Trying To Break 90 Club

Good luck Fizzle! Short game is def the way to go!

Howdy breaking 90'ers.

A little introduction from me, as i've been in the breaking 100 for a good 6 months!

Basically I picked up a golf club May last year and decided I loved it from that first round of 138! Hahaha.

Anyway 8 months on after a couple lessons I am consistently breaking 100 and as such am honoured to join you fine gentlemen here!

My last few rounds have been a 99,95,98,95 so i'm getting there.

Working on short game mostly and getting some consistent yardages with my irons.

Best of luck!

good luck Fizzle! from 138 to 95 is a big leap!

keep it going, the short game will get you there

I'm getting there with the short game. Absolutely love a good full SW shot but obviously not the best shot if there is no danger!

It's the bump and runs and the pitch shots. Extremely difficult for my to gauge distance but I am starting to play for bounces, using the green etc!

Love stepping up to a small chip shot now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm getting there with the short game. Absolutely love a good full SW shot but obviously not the best shot if there is no danger!

It's the bump and runs and the pitch shots. Extremely difficult for my to gauge distance but I am starting to play for bounces, using the green etc!

Love stepping up to a small chip shot now!

Good luck with the progress Fizzle

Seeing as you are UK based, have you considered one of the events over here? Here is the link to the UK Summer Cup thread

Shot 44/44 for an 88 today. I was happy with the majority of my shots just had 4 penalties. Lessons have been helping.

Shot 44/44 for an 88 today. I was happy with the majority of my shots just had 4 penalties. Lessons have been helping.

Great work man! 88 is also a cool number!

My lessons have helped immensely too, and that score with those penalties is great.

Congrats! 88 with 4 penalties is awesome!

Thanks. I didn't hit great off the tee, hence the penalties, but if anything there is a lot of positives I can take from being able to recover and not letting those become big numbers. Very encouraging.

Big congratulations!

I tend to sit around the 90 mark and I feel that breaking it really comes from being consistent off the Tee and Making par on every par3. Hitting the fairway consistently on par4 (not throwing half the world at the ball) and allowing a sensible short iron approach. And spend at least one evening a week on the putting green.

great work mate!

I was able to shoot 88 yesterday. It's not the first time I've broken 90, but the first time in about 12 months. My previous round at an easier course was 101, so my 88 felt great.

The personality of each round is different, and what I'm proud of the most is that when I hit a poor shot, it didn't spread into two or three poor shots. I was able to recover fairly well after a shot that didn't go as planned.
I hit 6 fairways in regulation and just 4 greens in regulation, and had 35 putts. Those stats aren't all that special, but some good chipping and keeping the ball in front of me and in play helped me break 90.

I'm meeting some THP'ers in two weeks so I've got motivation to keep it in the 80s.

My final round of last season looked very promising for me to finally break 90. I had the best front 9 I have ever had since I took up golfing 4 years ago. I shot a 41 on the front 9 par 35 mostly due to my putting using only 12 strokes on the greens. Then on the back 9 everything fell apart. A couple doubles and a triple and I finished the back 9 with a 53. It seems most of my rounds go this way where i usually shoot a lower score on the front 9 than I do on the back. Not sure what goes wrong other than maybe if Im striking the ball well maybe I become a little to confident and start going after shots I shouldn't be which often result in a greater penalty than if I had just played it safe and taken higher percentage shot.

The past two days/rounds have been a breakthrough for me. Two weeks ago I started gaming my new Callaway X2Hot irons and they seem to be working out nicely, Yesterday a shot 45/43 - 88 and today shot 43/46 - 89. I've broken 90 twice previously but there were months in between those rounds.

Now I just have to repeat... :)

The past two days/rounds have been a breakthrough for me. Two weeks ago I started gaming my new Callaway X2Hot irons and they seem to be working out nicely, Yesterday a shot 45/43 - 88 and today shot 43/46 - 89. I've broken 90 twice previously but there were months in between those rounds.

