SCOR Golf - The Official Thread

Since I'm not real long off the tee, nor deadly accurate with my longer irons, wedge play is a really important part of my game. When I decided to take this silly game up seriously about a year ago I picked up a set of G20s that included four wedges (PW - LW) and haven't been sorry for that really. And never having been much good at chipping (bump and run) I have focused on pitching (engaging the club's bounce and hopefully "drop and stop") primarily with the lob wedge. First with the 58/12 G20, a brief try with a 60/14 Cleveland which was a mistake, too much bounce for the loft, a 58/10 Ping Tour, and most recently a 58/12 Vokey, both of which have worked pretty well but I still feel there's something missing.

A month or so ago I started reading about the SCOR clubs and after reading extensively here and elsewhere got pretty excited about the concept. I ordered up the 51* demo club and have been playing around with it for a couple of weeks. This closely corresponds to my 50* gap wedge (U in Ping speak) and I've been really impressed in spite of the fact that the standard lie is too flat for my swing. The accuracy is great, and the SCOR may actually be a bit longer than the Ping, but not by a large margin. I have also done some chipping around the green, which worked at least as well as it would have with my current sticks (remember, this isn't a shot I often employ so results were bound to be iffy). I was also very pleasantly surprised by the performance from sand, although this loft isn't what I would be inclined to pull for a greenside bunker.

I really wish SCOR would give the option of testing a 57-59* wedge instead of the 51, but maybe they fear they would never get their demos back. (Would that really be bad?) Nonetheless, I had a taste and it seems pretty sweet. After swapping several very helpful emails and a phone conversation with JP, I've got a 60* lob coming my way next week some time. Genius 7 graphite shaft which should match my Ping shafts well, 1.5* upright lie, and my favorite Golf Pride New Decade Red mid-size grips. A note there, I did appreciate that the demo had the choke-down marks on the grip, but I always start my grip with the left hand so the right hand marks didn't do much for me. A Sharpie can take care of the measurement if I decide I need it.

I'm a bit concerned because I do use the bounce for most of my greenside play, but I was favorably impressed enough to invest in the lob wedge to find out for sure. This will leave me with a sort of awkward gap between my 54* sand wedge and the 60* but if the 60 works as well as I'm hoping I foresee replacing the Ping PW - SW with 45, 50, 55 SCOR clubs in the pretty near future. Needless to say, I'm hoping that my new "magic wand" is headed my way next week.

Thanks to JP for his help, and I will report back after I've had a chance to give the new stick a proper break-in period.

During my lesson today, we were 120 yards out, so I grabbed the gap wedge from my set, and the pro grabbed the demo 51 I have right now.

After he stuck his shot to 6', he looked at me and said "whoooo, I like the feel of that" and pulled another ball and stuck it to 3'. So I'd say he was impressed.

@PirateJim
I do agree with testing other lofts. Even though the 51* is close to my 52*, I would rather have tried the 56 or 60 and see how they perform vs other clubs. And for the company to be fearful of not getting their demo's back, they asked for my CC info when I paid for the demo shipping and noted that if I didn't return the club they would charge full price for it.

The grip that I have now with SCOR is their lack of grind customization. Great clubs, but you are only offered a V-grind as compared to the Mack Daddy, Vokey, and the Hopkins with their multiple grind options. Apart from that, these are great clubs top use and perform up to the price tag.

@PirateJim
I do agree with testing other lofts. Even though the 51* is close to my 52*, I would rather have tried the 56 or 60 and see how they perform vs other clubs. And for the company to be fearful of not getting their demo's back, they asked for my CC info when I paid for the demo shipping and noted that if I didn't return the club they would charge full price for it.

The grip that I have now with SCOR is their lack of grind customization. Great clubs, but you are only offered a V-grind as compared to the Mack Daddy, Vokey, and the Hopkins with their multiple grind options. Apart from that, these are great clubs top use and perform up to the price tag.

