Cleveland 588 Altitude Hybrid Irons Preview

They are quite addicting to hit. Wait till the next step happens. When course management kicks in because it's okay to have a 5 iron into the green.

Still darn near impossible to hit crappy...on the range.

So glad I didn't try them on the course, or else I'd have a set I'm sure.

Who needs low scores and simplifying the game anyhow

haha! I toyed with the idea of these, and with them, for quite a while. Somehow I just couldn't stay away. Now I think I'm totally hooked.

They were on my radar, then off, and maybe now back on. Dang.

They are quite addicting to hit. Wait till the next step happens. When course management kicks in because it's okay to have a 5 iron into the green.

Looking forward to it JB! Lord knows I could use ton of course management. I'll be really happy to have 5 iron into the green that doesn't go over at random times for no apparent reason.

Still darn near impossible to hit crappy...on the range.

So glad I didn't try them on the course, or else I'd have a set I'm sure.

Who needs low scores and simplifying the game anyhow

I had to to get really stupid with them to hit any crappy shots.

I just giggled a little at this thought.

I want to try these in a bad way ?. Timing is not good at the moment but maybe one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want to try these in a bad way . Timing is not good at the moment but maybe one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The homeliest clubs you'll ever love! lol

I used to think I was getting away with murder with the DI-11's, but it turns out it was only unintentional manslaughter.

A good buddy of mine is a decent at best golfer. Had some old TaylorMade hand me downs and he was in the market for new clubs... he went and hit everything known to man kind, but never hit the Altitudes. He asked me to come with him one day because he couldnt decide on the Bafflers or G15s.

I offered up some thoughts on the Altitudes... he decided to give them a swing.. he was astonished at how easy they were to hit.

Needless to say, he bought the Altitudes.

He has had them for 5 rounds... and he just shot his best career round of 92. Talking about walking around on Cloud 9.

I have made the switch to the Altitudes in the 5 and 6 irons so far they seem to be more consistent as in straight and getting them up and surprisingly a little longer than the X Hot's and I lose less distance on a off centre hit than I do with the X Hot’s.

I was a Callaway homer through and through until I got the Smart Soles to improve my short game, now I have the Altitudes in my long irons as I was having trouble there, starting to wonder what the MT's would be like in the 7-DW not sure I could go with the Altitudes in the 7-DW.

I was a Callaway homer through and through until I got the Smart Soles to improve my short game, now I have the Altitudes in my long irons as I was having trouble there, starting to wonder what the MT's would be like in the 7-DW not sure I could go with the Altitudes in the 7-DW.
That's what I was initially thinking too. Having tried the full set now, I can't see any downside to playing all of them. Heck I'm even thinking of getting the SW. I can hit every shot with these that I could hit with my old blades, with better consistency. It's like the ball doesn't even know that I'm not hitting it with my blades. haha

That's what I was initially thinking too. Having tried the full set now, I can't see any downside to playing all of them. Heck I'm even thinking of getting the SW. I can hit every shot with these that I could hit with my old blades, with better consistency. It's like the ball doesn't even know that I'm not hitting it with my blades. haha

I see you haven't decided on wedges yet do yourself a favour and try the Smart Soles I got rid of my X Hot Sand and Lob wedges and replaced them with the Smart Soles and have droped 9 strokes in 6 months off my h'cap. My short game was terrible and now it is one of the stronger parts of my game.

I see you haven't decided on wedges yet do yourself a favour and try the Smart Soles I got rid of my X Hot Sand and Lob wedges and replaced them with the Smart Soles and have droped 9 strokes in 6 months off my h'cap. My short game was terrible and now it is one of the stronger parts of my game.

I'm definitely considering it, not 42* but the 58*. I generally struggle with higher lofted wedges because, for over 25 years, I almost always just used a 50* (pitching wedge) from 120 and in. I have had many different wedges, but none ever got used a whole lot except for sand.

Surprised to find that from 4-8 the lofts are slightly stronger than my Di's. The 9's are the same, the P is 1.5* weaker, and D is 3* weaker than the G.

I'm definitely considering it, not 42* but the 58*. I generally struggle with higher lofted wedges because, for over 25 years, I almost always just used a 50* (pitching wedge) from 120 and in. I have had many different wedges, but none ever got used a whole lot except for sand.

The 58* is so versitile I can use it from sand rough and even a tight lie have never got a ball either fat or thin since I have had it, as for the 42* I find it more consistent than using a pitching wedge around the greens for chipping maybe because it is only 34" long and the same as the 58* I never get them thin or fat and I had an extra spot in the bag so I gave it a try and it's there for good now.

The 58* is so versitile I can use it from sand rough and even a tight lie have never got a ball either fat or thin since I have had it, as for the 42* I find it more consistent than using a pitching wedge around the greens for chipping maybe because it is only 34" long and the same as the 58* I never get them thin or fat and I had an extra spot in the bag so I gave it a try and it's there for good now.

Sounds like a great set up man.

Sounds like a great set up man.

Yeah I am hoping the 5&6 Altitudes help my long iron part of my game as much as the Smart Soles helped my short game. I had trouble using my 4 Iron and got rid of that for a 4 Hybrid that works well but I'm not a big fan of having a bag full of Hybrids.

Just back from my Ocean City trip last weekend, and I have to say that these are keepers. I just can't believe I can hit a 4 iron again.

More analysis has to be done because it was so cold and wet, it was hard to judge anything, including the courses we played. Due to work and a 2 week vacation in Italy, I won't be able to do more evaluation until May. More in this thread then.

To those that went with Steel shafts, do any of you second guess that decision? Wish you had gone graphite instead??

To those that went with Steel shafts, do any of you second guess that decision? Wish you had gone graphite instead??

Having hit both now I'm glad I held out for the graphite, but the stock steel stiff shafts really aren't bad either. Sorry, I know that's not much help. lol

For me the lighter weight in shafts (graphite or steel) seem to cause me issues with my swing. I guess my quick transition just doesn't do well with lighter shafts. I haven't actually played the altitudes with either shaft.

They were on my radar, then off, and maybe now back on. Dang.
This is me to a T. And I think it has to do with the below:

For me the lighter weight in shafts (graphite or steel) seem to cause me issues with my swing. I guess my quick transition just doesn't do well with lighter shafts. I haven't actually played the altitudes with either shaft.
I took a flyer on a stock graphite shafted 6 iron back in 2013. It just...simply didn't work for me. The lightweight shaft and I did not get along (along with a few other things I'm sure--ball position & crappy swing). Just last weekend in Lake Charles, Cookie let me swing his Alt's shafted with heavier steel shafts (full disclosure: C-Taper Lite) and it was a night and day difference for the better for me. And now I am full on ponder with a heavier steel shafted version.

Back