not like the appearance.

Most definitely a friendly club to hit. It sets up very upright for me but nothing that trimming a bit off the butt couldn't fix

Agreed, in Dallas off the deck it just wanted to get the ball up in a hurry for me. Its going to be fun to get more than a few range balls with this one.

looking forward to trying this next week at Demo days at the local course

Can't wait for thoughts. I had my eye on one of these, but backed off it because I couldn't find any feedback on it.
Also wondering about the light shaft in it.

I was able to hit one of these at the Adams event, the first swing was straight, but not very long, and I think I started trying to kill it and saw a wicked slice; obviously the indian and not the arrow on those ones. I loved the original tight lies, and look forward to hearing some more thoughts on this one.

Look forward to your thoughts on this. Very neat that the consensus seems to be these are pretty darn easy to hit. I'm not sold on the looks, I think the slot just seems odd to me. I'm not totally sure, but I'd have to see it in person. Though, if they get the ball up like it sounds like they do, that would be darn sweet.

Ive never tried one so will wait and read your review. Im not a huge fan of the slot on the top, is it a bit distracting when looking down at the ball?

I love the approach of the Tight Lies heritage with newer technology. I've always been a big fan of the profile of their fairway woods and hybrids, as they are just so easy to hit. Certainly no the longest club manufacturer out there, though. That said, if you want a club that is easy to hit off any lie and very forgiving then this is one you should have in the bag. Adams makes the game easier.

I don't know dude, year in and year out their hybrids and fairways have been some of the longest around. They do slot technology better than anyone IMO, including their "big brother". This one though isn't designed for length IMO like the XTD fairway (and LS/S last year, and XTD gen before that, etc) but instead for off the deck success first and foremost.

Adams knows length well, they really do.

Ive never tried one so will wait and read your review. Im not a huge fan of the slot on the top, is it a bit distracting when looking down at the ball?

With the matt finish it's hardly noticeable IMO

Interested to check this bad boy out, if it's easier to hit off the deck than my X2 Hots then that is basically miraculous!

I really like the shape of the sole, and the head cover is fantastic! It reminds me of the old Ginty club, and of course the original tight lies.

had the chance to get some swings with one of these the other day at a local demo day event; hit the 5 wood off the turf... and can attest that it's stupid easy to hit. I like the profile of the face a lot and seems made to hit off fairways and get through the rough. If you have trouble hitting FW off the turf, this is a must try.

Back