Offering different grinds would kind of go against their v-grind fits all motto though. I've been so impressed with the versatility that I will be replacing my current wedges with them to match the lofts of the TM TP CBs I will be testing.

@PirateJim

The bounce question is indeed my primary concern, but I've read enough positive comments on the V-Sole and seen few enough neagtives that I decided to take the plunge. When I first got the demo my initial impression was that I was sort of "digging" with it compared to my current club, but after a bit more use I've found that the divots are quite consistent and though somewhat deeper than I have been accustomed to, this probably is a function of coming off the super wide sole of my Ping G20s. I should know in a week or so, hopefully the club ships Monday and New Years won't slow things down too much.

I bagged a 50* & 54* Scor wedge about 6 weeks ago and haven't been happier with my short game. These wedges are like butter on full shots and spin tons around the green. Cannot say enough good things about Scor. As soon as I get get more $ I'll be bagging a 9i and PW.

I picked up four SCOR wedges recently, 1 for my bday and 3 at Christmas. Mine are 44, 48, 52, and 56. Saving up for the 60.

First impression is they are very nicely balanced, well made, pretty to look at. Can't wait to get back out there and use them during our nice winter season.

Looking forward to your feedback on them.

I picked up four SCOR wedges recently, 1 for my bday and 3 at Christmas. Mine are 44, 48, 52, and 56. Saving up for the 60.

First impression is they are very nicely balanced, well made, pretty to look at. Can't wait to get back out there and use them during our nice winter season.
Welcome to THP. Glad you are here.

JM

I love my Scor wedges and will most likely pick up two more soon. Anyway, I was in Golfsmith (at the HQ store in Austin) this evening and got to talking with one of their sales guys. Apparently Golfsmith is going to be carrying Scor wedges as a pilot soon. They'll have demos in store and then they'll help you get fitted. Hopefully the pilot works out and they roll it out to all their stores.

Long time since I posted in here. Had SCOR in the bag for a year. Superb wedges. I use a 60 out of sand, and my bunker play has improved no end. Great flight and stopping power from the grass and amazing customer service. I'm considering an iron change...and will then look at getting new SCOR to match...

My dad just bought a set and went 100% out of the green side bunkers. I have never seen him so good from the bunkers, it was impressive. I can't wait for him to get bored of them so I can take them. :D

Since I'm not real long off the tee, nor deadly accurate with my longer irons, wedge play is a really important part of my game. When I decided to take this silly game up seriously about a year ago I picked up a set of G20s that included four wedges (PW - LW) and haven't been sorry for that really. And never having been much good at chipping (bump and run) I have focused on pitching (engaging the club's bounce and hopefully "drop and stop") primarily with the lob wedge. First with the 58/12 G20, a brief try with a 60/14 Cleveland which was a mistake, too much bounce for the loft, a 58/10 Ping Tour, and most recently a 58/12 Vokey, both of which have worked pretty well but I still feel there's something missing.

A month or so ago I started reading about the SCOR clubs and after reading extensively here and elsewhere got pretty excited about the concept. I ordered up the 51* demo club and have been playing around with it for a couple of weeks. This closely corresponds to my 50* gap wedge (U in Ping speak) and I've been really impressed in spite of the fact that the standard lie is too flat for my swing. The accuracy is great, and the SCOR may actually be a bit longer than the Ping, but not by a large margin. I have also done some chipping around the green, which worked at least as well as it would have with my current sticks (remember, this isn't a shot I often employ so results were bound to be iffy). I was also very pleasantly surprised by the performance from sand, although this loft isn't what I would be inclined to pull for a greenside bunker.

I really wish SCOR would give the option of testing a 57-59* wedge instead of the 51, but maybe they fear they would never get their demos back. (Would that really be bad?) Nonetheless, I had a taste and it seems pretty sweet. After swapping several very helpful emails and a phone conversation with JP, I've got a 60* lob coming my way next week some time. Genius 7 graphite shaft which should match my Ping shafts well, 1.5* upright lie, and my favorite Golf Pride New Decade Red mid-size grips. A note there, I did appreciate that the demo had the choke-down marks on the grip, but I always start my grip with the left hand so the right hand marks didn't do much for me. A Sharpie can take care of the measurement if I decide I need it.

