TaylorMade Tour Preferred & Tour Preferred X Golf Ball Preview

TaylorMade Tour Preferred & Tour Preferred X Golf Ball Preview

First impression: I LOVE THE NAMES! :)

Second impression: I think the Tour Preferred would be better for me since it might give me a higher flight and more spin with the irons.

Just purchased a dozen of Tour Preferred balls. Due to recent additions to the family, no golf this week, but next week I will be putting these to the test

9a8emequ.jpg

I kind of like how they made the TaylorMade logo slightly smaller. It's cool.

Had some fun.

Which one do you guys reckon is the closest to the TP5/Lethal? Caster do they have a HEX pattern on the dimples or is it just the picture that's makes them look like that?

How is the durability?

Most high end TM balls I've tried tend to scar when I hit them with my wedges.

How is the durability?

Pretty good actually. Not Bridgestone level of durability. But not bad. That scarring is hard to swallowing, it's something to deal with Urethane balls

Which one do you guys reckon is the closest to the TP5/Lethal? Caster do they have a HEX pattern on the dimples or is it just the picture that's makes them look like that?

Not hexed but not perfectly round either. Hard to explain. The Tour Preferred X performed better for me and close to the Lethal. But that is just how I perceived it.

Definitely going to give them a rip this year. Never tried the Lethal, but out of the rest I gravitated towards the TP-3 for the durability fact.

Not hexed but not perfectly round either. Hard to explain. The Tour Preferred X performed better for me and close to the Lethal. But that is just how I perceived it.

Thanks Blu. Does one feel softer than the other or they about the same?

Picked up a dozen of these at rebel today for $40! That is a bargain over here!

How is the durability?

They have come a long way in durability i played one ball 18 holes and by the end it had some green stains and a couple of scrapes but no big gashes

For me they are softer around the greens i prefer the feel to the lethal but the performance is almost the same

I bought 5 dozen for the season (#28 for Buster Poesy)

Played the X version today for the first time. Ball feels pretty solid ( not soft) but behaves very similar to Z Star XV. I will say, and it is a small sample size (18 holes) but this ball was VERY durable for me. I am anxious to play it side by side with a Pro V1x and or Z Star XV. First impression is very very good.

Did a lot of short game work today and tried to narrow down the differences more with both the Tour Preferred and Tour Preferred X balls. For me, the Tour Preferred would check and release more on chip shots than the Tour Preferred X the more aggressive the shot was. If I came in with something lobbed, the Tour Preferred did better with a high, soft trajectory that would land within 2-3ft of its landing spot. The X was landing what I thought was soft, and then releasing almost double what the regular Tour Preferred was doing. That being said, the X had the best results when driven in low and with some speed, as it would land, take one hop, and check hard and usually within tap in distance or a foot or two by.

This carried over as I went into longer pitch shots and even half swings. The more speed I put into the shot, the better the X performed. The more delicate the shot, the better the regular Tour Preferred performed.

Bought a dozen of these to play with. While I like the feel of them. The durability of the ball though is really disappointing. I went through quite a few balls because the scuffed way to easy in my opinion.

Bought a dozen of these to play with. While I like the feel of them. The durability of the ball though is really disappointing. I went through quite a few balls because the scuffed way to easy in my opinion.

I've yet to have any shearing of any kind with these?

Me neither. I have been quite impressed with these the more I play with then

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

I kept a few of them. I'll post some pics up tomorrow. It was noticeable enough I kept them.

Me neither. I have been quite impressed with these the more I play with then

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

This is definitely the wrong ball for you. I see you more in the Project(a).

This is definitely not me trying to influence your Morgan Cup prep.

So I got a free sleeve of the Tour Preferred and Tour Preferred X when I registered my CB's with TaylorMade's website. I figured I'd give the Tour Preferred a go today. Going in, I didn't think I'd like this ball. Heck, I knew there was going to be 20 mph winds all round so I figured I'd struggle and maybe lose a couple so I played a ball I thought I wouldn't like. Well, I was wrong. The Tour Preferred was solid off the tee and irons but where it really shined was on the green. I was hitting flop shots all round and the ball was stopping as quick as any ball I've played. It also felt so soft off the putter. Overall, I was extremely impressed with this ball. On a day with 20 mph winds I made it through all 18 without losing a ball. The durability was also very good. It has one pretty bad mark from when I caught a tree solid then it bounced off the tree and slammed into a barn (I'm pretty sure any ball would of gotten a little beat up after that hit). I'll be putting the Tour Preferred X in play tomorrow to see how it compares but it has a very tough act to follow.

So I got a free sleeve of the Tour Preferred and Tour Preferred X when I registered my CB's with TaylorMade's website. I figured I'd give the Tour Preferred a go today. Going in, I didn't think I'd like this ball. Heck, I knew there was going to be 20 mph winds all round so I figured I'd struggle and maybe lose a couple so I played a ball I thought I wouldn't like. Well, I was wrong. The Tour Preferred was solid off the tee and irons but where it really shined was on the green. I was hitting flop shots all round and the ball was stopping as quick as any ball I've played. It also felt so soft off the putter. Overall, I was extremely impressed with this ball. On a day with 20 mph winds I made it through all 18 without losing a ball. The durability was also very good. It has one pretty bad mark from when I caught a tree solid then it bounced off the tree and slammed into a barn (I'm pretty sure any ball would of gotten a little beat up after that hit). I'll be putting the Tour Preferred X in play tomorrow to see how it compares but it has a very tough act to follow.

For me they are very similar balls the X just spins a little less

Played the Tour Preferred X today in very similar conditions to yesterday when I played the Tour Preferred. I thought the TPX had less side spin off the driver and was maybe a touch longer than the TP. I thought the TPX stopped quickly and held the greens well but a little less bite than the TP. The TPX also didn't feel quite as soft as the TP. Overall, 2 very solid golf balls and I'm looking forward to getting in some more rounds with both. Not sure yet which one I prefer.

I LOVED the Penta TP3 - I am just about out of them...so if anyone has a comparison on either of these that would be great. I hope they stick with these names for a while - personally you don't know what ball is replacing what. This is the main reason I moved on from their ball to Bridgestone.

I LOVED the Penta TP3 - I am just about out of them...so if anyone has a comparison on either of these that would be great. I hope they stick with these names for a while - personally you don't know what ball is replacing what. This is the main reason I moved on from their ball to Bridgestone.

When we spoke with TaylorMade staff in January about these balls they admitted the names and changes were affecting sales, thus the shift to a traditional box and the name. I would imagine this naming structure for their premium ball will hold for some time.

When we spoke with TaylorMade staff in January about these balls they admitted the names and changes were affecting sales, thus the shift to a traditional box and the name. I would imagine this naming structure for their premium ball will hold for some time.

Hopefully it was getting confusing

Back