PING i25 Irons - Review Thread

Nice thoughts troy! How do the shaft/heads respond to flighting the ball lower and higher? Are you finding increased spin at all? How's the distance control?

Thanks Dan. When I attempt a knockdown/punch shot, I club up, move the ball back in my stance and take a shorter/more compact backswing. Distance control can get a little inconsistent for me when I alter my normal swing, but the i25's have performed very well thus far.

I have been getting lots of spin, maybe too much, on flushed scoring club shots. Now, the greens I am playing aren't firm so that has something to do with it. I anticipate some backspin on my approach shots, so I take that into account for club selection.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. I'm looking forward to trying these irons at a demo day on the 12th. I'm really liking Ping's philosophy with these irons in that the longer clubs are designed to help you get the ball up in the air, but the higher lofted end of the set is geared more towards finesse and accuracy.

You're welcome to take a few swings with mine as well on Sunday if we get there in time for some warm up on the range.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

It's an interesting thought, and a nice compliment towards the CFS shafts which I find very smooth in the swing, but what makes you want to return to steel? Just the design elements?

Is there anything you're finding inferior about the shafts you're gaming?

nothing inferior but some shots have less room for error with a lighter shaft. Mainly it is the wedges that I like having in steel so I can muscle certain shots without worrying about the club coming up during the swing.

Tap Tap Taparoo

Really interesting to hear about the toe shots on lower chip shots remaining consistent. I'll often hit towards the toe of my wedges to reduce some of the spin. Maybe this plays a bit into the forgiveness of the heads a bit?

Anyone else experience this?

For running chips I do the same thing. The set wedges have been great but I will say they still come off hotter than blade wedges.

Tap Tap Taparoo

You're welcome to take a few swings with mine as well on Sunday if we get there in time for some warm up on the range.

Thanks for the offer! But I don't do right handed clubs -- They make me look silly.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your fitting and seeing them in play.

Thanks for the offer! But I don't do right handed clubs -- They make me look silly.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your fitting and seeing them in play.

Yeah I guess that wouldn't help you much!

Question for you guys playing the full set wedges. I only ordered through the U wedge, opting not to go with the set sand wedge. I've got weird loft gaps now, though, because my RBZ irons were so much stronger than the i25s. So my U is 50, then I have 52 and 56. I'll probably switch to 54 and 58 or maybe stay 56 and go 60. From what I've read so far, those of you using the set SW are saying it really performs well in bunkers, so I'm assuming it's got a healthy amount of bounce to it. How is the spin on bunker shots compared to what you were using before? I'm really comfortable with my RTX out of the bunkers, but now I'm wondering if I shouldn't consider the set SW to get better gapping. What I'd like to know is what you'd feel the pros and cons would be for using the set SW vs. a Gorge or 588, etc.

Question for you guys playing the full set wedges. I only ordered through the U wedge, opting not to go with the set sand wedge. I've got weird loft gaps now, though, because my RBZ irons were so much stronger than the i25s. So my U is 50, then I have 52 and 56. I'll probably switch to 54 and 58 or maybe stay 56 and go 60. From what I've read so far, those of you using the set SW are saying it really performs well in bunkers, so I'm assuming it's got a healthy amount of bounce to it. How is the spin on bunker shots compared to what you were using before? I'm really comfortable with my RTX out of the bunkers, but now I'm wondering if I shouldn't consider the set SW to get better gapping. What I'd like to know is what you'd feel the pros and cons would be for using the set SW vs. a Gorge or 588, etc.

I really like how the set wedges gap. The wedges seem to play a little longer (I hit the set 54* longer than my 54* wedge. Even the set LW is great on full shots I just would recommend a custom grind. I still am trying to figure out that process. I use a LW out of bunkers.

So has anyone else had a little trouble keeping the grips tacky? To me it seems like they stay a little dusty after a wipedown. Think im going to put some ilines on there with an extra layer of tape.