I'm a bit concerned because I do use the bounce for most of my greenside play, but I was favorably impressed enough to invest in the lob wedge to find out for sure. This will leave me with a sort of awkward gap between my 54* sand wedge and the 60* but if the 60 works as well as I'm hoping I foresee replacing the Ping PW - SW with 45, 50, 55 SCOR clubs in the pretty near future. Needless to say, I'm hoping that my new "magic wand" is headed my way next week.

Thanks to JP for his help, and I will report back after I've had a chance to give the new stick a proper break-in period.

Quoting myself above isn't meant to be narcissistic, but simply to connect the two posts a bit.

I finally received the new lob wedge, er... 60* Scoring Club yesterday afternoon. Yes, it took longer than I had hoped, but I can't complain given that I ordered it late on a Thursday afternoon right in between Christmas and New Years. The hang-up was my request for a specific non-standard grip (midsize Golf Pride New Decade Red) which no doubt had to be ordered in its turn.

The club is beautiful! Lots of pictures have already been shown, and this is just a quickie report rather than a review attempt, it looks just like other SCOR clubs, but with the NDMC Red grip and a graphite shaft. After ripping the box open I ran to the range yesterday evening, and then spent a good bit of time wringing the club out again today.

I'm happy to report that, for me, the V-Sole actually does seem to work pretty much as advertised, but it is still a golf club and you can hit poor shots with it which can be exacerbated by the V-Sole if you're used to playing with a high bounce wedge as I have been. Specifically, for some of those delicate chip like shots close to the green I apparently have been introducing more forward shaft lean than the SCOR likes, thus both delofting the club some and removing some of the bounce. I sort of chunked some today before I noticed what I was doing and adjusted my setup slightly. The point is that, for me at least, there is a learning curve, but after the time I spent today I don't think it will be that bad.

Performance wise, I definitely found the accuracy and distance control to be precise and consistent. I've been mostly using a 58* lob, so that's another learning curve to work my way around, but I think the consistency of distance control I was seeing today (even with range balls) will make the transition smoother. And speaking of smooth, a well struck shot seems almost imperceptible coming off the face.

Synopsis: I'm feeling like a happy customer. I'll spend a good chunk of the weekend with my new toy I expect, trying to get used to distance control and experimenting with various lies. The wind was blowing the wrong direction for me to willingly sample the practice bunker this afternoon, hopefully that will change tomorrow. I'll give at least one more post when/if I get happy enough to order more than this one club.

My Scor Wedges are my favorite wedges in my bag. Just wish I had the funds to buy a few more

This is the promised follow-up for my January 10 post above.

After a week or so of testing and experimentation with the 60* SCOR I was sold, love the club! Then, as I began thinking about ordering a few more wedges I complicated the issue by asking myself if I really wanted to buy a set of wedges to match my Ping G20s which I had been falling out of love with slowly. The answer was no, but the good news was that I had just had a birthday and hadn't yet bought myself a present. I rectified this by getting fitted for a set of Titleist AP1s. I ordered 5 - 40* PW in the AP1s with the intent of filling the bottom of the bag with SCORS.

Great, but now there was a new complication. I had ordered the 60* lob with SCOR's Genius 7 graphite shaft (75 grams) which was a nice match for the shafts in my G20s. However, the AP1s were coming with Steelfiber i95 (95 gram) shafts. After a bit of grumbling, and carefully avoiding the topic with the boss lady, I ordered three new SCORS (48, 52 and 56) with Genius 9 (95 gram) shafts and arranged to send my 60 back for a shaft swap. JP, the SCOR rep who took my order and arranged the return, told me that they would contact me for payment info once the club was back at their shop.

