I am sure it exists in the game of golf, especially with the amount of money on the line when it comes to tournament purses and endorsement deals. Guys are training harder, getting stronger, more athletic - why wouldn't they be looking for any edge that can help them. Some PEDs can be used to recover from injuries and get guys back on the course - so I think it would be naïve to think guys are looking for help to get them back on the Tour faster.

Right now I am not aware of any real suspensions within the PGA if there is a failed test - are there any? What would be the deterrent for a golfer to get caught using PEDS ? MLB found that a 50 game suspension for first time offenders and 100 game suspension for second time users really wasn't that big a deterrent, so they just made their punishments incredibly tough.

Guys are in better shape EVERY year on tour. If people think that is simply because of more time in the gym they are delusional.

With the shortened offseason and the wrap around season, I am wondering how these guys are managing the find time to really train and get into shape for the upcoming season.

I am sure it exists in the game of golf, especially with the amount of money on the line when it comes to tournament purses and endorsement deals. Guys are training harder, getting stronger, more athletic - why wouldn't they be looking for any edge that can help them. Some PEDs can be used to recover from injuries and get guys back on the course - so I think it would be naïve to think guys are looking for help to get them back on the Tour faster.

Right now I am not aware of any real suspensions within the PGA if there is a failed test - are there any? What would be the deterrent for a golfer to get caught using PEDS ? MLB found that a 50 game suspension for first time offenders and 100 game suspension for second time users really wasn't that big a deterrent, so they just made their punishments incredibly tough.

There is one that I know about. Here is the link http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/columns/story?id=4652706

Guys are in better shape EVERY year on tour. If people think that is simply because of more time in the gym they are delusional.

Change the word guys to golfers. I dont believe any tour is exempt from this including the ones that are female.

With the shortened offseason and the wrap around season, I am wondering how these guys are managing the find time to really train and get into shape for the upcoming season.

Totally. Do I think it's wide spread ? No. Are there a significant amount of dabblers and users? My guess would be yes.

Change the word guys to golfers. I dont believe any tour is exempt from this including the ones that are female.

Totally true JB. Great point. EVERYONE is looking for an edge.

I think it's the case in every single sport out there. People are always looking for a mental or physical edge.

I would be shocked if there wasn't.

i would be shocked if PGA golfers weren't using PED's..but i would love to know how many take some sort of ADHD or similar medication to help with the mental game required out there.

PEDs & Tour Golf

A question for the guys saying they're using them to be in better shape and recover faster. Do you think that the PEDs make them better ball strikers? Better putters? Better short game players? If they're only using them to recover faster is it really hurting the game to see the best golfers (assuming the best are using the PEDs) on the course more often than not? I personally don't think it hurts the game. Like I said they still need to hit the shots they are and we all know that more often than not most shots in golf require distance control and touch and not just pure distance. They still need to putt and have a short game. If PEDs are being used by the best players in the field to be on the course more often than not, I'm all for them.

A question for the guys saying they're using them to be in better shape and recover faster. Do you think that the PEDs make them better ball strikers? Better putters? Better short game players? If they're only using them to recover faster is it really hurting the game to see the best golfers (assuming the best are using the PEDs) on the course more often than not? I personally don't think it hurts the game. Like I said they still need to hit the shots they are and we all know that more often than not most shots in golf require distance control and touch and not just pure distance. They still need to putt and have a short game. If PEDs are being used by the best players in the field to be on the course more often than not, I'm all for them.

Yes its hurting the game. Yes it can make them better players. More practice can be done. Faster recovery to lead to more rounds and again more practice. More endurance leads to better energy and more concentration late in rounds.

Its cheating. Its used to get an edge when its against the rules. Saying that someone still has to make the putts or the shots is no different than in any other sport. People assume that PEDs are only anabolic steroids used to get larger and stronger. That is merely a segment of the cheating that goes on.

PEDs & Tour Golf

Yes its hurting the game. Yes it can make them better players. More practice can be done. Faster recovery to lead to more rounds and again more practice. More endurance leads to better energy and more concentration late in rounds.

Its cheating. Its used to get an edge when its against the rules. Saying that someone still has to make the putts or the shots is no different than in any other sport. People assume that PEDs are only anabolic steroids used to get larger and stronger. That is merely a segment of the cheating that goes on.

I guess I'm just indifferent to the whole PED thing. If guys want to risk their body to get an edge go for it. Even with baseball, they still have to have the hand eye coordination to hit a 95mph fast ball or 2.5 foot breaking ball on the screws. Sure they may hit a few extra home runs where the ball may have died at the warning track, but if MOST everyone is going to cheat and do them anyways then they need to change something. How about test everyone all the time and make the punishment so serve that no one will even think to try and cheat, say completely banned from the sport, or make them all legal and let the guys do whatever they want to themselves for the edge.

