Impact Ball - training aid

I use it most practice nights Mike. It's annoying at times, which is probably a good thing. Definitely helps remove hands from the equation and also helps me feel the shorter turn I'm looking for.

It is annoying, and that's why it works. Kinda like a personal trainer. At first you're like ahh $@%* you buddy, I hate you. You're worthless. Then after a couple month, you're in better shape but still hate him, just a little less.

With all the solid reviews and thoughts here, I got to look at getting one of these!

I think this could help my developing swing develop a little easier!

It is annoying, and that's why it works. Kinda like a personal trainer. At first you're like ahh $@%* you buddy, I hate you. You're worthless. Then after a couple month, you're in better shape but still hate him, just a little less.

Just got in from practice and again, it really gives me a good cue for that 3/4 backswing that I'm trying to feel.

I have one and like it. I think it is great for chipping practice. Mine is like the one in this thread, but I have seen one that is attached to a rope necklace that hangs from your neck so it is in the proper spot to use. I have not tried this one, but it looks useful although it might allow you to cheat a little more because you don't have to be as concerned about dropping the ball.

Last edited:
Just got in from practice and again, it really gives me a good cue for that 3/4 backswing that I'm trying to feel.

That it does.

Got my replacement (went medium after originally having the large) and really prefer the Medium. Not as easy to cheat, and liked what I was getting out of it.

It is by design a pain, but I think that means it is working. Hoping to get out again tomorrow as my biggest problem is over swinging with the arms and getting stuck (equals weak slappy slice). Will keep updating with my results. Glad I found this thread, $40 will be well worth it if I can get the results I think I will.

Originally got the junior by mistake, but my large showed up today. So far, I hate this stupid thing and my captain who talked me into buying it with his fancy video and quick salesman talk. I felt like my swing was in decent shape, but I'm losing this thing at the top; it feels so unnatural the way I have to adjust to keep it between my arms. I'll keep trying it and see if it gets any easier. I haven't tried it with chipping and putting yet, but hopefully it feels better for that.

Way to listen to your captain when I said start with pitching and chipping so you get used to it.......

It's not going to feel natural, especially when you've been doing it wrong. It'll get better I promise!

Way to listen to your captain when I said start with pitching and chipping so you get used to it.......

It's not going to feel natural, especially when you've been doing it wrong. It'll get better I promise!

That's what she sa--

Great. Now I think I'm going to get one of these. Thanks for wasting my money, Wardy. (Should I get the large?)

That's what she sa--

Great. Now I think I'm going to get one of these. Thanks for wasting my money, Wardy. (Should I get the large?)

I always recommend medium because it's not as easy to cheat. That's just me. If I were Trevor, I'd go large cause he's a bigger guy.

That pretty much sold it for me. Biggest swing flaw is over swinging. This seems like it could do the trick.

I'm large and in charge. Haven't found too much of an opportunity to cheat it yet.

Guessing Wardy will say "duh", but every time I use this, the more helpful and effective it is. Was just fooling around in the garage yesterday afternoon while the neighborhood kids were playing and I decided to take some dry swings. Something felt so right about the way I stayed connected down through the ball and with the release that I decided to just hit a few balls and boom. Just very nice. Ended up exciting me enough that I headed back out after the kids went to sleep. What I found was trying to recreate the feeling down and into the finish really worked, though every ten swings or so I'd pick up the ball and rehearse a bit, then back to real swings.

I always recommend medium because it's not as easy to cheat. That's just me. If I were Trevor, I'd go large cause he's a bigger guy.

Just ordered a large. I will let everyone know how it works.

Guessing Wardy will say "duh", but every time I use this, the more helpful and effective it is. Was just fooling around in the garage yesterday afternoon while the neighborhood kids were playing and I decided to take some dry swings. Something felt so right about the way I stayed connected down through the ball and with the release that I decided to just hit a few balls and boom. Just very nice. Ended up exciting me enough that I headed back out after the kids went to sleep. What I found was trying to recreate the feeling down and into the finish really worked, though every ten swings or so I'd pick up the ball and rehearse a bit, then back to real swings.

Not so much a duh, but yeah that's the feeling you want to have. I'm headed to the range later this evening with impact ball in tow to do the same.

Not so much a duh, but yeah that's the feeling you want to have. I'm headed to the range later this evening with impact ball in tow to do the same.

Have you used it with a driver at all Wardy? Leaving some pushed drives out with the swing change as I get away from that handsy release and wondering if this would help.

Have you used it with a driver at all Wardy? Leaving some pushed drives out with the swing change as I get away from that handsy release and wondering if this would help.

I use it with all 14 clubs yeah. It's not your first time using it though so I'd say go for it. For people who still think it feels comfortable, don't even think about using it for that just yet. It's like driving in the left lane on the interstate when you just got your learners permit. If you can't get it right at a slow speed, why are you trying it at the high speed?

Makes sense to me. More than anything I'd just like to get a good feel to (ideally) transfer into practice swings. I know I'm long with that club too. I don't even know if I'll bother trying to hit a ball with it.

Makes sense to me. More than anything I'd just like to get a good feel to (ideally) transfer into practice swings. I know I'm long with that club too. I don't even know if I'll bother trying to hit a ball with it.

The good news is you don't have to. Try it at the house for a bit and get used to recreating it, then take it outside. I practice with mine in the house with an old 3w all the time.

Is the HHI in October?!

I've gotten no shipping notifications, just an email order confirmation from a questionable email address, but if I get it, I'll try to fit it in the travel bag.

Pete, did you get this yet? I heard you talk about it at LC, but didn't catch whether you had it yet. We have the same... uh... "build"... so I'm wondering about which size to order. This thread has made me want to place an order.

Pete, did you get this yet? I heard you talk about it at LC, but didn't catch whether you had it yet. We have the same... uh... "build"... so I'm wondering about which size to order. This thread has made me want to place an order.
I did, and the small (orange and blue) is too small. I can't get my fat arms close enough at address for it to hold the ball. I've tried the large (yellow and blue) too and it's too big--rests on my fat belly moreso than in my arms. I'd go with a medium (green and blue color). And it can really help with putting/chipping/pitch shots. Full shots I can't comment on until I get the right size ball myself.

You need to go find one of these. You would really hate it, and that's a good thing. I know I hate it, but it is doing a good job of getting me into the correct position during the swing. I just need to really work with it a lot more. It may not have looked like it has been helping with my swing, but I am now mentally seeing how to swing correctly. I will be using it during my upcoming short game practices soon. As could be seen this weekend, I had NO short game to speak of. I haven't used this one to practice chipping /pitching, but that will happen soon.

Thanks, Pete!!

Eddie, did you find one locally? I was planning to look for one online.

I keep thinking I will pull the trigger on one of these but I want to see Ole Gray's to get an idea if I want the large or the medium size. Sounds like a great tool.

Back