Cleveland 588 Altitude Hybrid Irons Preview

You couldn't pay me to play a different set now that I am used to them.
The looks don't bother me, as a matter of fact they instill confidence over the ball. I switched from Burner 2.0's and these play so much better for me.
Since I started playing in a league on Wednesdays 3 others have ordered Altitudes and they have all said the same thing..."where have these been all my life!"

I bought the 3 iron and ditched my 5 wood. I debated getting graphite shafts, but stuck with steel. Now, if the weather would just cooperate. :angry:

I bought the 3 iron and ditched my 5 wood. I debated getting graphite shafts, but stuck with steel. Now, if the weather would just cooperate. :angry:

I have the 3 in steel as well. You will love it. Just point and shoot.

182 pages. That is what I have read through over the past couple of evenings. Soaking in everyone's thoughts on the Altitudes.

I still want some. I have a 4 - PW set in the stock Stiff Steel in my cart online. I just can't pull the trigger though.

Having not had an opportunity to swing these at all yet, I question the shaft options for me. 6iron swing speed was 84mph with the Burner 2.0's the last time I was on a monitor. Knowing I benefited going stiff in my current irons (improved dispersion, and an increase in distance as well), I can't help but think stiff is the way to go again. At the same time though, I think I definitely want to try the graphite.

Knowing the golf season should be upon us here within the next 2 months (yes I know that is sad), I keep holding out until I have either demo'd them to decide which is better, or until I find a set in graphite for a ridiculous deal.

I really just don't want to make the wrong choice here. I need to find these so I can get fitted proper for them.

182 pages. That is what I have read through over the past couple of evenings. Soaking in everyone's thoughts on the Altitudes.

I still want some. I have a 4 - PW set in the stock Stiff Steel in my cart online. I just can't pull the trigger though.

Having not had an opportunity to swing these at all yet, I question the shaft options for me. 6iron swing speed was 84mph with the Burner 2.0's the last time I was on a monitor. Knowing I benefited going stiff in my current irons (improved dispersion, and an increase in distance as well), I can't help but think stiff is the way to go again. At the same time though, I think I definitely want to try the graphite.

Knowing the golf season should be upon us here within the next 2 months (yes I know that is sad), I keep holding out until I have either demo'd them to decide which is better, or until I find a set in graphite for a ridiculous deal.

I really just don't want to make the wrong choice here. I need to find these so I can get fitted proper for them.

Hopefully you can find some to hit. Lots of single clubs on ebay that can be had without spending a fortune to get a proof of concept, if you will.

fwiw, I can push my 6i SS into the low 90's (until my back says no at least) with a pretty aggressive transiiton, I'll post my experiences here on the stock graphite stiff shafts whether good or bad.

Probably a huge skim, but does anyone have the altitude SW? I've been wondering what that is like.

I have the SW for the MT and ALT. The MT better fits my eye. The ALT SW (at least visually to me) has a weird feel to it. It appears offset to me from the hosel. I actually ended up ditching both clubs right now and am playing my CG 16 SW which is a much better feeling/looking club at address IMO. Its hard to explain, but being offset is the best way I can explain it. I hope that is clear as mud.

A bit of a silly question. When comparing the stock steel to graphite shafts in these, are the ball flights similar?

Just trying to figure out the main differences between the two. Obviously the weight, as well as the stock length, but are they comparable between the two shafts otherwise?

A bit of a silly question. When comparing the stock steel to graphite shafts in these, are the ball flights similar?

Just trying to figure out the main differences between the two. Obviously the weight, as well as the stock length, but are they comparable between the two shafts otherwise?

Graphites are longer and ball flight should be a bit higher

I am 54 years old. 6 iron SS is 83 and my carry distance is 180 or more. I hit these irons extremely high, much higher than any club I tested or played. I don't think I would want to hit the ball any higher. I wouldn't mind have graphite shafts to make it easier on my old joints.

Probably a huge skim, but does anyone have the altitude SW? I've been wondering what that is like.

I have one, although prefer the Smart Sole SW if I am going into a larger soled club.

The ball flight is similar, but that is where the similarities end. The feel is so much different.

I have one, although prefer the Smart Sole SW if I am going into a larger soled club.

The ball flight is similar, but that is where the similarities end. The feel is so much different.

Thanks, I can hardly wait to get these out and see what the gapping is going to be like so I can round out the rest of the bag.

Finally got to hit an altitude 6i, but only on the lm at GG. I hit both the steel and graphite in stiff. I have to say I was less than overwhelmed with the results. I am notorious for not getting good results hitting irons off a matt, however, so I need to hit some on the range to really see what they are like. If I go just by the lm numbers, I hit my DI-11's better. I need to find some that I can try head to head with my current clubs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

My first experience with these seemed a little ho hum, now I have purchased a set and can hardly wait to hit them. Funny how things change sometimes.

I'm excited I have these back in the bag, saw some pretty good things the last few days. And I think vegan702 will have a set purchased soon. :)

I'm excited I have these back in the bag, saw some pretty good things the last few days. And I think vegan702 will have a set purchased soon. :)
I want a set with CTLs and I-Lines.

Happy for you Cookie! What made you leave them in the first place?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I want a set with CTLs and I-Lines.

Haha, I know you do. You were hitting them so damn well.

Happy for you Cookie! What made you leave them in the first place?

I get bored with things but that's a piss poor reason. Truth: I'm an idiot sometimes.

Haha, I know you do. You were hitting them so damn well.

I get bored with things but that's a piss poor reason. Truth: I'm an idiot sometimes.

I totally understand man. I can be my own worst enemy at times.

I'd agree with that. I am best with the clubs I have had in the bag the longest. I often wonder if I just picked something and played it for two solid years, how good I would actually be.

If they fit, then yes.
It's been that way for me with the putter. I'm always on the lookout for better though. I had more than enough years playing the same clubs.

easy8 did some work with his Altitudes today.

Anyone who says they aren't for low handicappers hasn't seen Chris hit his.

easy8 did some work with his Altitudes today.

Anyone who says they aren't for low handicappers hasn't seen Chris hit his.

I don't think anyone here thinks that anymore

You know it buddy! Ordering the 5 and 6 tomorrow, still deciding on the 4. I have a Rescue 11 4 hybrid in the bag that I hook constantly, so it may get replaced also. Only took me 2 swings with that 7 and 6 to hook me this morning on getting them. Have to be the easiest club to hit I've ever swung.

Package arrived :-D

You know it buddy! Ordering the 5 and 6 tomorrow, still deciding on the 4. I have a Rescue 11 4 hybrid in the bag that I hook constantly, so it may get replaced also. Only took me 2 swings with that 7 and 6 to hook me this morning on getting them. Have to be the easiest club to hit I've ever swung.

That is what I play now. I keep the 5 and 6 in my bag and have played the full set. Those 2 are not going anywhere.

Back