Toughest course you've played

One of my best friends played Dubsdread and had a similar result. Was only a few over thru 8 and then all of a sudden had the rug snapped from under him. Finished the last 10 holes in 19 over.

He said he had a ball though until bunkers started coming into play. Guess they're not that much fun?

Dye Course at The Hideaway was tough.
Back nine of Champion at PGA National.
Local Nicklaus course fyre Lake is hard.

Poipu Bay in Hawaii with 30-50MPH winds the entire time. I remember hitting driver, 5 wood, 5 wood all flush and still being short of the 15th (I think) green. My dad and I switched from stroke play to match play after 3 holes of pure torment.

The Judge in Pratville AL. It's crazy long and has water everywhere. It's an awesome test.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Toughest for me due to the conditions were Bethpage Black in 2009. I played a mere 5 days after the open and the conditions were left exactly the same as from the open. The rough was a beast as were the final day pin placements. Outside of the the Hills was a rough course, not many places to miss.

Locally, Burden Lake Country Club has a lot of elevation change, and doglegs in both directions and it eats me up

The original 9 wasn't bad. The newer 9 is just crazy sometimes. The doglegs are in bad spots like a mid iron to the corner then you have to shoot up the side of a hill.

The toughest course for me was The Links At Spanish Bay.
When I played it 6 years ago, the greens were so gimmicky it drove me nuts.
They must have gone to Africa and brought back all the dead elephants and buried them in and around the greens.
It's a beautiful course, but I hated the greens.

Crandon Park just outside Miami in Key Biscayne. The slope / rating from the tips is a ridiculous 75.2 / 145 and 7,300 yds. Plenty of water and mangrove forests which make it difficult to judge the wind direction. I have yet to break 90 from the white tees lol. That's my mission this summer.

My vote also. If I can break a 100 it would be a good day.

I haven't played too many ranked difficult courses but my worst would probably be Sentry World (length) or Northern Bay Castle Rock Course (difficult replica holes).

Toughest course I even played was Pebble Beach, right before the 2010 US Open. I played in late April, and it was already setup for the Open. The rough was THICK, the greens were freaking FAST and tiny too. Smallest greens I've seen in a while. Small greens running at 12 meant a long day for me. LOVED every minute of it though.

Cogg Hill Dubs Dredd, I played it for the first time last September and knew going in that I was going to get my arsh handed to me, but I did better than I expected shooting 91 after 17....finished with a even 100 after going "John Daley" on 18.

The toughest course for me was The Links At Spanish Bay.
When I played it 6 years ago, the greens were so gimmicky it drove me nuts.
They must have gone to Africa and brought back all the dead elephants and buried them in and around the greens.
It's a beautiful course, but I hated the greens.

I found that course to be very over-rated. Just didn't care for it much at all... although I think it's because out of the rotation, I played Spyglass Hill first, then Pebble Beach, then the Links at Spanish Bay. I probably should have played SB first... because after SH and PB, I thought it sucked.

Pinehurst #2

Waterlefe in Bradenton, water everywhere as the name of the course implies. I was off with my driver that day and the course just punished me. I would love to go back and play a round again

I'd have to say Dubs as well. Too many unplayable holes and bunkers for the average joe. From memory I was averaging 2 bunkers every hole on the back 9.

#1 The European Club, Brittas Bay, Ireland. Mean, mean, mean. Then the wind starts blowing...
#2 Carnoustie. Greens have so much slope and it's cold and windy always.

For some reason this thread brought all the Utah THP'ers out of the woodwork and most thought Thanksgiving Point was the beast. I'll grant you that it's tough from the back, but from the human tees I've always found it remarkably tame. Lots of holes are tricked up though, and they can fool you the first time around. Mountain Dell, Sand Hollow, Soldier Hollow Gold, and the defunct Kokopelli are (were) all tougher and more natural tests.

Same goes for Wolf Creek in Mesquite that got a few mentions. Tricked up holes that can be sucker punches the first time you see them. Mega forced carries from the back that are impossible if you're not scratch and a slope of 154. But it's decidedly tame from 1 or 2 tee boxes forward.

Spyglass was the toughest for me of the 19 mile Drive courses, but if the ocean wind kicks up at Pebble, 6 - 10 are simply unfair. There is nothing you can do on them in the breeze.

I just don't get why Torrey Pines South got so many mentions though. From the Open tees, yes it's very long, but it's largely wide open. And again, from the human tees, it's a muni.

I'm going to go with Bethpage Black on this one.

@mark: Thanksgiving Point is no problem in normal conditions. But in 25 or 30mph wind? Forget about it. Just gnarly.

Never found Mountain Dell that tough, except a few holes.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Whistling Straits. Wind was howling. Beautiful and brutal.

I played Tobacco Road with my brothers back in October. It was a tough round but I still managed to score really well and shot 67 and 34. My brothers on the other hand had a tough time breaking 90. It was a fun day but mentally it was exhausting. That course can really mess with your head!!!!

Whistling Straits. Wind was howling. Beautiful and brutal.

I thought for sure El Campeon would be near the top for you. Especially considering you have played it a couple of times from different tee boxes.

I want to add Tobiano to this thread. It's one of those courses that isn't intrinsically super tough but you can't even be a little bit off with your game there. The combination of rock hard fairways, no rough, and 'waste area' with grass 3 feet high is just a brutal test.

I thought for sure El Campeon would be near the top for you. Especially considering you have played it a couple of times from different tee boxes.

El Campeon is up there. I think with the way I was struggling getting off the tee during that time, I would have had trouble from the ladies tees. You have to be able to find the fairway there and even when you do, you have to deal with those greens.

Ballyowen at Crystal Springs. It is a links course on a mountain. There is a lot of undulation and uphill holes then factor in the wind which depending on the direction can add a lot of length.

Back