I will say that as for the irons. I have yet to hit a "flyer". The consistency has been spot on.

I've only played one round with them so far, but don't feel real tacky to begin with. I didn't like them as much once I started playing. I don't hate them, but they don't feel as good to me as the Lamkins I normally play. Could just be that they're different, so I'll give them some more time, though. I'll keep an eye out for the dust factor you mentioned.

As far as spin, they stopped rather quickly. Speaking honestly id say they had a little less spin then my vokeys, but had plenty to stop the ball.

PING i25 Irons - Review Thread

I actually use the L out of green side traps. I prefer a high lofted sand wedge, my previous gamer was a MD2 58. The transition has been good and do see nice spin on bunker shots.

I've only played one round with them so far, but don't feel real tacky to begin with. I didn't like them as much once I started playing. I don't hate them, but they don't feel as good to me as the Lamkins I normally play. Could just be that they're different, so I'll give them some more time, though. I'll keep an eye out for the dust factor you mentioned.

The trick is to really scrub them down with some soap and water. Really wakes them up and also stops them from turning your hands black after swinging them for a couple hours.

With that being said, I'm pulling the I8 grips off after my next round and putting my Pure grips on. I decided to keep the i25's in the bag through the end of summer to give my game a run at single digits again.

Little bit of Long Iron Face testing!

Hybrids hate me for some reason so I’m stuck playing long irons. When I read all the info on how the i25’s have a new set progression and stabilizing bar on the long irons to get the ball into the air I was pretty excited.

Did a quick test at my local Golfsmith between the PING i25 4i and the Titleist 712u 4i. I have to give it to Titleist, the 712u has a nice feel and it’s easy to hit vs my old blade 4i but it’s not as forgiving as the PING i25 for off center or low hits. The 712u is pretty sexy looking club with less offset that makes my eye happy. i25 top line is more pleasing to look at. After a hand full of shots the i25 came out the winner from consistency and forgiveness.

Since the clear winner from my brief Golfsmith test was the PING i25 I decided to test how much distance I was losing hitting the ball on different parts of the face with my swing.

For the test I used the PING i25 4i and the SC100 launch monitor to give me ball speed, swing speed, and distance. I only counted the hit if the swing speed was the same and the ball launched at a proper angle for the miss. Took me a few stickers but I ended up with a good idea of how the face of the i25 4i performs for me.

On off center left right I’m losing between 4-7 yards with the higher loss towards the toe side during additional testing. High on the face is pretty punishing where I had a worst case 14 yard loss on one swing. Far out on the toe I had a 12 yard as my worst hit.

Overall I’m seeing half a club to a club loss in worst case hits for my swing and this is awesome. Distance loss was nowhere near my blade 4i which I was getting 20+ yard loss on the SC100.

i25_4i_face2.jpg

CK, that is fantastic stuff right there, thank you for that.

I'm like you in that traditionally hybo's hate me (currently trying to make it work again, but its a battle), the 4i in this set is just a lot of fun off the tee and the deck, the ball flight has been really surprising for me time and again.

CK, that is fantastic stuff right there, thank you for that.

I'm like you in that traditionally hybo's hate me (currently trying to make it work again, but its a battle), the 4i in this set is just a lot of fun off the tee and the deck, the ball flight has been really surprising for me time and again.

I wish I could hit a hybrid, they look so fun when I see other people launch them high and far. For me it's just a ballooning left hand turn into the red stakes.

One thing I forgot to mention in the previous testing is the amount of consistent control the i25's give over some other GI long irons.

My last GI set was the Callaway X-Hot Pro. I used the 4i as a 3i since it was 21°. The club was so hot and cold for distance I feared hitting the clubs. I would get one hit near center landing 210 and then boom 230 on the next. I know it wasn't me swinging out of my shoes because every club in the set performed this way. Made it really hard to trust the club for hitting long Par 3's.

