Input on Wedge Lofts?

stewarthans45

Reaction score
Handicap
Im trying to make sure I have any gaps between club lofts covered and am not sure if I should change my current setup. My lofts are as follows: Driver: 10.5*, 3 Wood: 15*, 5 Wood: 18*, 3 Hybrid: 20*, 4: 22*, 5: 25*, 6: 28*, 7:32*, 8: 36*, 9: 40*, PW: 44*, AW: 49*, 56* wedge 14* bounce, 60* wedge 10* bounce. I'm considering removing the 5 wood from my bag to keep my bag at 14 clubs and feel my distance is fine between the 3 hybrid and 3 wood. However I am starting to think I made a mistake when choosing my wedge setup once i realized my approach wedge was only 49* and then I jump to a 56* wedge. I like having a higher lofted wedge such as a 58 or 60 with less bounce for tight lies or from firm green side bunkers and prefer more bounce in a 54 or 56 for out of the rough or in soft sand. I'm thinking I maybe should have went with a 54* with 14* bounce and a 58* with 10* or 8* bounce and that would cover my wedge gap better. I'm just having trouble deciding since I got a deal on pair of cleveland 588 forged wedges I almost hate to trade them off on something different. Just curious on everyone's opinion and if you would make a change.

With that set up I'm more likely to go 54/58 than 56/60. That's just me though.

I just went from 56/60 to 54/58 and hated it. Now I'm back to 56/60 and selling the 54/58. We just didn't get along. That said 54/58 is probably better gap wise but I would rather be confident with a gap then close the gap but be uncomfortable over the wedge.

I have a big gap around 100 yards now but a combo of avoiding that yardage and extensive AW practice should keep that from being a huge deal.

I would put in a 52* to fill the void of the 49* to 56*. You can do that taking the 5 wood out, or taking the 3 and 5 wood out and putting in a 4 wood. That would possibly space the long end of the bag a little better, and allow a tighter gap in the scoring clubs.

I'm in the camp that there is such a thing as too many wedges. I am also in the camp that believes that lofts do not create gaps. Yardage creates gaps. I go PW (47) - 54 - 60 but work somewhat diligently on 3/4 swings and touch shots rather than worry about fulls swings with wedges.

Last edited:
I am with blu on this one there are many way you can accomplish your goal I go 47 52 58
If I had your use the 5w or 3h depending on the course and use a 54 & 58 wedges

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer more wedges for full shots to cover my yardage gaps. My personal feeling of course but I like knowing that I have 120, 110, 100, and 90 covered on full swings. To the OP, maybe get on a monitor or simulator and check your distances with your wedges. From there determine if your game needs another wedge set up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I'd probably go 54-58 as well with your setup. I suck with 60* wedges and they serve basically no purpose for me, so I stop at 58* of loft. If you wanted to add another wedge into your current setup I'd stick a 52* wedge in there and take out the 3 hybrid.

With that set up I'm more likely to go 54/58 than 56/60. That's just me though.

I agree with Hawk so I guess it would be me too

Input on Wedge Lofts?

I've found that by choking down on my wedges, I can shave 10 yards off them, and still be able to take a full swing. This has allowed me to cover my 80-135 yardages nicely, without taking anything off of my swing. My average yardages on full swings, without choking down on the clubs are:
46* PW 137
50* 122
55* 108
60* 93

My wedges are Nike SV Tours, that have been bent to evenly distribute my distances. They have stock lofts of 52, 56, & 60. I'd look into having the lofts adjusted if they aren't working out for you currently.

The top end of my bag is driver, 3w, 5w, 4-9i. I like having my gaps covered more thoroughly on the low end of yardages, than the high end. Because, after all, how often do you score with the big sticks?

54/59 would be a nice even 5 degree gaping. If you bend your 60* to 59* you'll take a little more bounce off the club as well.

To each their own but my wedge set up is 50* 54* 60*, with 10, 14 and 10 degrees of bounces in them respectively. I prefer to have a stronger sand wedge, and I really only use my LW for shots around the green which is why I went with the 60 instead of the 58. But for what it's worth having a low bounce wedge is overrated, unless you are a sweeper with your pitch shots there is no reason to have low bounce imo. I say this from experience because I used to have a 60* with 4* of bounce and I hardly used it because it only came in handy in the tightest of lies(which I rarely ever got). I learned that higher bounces was more beneficial to me.

Each player has to outfit their bag in their own way. I personally carry two wedges (50&54). I will say that too much attention is paid to bounce. Most players have no clue how to use it. It affects very few shots and isn't used on most shots.

I agree totally with Freddie. It's all a matter of what works for you. Freddie carries 2 wedges past his pw, I carry 3. 52-56-58. I tried a 60 and hated it, so I carry that 58. I prefer very little bounce on my wedges. If I feel I need more bounce for a shot, I open the blade a little.

I'm in the camp that there is such a thing as too many wedges. I am also in the camp that believes that lofts do not create gaps. Yardage creates gaps. I go PW (47) - 54 - 60 but work somewhat diligently on 3/4 swings and touch shots rather than worry about fulls swings with wedges.

This is the same setup that i use and it works great. I used 4 wedges for a long time but that left me with a 40 yard gap between my 3i and 3w. I added a Callaway 18* Prototype Utility iron to the bag and went with a 47, 54 and 60 setup. That gives me a 15yd gap in my wedges.

Back before I found THP and didn't pay attention to loft and gaps and that sort of thing, I went from a 44* PW to a 52/56/60 wedge setup. I opted to get a 49* AW, drop the 52*, and bend the 56* to 54* so I go 44/49/54/60 and I've been pretty happy with my gaps. Honestly, I don't use my 60* all that much and I'm considering going to a setup like Freddie's for the MC, but that's where my bag is at right now.

Back