Now I just have to repeat... :)

well done there! progress is fun

I feel like every outing will be the one. I've come a long way since starting last fall. The last few round have been 90-92. I had a 51 on the front 9 followed by a 39 on the back nine. Putting had been killing me, just could not get comfortable. What I found that seemed to work for me, putting wise, was being more "gentle" and bend over at the waist a lot more. Tomorrow will be the day.....

I feel like every outing will be the one. I've come a long way since starting last fall. The last few round have been 90-92. I had a 51 on the front 9 followed by a 39 on the back nine. Putting had been killing me, just could not get comfortable. What I found that seemed to work for me, putting wise, was being more "gentle" and bend over at the waist a lot more. Tomorrow will be the day.....

Was not the day! 94 with a plaguing dead pull to the left. good short game and putting though. lol

Shot 82 for my first sub 90 of 2014 in my fourth round of the year. Last year I had 6 rounds in the 90's before finally getting in the 80's.

Darnit! Was so close today, shot a 92. Just a couple of putts, or a couple of chips away! Getting the ball off the tee better, and hitting my irons pretty well. Very close now.

Played with my brother yesterday and shot a 46/43 for an 89, was very pleased. Tried to blow it in the end when I realized I was close, went bogey, double, double, then added my score to see if I could just forget about 18 as figured was in the 90's and saw I could par for an 88. Hit a nice drive, beautiful 5 wood to 30 yards off green. sitting with an easy wedge, hit it fat and take my next shot to just on the green. Have a 60-70 foot breaking putt over a ridge for par, figured I just blew it. it snaked and stopped 2 feet from the hole, nice tap in bogey.

I really tried to screw that round up in the end, thank goodness for a lucky putt.

Oh our handicap scoring just opened in March and my cap went up, if this had happed a day earlier it would have held the same. The guys in the tourney this weekend aren't going to be happy as my last 4 rounds have gone 95,92,91,89 with a cap rising due to the winter shut down.

Played with my brother yesterday and shot a 46/43 for an 89, was very pleased. Tried to blow it in the end when I realized I was close, went bogey, double, double, then added my score to see if I could just forget about 18 as figured was in the 90's and saw I could par for an 88. Hit a nice drive, beautiful 5 wood to 30 yards off green. sitting with an easy wedge, hit it fat and take my next shot to just on the green. Have a 60-70 foot breaking putt over a ridge for par, figured I just blew it. it snaked and stopped 2 feet from the hole, nice tap in bogey.

I really tried to screw that round up in the end, thank goodness for a lucky putt.

Oh our handicap scoring just opened in March and my cap went up, if this had happed a day earlier it would have held the same. The guys in the tourney this weekend aren't going to be happy as my last 4 rounds have gone 95,92,91,89 with a cap rising due to the winter shut down.

well done there!

looking at the score right before the last few holes is the worse thing I can do, it adds so much pressure when you know what you need to score to reach a goal. glad you made it!

Thank You, it's tough when you know your close, I can't wait until it's a consistent thing to shoot 80's

I keep getting so stinkin close but there's always one or two holes that keep me over 90. So frustrating! I *will* break 90 before summer starts though. I'm determined :)

in that vein, when trying to break 90, are you guys playing high or low rated courses? For instance, my last two scores were 90 on a 69.2/124 course and 93 on a 71.4/129 course. The 90 was a 19.0 diff according to GHIN and the 93 was an 18.9. So basically the same... maybe I should start playing easier courses to finally get that sub 90 score so I feel better about myself :bananadance:

Yep, I like this thread. This year my scores have all been 90's which I was real happy with because a year ago 100 - 110 was fine with me (been playing the 1.5 years).
This years scores have gone 91,92,97,98,98,93,93 (a few different courses).

Hopefully this weekend.

Yep, I like this thread. This year my scores have all been 90's which I was real happy with because a year ago 100 - 110 was fine with me (been playing the 1.5 years).
This years scores have gone 91,92,97,98,98,93,93 (a few different courses).

Hopefully this weekend.

you'll get it!

Back