I feared the super hot flyer shot so much I sold the X-Hot Pro's for $200 and went right back to blades. With the PING i25's I have not seen this phenomenon of hot shots and it's really changed my mind about what GI can offer.

I wish I could hit a hybrid, they look so fun when I see other people launch them high and far. For me it's just a ballooning left hand turn into the red stakes.

One thing I forgot to mention in the previous testing is the amount of consistent control the i25's give over some other GI long irons.

My last GI set was the Callaway X-Hot Pro. I used the 4i as a 3i since it was 21°. The club was so hot and cold for distance I feared hitting the clubs. I would get one hit near center landing 210 and then boom 230 on the next. I know it wasn't me swinging out of my shoes because every club in the set performed this way. Made it really hard to trust the club for hitting long Par 3's.

I feared the super hot flyer shot so much I sold the X-Hot Pro's for $200 and went right back to blades. With the PING i25's I have not seen this phenomenon of hot shots and it's really changed my mind about what GI can offer.

I have heard that about the Xhot and Xhot pros seem to have the same issue the old burners had

I'll agree completely that these are incredibly consistent for me.

Previous Entries:
First Post: Initial Thoughts - Click Here
Second Post: U Wedge Thoughts - Click Here
Third Post: First 9 holes - Click Here
Fourth Post: Range Time - Click Here
Fifth Post: Chambers Bay Round - Click Here
Sixth Post: First Arizona 9 Holes - Click Here
Seventh Post: Full 18 - Click Here
Eighth Post: Wind Wind Wind - Click Here

Location Details:
4/2-3/2014
StoneCreek Golf Course Range and Holes 1-5
66* Rain and 23mph wind/59* and 3mph wind

General Thoughts: I met a kid out on the range who was playing the i25s and so we started chatting about it and then went out and played a few holes. He was telling me how he played the g20s and switched to the i25s and thought it was great that he had no learning curve going to more of a "players" iron. He also saw his distances increase a lot.

Long/Mid irons: I hit these on the range and just the 4 iron but it was perfect as usual and once again has me pondering the 3 iron. Every shot was dead on line and if I needed a high shot it was there and a lower runner was just as easy. These clubs seem a little shorter than others which I think helps a lot when standing over the long irons and still feeling like you have a 7 iron in your hands.

Short Irons/Full Wedges: The short irons/wedges launch so well that I was having issues with the wind pushing the ball around due to the height. Once I started putting that into consideration when aiming there were no issues. The best part was working on chipping and hitting shots around the green for practice and hitting the flag stick 75% of the time with a few even dropping. I worked on hitting flop shots off of harder ground and while it is possible they fly a lot longer than with a normal wedge which defeats the purpose a bit. Out of the rough though that shot is very very easy.

Feel: I have had no loss of feel by using graphite which is huge. I know where the ball is struck and how it is struck even though these shafts are graphite. The feedback and sound of these clubs is another strength.

Distance:
I lost a little distance due to the higher launch into the wind but it was still only a few yards. The one part of distance I find important is how clubs gap though and that is a point where these clubs excel. Instead of 15 yard gaps these play very close to 10 yards. It is a lot easier to hit greens when you don't have to worry about having one club that will put you just short and the next club that will put you over.

Forgiveness:
With the weather turning yesterday I hit a few shots off center and didn't really notice too much. They hold the line and the shot shape which helps to minimize damage. Yay for still hitting a draw off the toe.

Workability:
I have gotten a lot better at shaping the ball left and right which is cool since I accidentally took the right side out of my game a few months ago. Nothing like being able to hit a fade into a tight pin. I still get surprised how I forget I play graphite due to the ball flights I still can hit. Usually keeping it low is a chore but there are no special "moves" in order to flight the ball.

Extra Findings:

I just can't seem to like these grips. I was worried about them at the start and seeing how they are in wet weather just kind of kills it for me. I wish the grip was a little longer and was a little more tacky. I do like the markings on the grip though as they help with keeping the club face square.

