Adams XTD Driver - THP Preview

Boy you guys have me wanting to hit this thing!

Don't do it unless you want to be dreaming about it constantly hahaha. Seriously, great driver though, at least from the little time I've spent with it so far.

Don't do it unless you want to be dreaming about it constantly hahaha. Seriously, great driver though, at least from the little time I've spent with it so far.

Haha might be a bad idea, because any more equipment purchases are definitely a no go. But if you're going to demo anything just for fun, it's a blast to boom drivers :D

Will be out with this one today, looking forward to seeing several things.

Update tonight.

Looking forward to the report!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Will be out with this one today, looking forward to seeing several things.

Update tonight.

Jman... hurry up. Geeeesh.

I cannot freaking wait to hear about this one. I am impatient.

Jman... hurry up. Geeeesh.

I cannot freaking wait to hear about this one. I am impatient.

Last bell rings in 6 minutes, but you get to wait until tonight still.

Muahaha

Muahaha

UGHHHHH!!!! MISERABLE!!! I just cannot wait.

Such a great looking club! I have heard wonderful things about the XTD fairway woods and assume it will be the same for the driver. Can't wait to hear more.

I've been very impressed with my Adams hybrids (XTD, Pro, and DHY) so I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts.
Sure sounds like I will be spending alot of time at the Adams tent later this month.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Is the face on this deeper than the I25 or Bio Cell+.

Muahaha

Man, quit holding out on us, we're information junkies and need a fix! :alien:

Yeah man, where's the goods! jk

I hit this last Thursday at the driving range - but in a shocker, it was another really cool, windy day, so it was hard to get too much of a read on the true performance. But here are a couple of things I noticed...

I hit it in the R flex set at 12 loft. Problem is, it was a 10.5 head, and to get to 12, I had to loft up, which closed the face. Thought it sounded & looked great, and it got into the air with no trouble - but I really missed hard left quite a bit ( which normally I don't ). I am placing the blame for that squarely on the shut face. I would like to try this with a square 12' head. One thing I liked was that the shaft length at 45" was much more where it should be for most players imo... I had no issues at all with the look of the slot, and actually thought the club looked great!

So, got this one out and about yesterday and definitely have a lot of things wandering around in my head, having hit it before at the event and watched Jared from Adams obliterate the ball with it all day I thought I had some clues abotu it already, perhaps not though.

• The slots don't bother me, at address, its nothing IMO, in fact its incredibly cool to me that you can see the material/weld location and difference b/w the slot section and the crown (if you look in the pic's you can see the slot is on the face section and the crown is welded behind the slot)
  • The cup face is something that takes a minute to get used to with your eye, we don't see it a lot because of the cost associated with the welding required to do it so its def different, you acclimate quickly though.
  • Different sound/feel. Crazy solid feel with a slight metallic "tonk" off the face, not the hollow bat sound though. Not bad, not obnoxious, just different.
  • Ball speeds were really solid on the initial outing, retention on misses seems promising as well.
  • Mid launch driver IMO, low spin too. No issues getting the ball UP though when I wanted to, could also keep it lower too.
  • Misses were WAY more playable than I ever anticipated. Hit a couple off the true heel of the head and still ended up in play. The Cup face gear ratio has something to it. Interesting.
  • Shaft pairing will fit a ton of people, not everyone, but a ton IMO.
  • Distance on well struck balls is all there. Its one of the longer heads I have hit from this years releases (and I have played a ton of them).
  • Iomic feels great, nice touch to round out the package.
  • 45" stock driver, thank you Adams.

Address pic, can see the cup face a little better:
96ee87bc-e7ca-4f40-8095-f55c66409439_zps3f4abb54.jpg

Agree on most of this Jman. The sound is a little different to be sure, but it's actually fairly pleasing to me - especially compared to this damn aluminum bat, excuse me, R11S, I'm playing now haha. And the DISTANCE. OH, the distance. This is easily the longest head I've been able to hit consistently this year - even longer than Bertha for me, although, I still haven't optimized my settings yet on the Bertha.

Agree on most of this Jman. The sound is a little different to be sure, but it's actually fairly pleasing to me - especially compared to this damn aluminum bat, excuse me, R11S, I'm playing now haha. And the DISTANCE. OH, the distance. This is easily the longest head I've been able to hit consistently this year - even longer than Bertha for me, although, I still haven't optimized my settings yet on the Bertha.

Inevitably distance is all about personal fitting and what one needs. The XTD and Bertha are different beasts as it pertains to spin.