Less than a week later my three new wedges arrived and I started practicing with them, but I was becoming a bit miffed the following week wondering when the heck I would hear from them about the shaft swap on the 60, which is my go-to club in so many instances. Then, to my surprise, the UPS man turned up with the re-shafted club and there has apparently been no charge. That's customer service! So I'm a happy customer.

My new toys:
37AB9D8F-5274-4496-B52C-6488D137C074.jpg

61186607-7003-4580-B0BC-3825FBD82D0F.jpg

F8CD723E-3A21-4AE7-8CBD-465E25ABF6DF.jpg

Beautiful bag - want to trade :) ?

This is the promised follow-up for my January 10 post above.

After a week or so of testing and experimentation with the 60* SCOR I was sold, love the club! Then, as I began thinking about ordering a few more wedges I complicated the issue by asking myself if I really wanted to buy a set of wedges to match my Ping G20s which I had been falling out of love with slowly. The answer was no, but the good news was that I had just had a birthday and hadn't yet bought myself a present. I rectified this by getting fitted for a set of Titleist AP1s. I ordered 5 - 40* PW in the AP1s with the intent of filling the bottom of the bag with SCORS.

Great, but now there was a new complication. I had ordered the 60* lob with SCOR's Genius 7 graphite shaft (75 grams) which was a nice match for the shafts in my G20s. However, the AP1s were coming with Steelfiber i95 (95 gram) shafts. After a bit of grumbling, and carefully avoiding the topic with the boss lady, I ordered three new SCORS (48, 52 and 56) with Genius 9 (95 gram) shafts and arranged to send my 60 back for a shaft swap. JP, the SCOR rep who took my order and arranged the return, told me that they would contact me for payment info once the club was back at their shop.

Less than a week later my three new wedges arrived and I started practicing with them, but I was becoming a bit miffed the following week wondering when the heck I would hear from them about the shaft swap on the 60, which is my go-to club in so many instances. Then, to my surprise, the UPS man turned up with the re-shafted club and there has apparently been no charge. That's customer service! So I'm a happy customer.

My new toys:
37AB9D8F-5274-4496-B52C-6488D137C074.jpg

61186607-7003-4580-B0BC-3825FBD82D0F.jpg

F8CD723E-3A21-4AE7-8CBD-465E25ABF6DF.jpg

Thanks! But trades are out for the foreseeable future. The boss lady is pretty calm, but any more golf clubs turn up around here any time soon and Hurricane Cindy will blow up right in my living room!

Reviving an older thread but I had a couple questions. I recently ordered a set of SCOR wedges with the Genius 12 Firm + shaft. Does anybody have any experience with this shaft? I'm just really curious how it's going to play compared to DG wedge flex shafts.

*edited to correct the current shafts in my wedges.

Reviving an older thread but I had a couple questions. I recently ordered a set of SCOR wedges with the Genius 12 Firm + shaft. Does anybody have any experience with this shaft? I'm just really curious how it's going to play compared to DG wedge flex shafts.

*edited to correct the current shafts in my wedges.

A little stiffer, a little lower flight and a little lower spin possibly.

I agree with the 1st two, but not the 3rd here.
On the monitor, it actually showed as much/more spin on half and three quarter swings when compared.

On the monitor, it actually showed as much/more spin on half and three quarter swings when compared.

Thanks, mine was only by eyeing it no monitor here!

Thanks guys I appreciate it!

Are these available in the UK?

I tried a 52* with a Firm + in it i had to put an S400 in to reduce the spin enough to be able to use it i was spinning the ball back so far it i was better off hitting a full 58*

Really cool experience with Taylor from SCOR golf today. I was lucky enough to win a certificate for 3 custom SCOR wedges at a recent event. There was a direct number to Taylor who is actually going to be building my clubs...today! Very thorough review of my current equipment and also took requests for any loft/lie/grip adjustments. Even though I differed somewhat on his recommendation, he was very obliging and didn't push at all to go with anything different than what I wanted and felt comfortable with. Good dude, seems to really care about and enjoy what he does, even if it was just fulfilling an order for some schmo who was some clubs at a charity event.

Back