As far as the TFC shafts I am sold. These stood up to all of the graphite I have tested and stuck with each of them. As consistent as the Aldila NV line but as high as the C Kuas. That is pretty impressive. If you are someone like me who has been forced into graphite by injuries or just like the idea of vibration dampening these are fantastic.

The LW needs a heel grind and if that was a stock option this club would stay in the bag 100%. Right now I carry my copper forged 60* just in-case I have to flop from harder ground or hard sand. The full shots with wedges are just too good to replace the set wedges though.

Concept good stuff buddy.

I have been looking at these for my next set of irons. I have played with the i20's and loved them! I haven't been able to hit the i25's yet. For anyone that has played both, which do you recommend more?

I have been looking at these for my next set of irons. I have played with the i20's and loved them! I haven't been able to hit the i25's yet. For anyone that has played both, which do you recommend more?

The i20's to me have been my ultimate set of irons, they just fit my eye better than any other, I had good launch, decent distance, a ton of forgiveness on my toe miss, and was just confident in them. Because of that I was a BIG pessimist coming into this forum review having been in on the i20 one as well, I didn't like the cavity, I thought it would just be a 100% rehash, etc. However, I think its been said best inhere that the i25's are an evolution on the i20's rather than a revolution, bc they didn't need mega drastic changes. The cavity has grown on me and its a clean look and as I mention in the homepage review its for a reason to showcase the variable stabilizing bars. The i25's are also about 3/4 club longer for me distance wise and a lot of that is due to the better launch, especially in the long irons.

I'll say this, the i20's are a tremendous set of irons, I believe that the i25's are the same, in the end it will come down to which you think looks best, and do you want a little more launch and distance for the price since the i25's will obviously be higher priced being the new generation. I say go find them and hit them if you can, I don't think you would be disappointed in either at all though IMO.

The i20's to me have been my ultimate set of irons, they just fit my eye better than any other, I had good launch, decent distance, a ton of forgiveness on my toe miss, and was just confident in them. Because of that I was a BIG pessimist coming into this forum review having been in on the i20 one as well, I didn't like the cavity, I thought it would just be a 100% rehash, etc. However, I think its been said best inhere that the i25's are an evolution on the i20's rather than a revolution, bc they didn't need mega drastic changes. The cavity has grown on me and its a clean look and as I mention in the homepage review its for a reason to showcase the variable stabilizing bars. The i25's are also about 3/4 club longer for me distance wise and a lot of that is due to the better launch, especially in the long irons.

I'll say this, the i20's are a tremendous set of irons, I believe that the i25's are the same, in the end it will come down to which you think looks best, and do you want a little more launch and distance for the price since the i25's will obviously be higher priced being the new generation. I say go find them and hit them if you can, I don't think you would be disappointed in either at all though IMO.

Thank you for the information. I am going to try and hit the i25's this weekend. I currently play with TM Burner Plus irons and was amazed at the difference the i20's made when I played my buddys set. That round definately made me a Ping fan.

Thank you for the information. I am going to try and hit the i25's this weekend. I currently play with TM Burner Plus irons and was amazed at the difference the i20's made when I played my buddys set. That round definately made me a Ping fan.

These two lines and then the new s55's have really gotten SO much better aesthetically than PING irons used to be for sure.

After you hit them come let us know what you think, the more feedback the merrier, truly.

These two lines and then the new s55's have really gotten SO much better aesthetically than PING irons used to be for sure.

After you hit them come let us know what you think, the more feedback the merrier, truly.

I will definately let you know how it goes. After reading your review, I can't wait to try the i25's.

Was watching Cristie Kerr play in the Kia Classic and noticed she was gaming the PING i25 irons. I didn't see her on the PING staff list so out of all the clubs she has to chose from she's playing the i25's. Says something good about these irons.

Cristie+Kerr+Kia+Classic+Round+2+DUrDUhmKlD9l.jpg

Back