Didn't say it was a bad sound, its just different. And you are spot on, NOTHING like your toaster on a stick R11S. :alien:

So, got this one out and about yesterday and definitely have a lot of things wandering around in my head, having hit it before at the event and watched Jared from Adams obliterate the ball with it all day I thought I had some clues abotu it already, perhaps not though.

• The slots don't bother me, at address, its nothing IMO, in fact its incredibly cool to me that you can see the material/weld location and difference b/w the slot section and the crown (if you look in the pic's you can see the slot is on the face section and the crown is welded behind the slot)
  • The cup face is something that takes a minute to get used to with your eye, we don't see it a lot because of the cost associated with the welding required to do it so its def different, you acclimate quickly though.
  • Different sound/feel. Crazy solid feel with a slight metallic "tonk" off the face, not the hollow bat sound though. Not bad, not obnoxious, just different.
  • Ball speeds were really solid on the initial outing, retention on misses seems promising as well.
  • Mid launch driver IMO, low spin too. No issues getting the ball UP though when I wanted to, could also keep it lower too.
  • Misses were WAY more playable than I ever anticipated. Hit a couple off the true heel of the head and still ended up in play. The Cup face gear ratio has something to it. Interesting.
  • Shaft pairing will fit a ton of people, not everyone, but a ton IMO.
  • Distance on well struck balls is all there. Its one of the longer heads I have hit from this years releases (and I have played a ton of them).
  • Iomic feels great, nice touch to round out the package.
  • 45" stock driver, thank you Adams.

Address pic, can see the cup face a little better:
96ee87bc-e7ca-4f40-8095-f55c66409439_zps3f4abb54.jpg

To add to this, went out to the local range (CRAP!) b/c I really just wanted to hit this one and the Tight Lies a few more times and frankly I needed to hit something after the day that has been for me.

Again, the sound is different, its different than any of the driver I have hit this year, but this is not a bad thing. I stand by it being probably the most solid feeling via impact I've come into contact with and the "tonk" as I called it before has zero hollowness or echo to it. Its unique in an interesting way.

Distance appears to be all there the more I hit it, quite the pairing for me with the stock shaft, didn't have my SC100 with me to record the ball speeds this time, but I only hit about 15 balls and will have it tomorrow for more data on that and smash. One of the longest I've hit this year for me. Definitely way up there.

Seeing way more forgiveness than anticipated and that again comes back to the ball speed retention and the cup face IMO. Don't get me wrong, a slice is a slice and a hook is a hook, but marginal misses remain playable. Thats always nice to see.

For fun, I threw this head in a 10.5° on my 6m3. It looked pretty mean. Performed great as well. Definitely made me wonder.

For fun, I threw this head in a 10.5° on my 6m3. It looked pretty mean. Performed great as well. Definitely made me wonder.

The ability to interchange shafts w/ TM shafts is huge.

I think the pairing with leaving the red-tie red was a smart move by Adams, looks pretty dang impressive.

Forgot I took these yesterday on course for grins as well:

photo22_zpsc84107ef.jpg

photo32_zpsa52983ac.jpg

The ability to interchange shafts w/ TM shafts is huge.

I think the pairing with leaving the red-tie red was a smart move by Adams, looks pretty dang impressive.

That adapter was a wonderful idea by Adams/TMag. The Red Tie is a treat of a shaft. Such a charmer. I just wanted to see what the head would do with the m3. For no better reason than to wet my tinkering appetite.

Awesome feedback James. Has me really wanting to hit this myself. You said you were going to try 9* and all the way lofted up, have you had a chance to do that yet and if so which setting worked better?

Inevitably distance is all about personal fitting and what one needs. The XTD and Bertha are different beasts as it pertains to spin.

Didn't say it was a bad sound, its just different. And you are spot on, NOTHING like your toaster on a stick R11S. :alien:

Definitely, the XTD seemed markedly lower spinning to me, and also lower launching. Bertha was a little straighter and a little more forgiving, while the XTD had the edge on distance and was just a little less forgiving (still forgiving though).

Yeah...I can't wait to go hit a different driver, I hate the sound of mine hahaha. Can't argue with the results, but it just sounds soooo crappy.

Great thoughts. This thing is one of the top 3 in forgiveness from what I have hit. I have yet to hit it on the screws but the distance on mis hits haven't been very punishing all based on a sim mind you. I wouldn't mind taking in my Yonex shaft and giving it a rip, nice call to make the R1 sleeve fit into this head.

Fantastic thoughts from yesterday morning James! Forgiveness, mid launch, and low spin?!?! Can it get much better?

Also a fan of 45" stock length....you've got me itching to hit this again, few swings at Cowboys were solid for me.

Back