Excellent point, any pro golfer is going to be looking for that little bit to put themselves over the top. And sometimes I have no doubt it's PEDs.

i would be shocked if PGA golfers weren't using PED's..but i would love to know how many take some sort of ADHD or similar medication to help with the mental game required out there.

Medications used for psychological conditions are typically only effective if you have a "chemical imbalance," and may actually have an adverse effect if taken with "normal brain functioning."
Ex: taking an ADHD medication can actually stimulate brain activity, causing hyper-activity in a person without the disorder resulting in poor concentration (kind of like drinking too much coffee or an energy drink).
Or, if someone took meds for anxiety it would make them more sluggish and less focused (drowsy) if the meds were not used to treat ongoing symptoms related to anxiety or depression. Maybe someone could take an Ativan to calm down prior to a match but it wouldn't make him a "better player."

Mental health issues are to be treated in a similar fashion as physical health problems. If I don't have low blood pressure, I'm definitely not going to take meds for it to relax, as I may pass out if I exert myself too much.

Has this been tried in professional sports? Who knows. But I'm leery about it having an overall benefit.

Sorry, just my thoughts :act-up:

As for the PED discussion, I have mixed feelings regarding how one would get an edge in golf. Short game is so important at the highest level of golf and I'm not sure physical strength benefits "feel" and outright skill in this area.

I am sure it's out there. In my heart of hearts, I hope it's not too widespread, but I know that with that much money on the line there's a lot of people that will do anything to try to get some of it. It's a shame, but it's true.

Medications used for psychological conditions are typically only effective if you have a "chemical imbalance," and may actually have an adverse effect if taken with "normal brain functioning."
Ex: taking an ADHD medication can actually stimulate brain activity, causing hyper-activity in a person without the disorder resulting in poor concentration (kind of like drinking too much coffee or an energy drink).
Or, if someone took meds for anxiety it would make them more sluggish and less focused (drowsy) if the meds were not used to treat ongoing symptoms related to anxiety or depression. Maybe someone could take an Ativan to calm down prior to a match but it wouldn't make him a "better player."

Mental health issues are to be treated in a similar fashion as physical health problems. If I don't have low blood pressure, I'm definitely not going to take meds for it to relax, as I may pass out if I exert myself too much.

Has this been tried in professional sports? Who knows. But I'm leery about it having an overall benefit.

As for the PED discussion, I have mixed feelings regarding how one would get an edge in golf. Short game is so important at the highest level of golf and I'm not sure physical strength benefits "feel" and outright skill in this area.

There are people that believe that mental health drugs are abused more than physical drugs in sports. Drugs like Ritalin have spiked in some sports 4 times over in just the last 5 years.

My heart wants to believe that golfers above all this. A game that is built on integrity. But my brain tells me differently. It's out there, no doubt. Just how much I have no idea.

There are people that believe that mental health drugs are abused more than physical drugs in sports. Drugs like Ritalin have spiked in some sports 4 times over in just the last 5 years.
I could believe that, wouldn't they be easier to obtain and hide?

Oh absolutely agree with this. It might be higher...

This x 1000000 - exactly the issue. Many types of PED's

I think that as long as their are millions up for grabs for basically winning 1 event, then there are going to be people that try and find a "shortcut" to winning or playing better.

I don't think it's wide spread at all....but I do think there are guys out there that would do anything to win,

If I can make more swings a week, hit more balls, do more drills because I'm taking something to help me recover faster so I can hit the range again the next day or have the endurance to add another bucket or round. Then I should become better as more proper reps, more time on the course done right is how you get better.

If I'm taking something to calm my nerves or allow me to focus better while on the range or during a round then I have an advantage over someone who isn't taking it.

It may make for better watching or increase the entertainment value but it hurts the integrity of the sport and if records should be broken due to the use of PEDs then it hurts the game in my eyes.

Agreed^^^^^^^^^

You are correct that some people react opposite to the drug but under the watchful eye of a doc this can be found out and meds can be changed. Finding something that works for an athlete is no different than finding the same that works for any other patient.

I wouldn't be surprised if drugs to help you focus, calm nerves are being used in other sports at all.

I'm one of those that believe certain sports or specific positions/actions in those sports could be helped by mental health drugs.

That's why beta blockers were banned by the PGA in 2008. They supposedly calm nerves and sharpens focus. I think Greg Norman came out saying that prior to the ban a lot of guys on the PGA Tour were using beta blockers. For the rest of us, the only beta blocker we use to calm nerves is beer. Problem is that beer certainly doesn't sharpen my focus.

I'm going to be naive and say no. But would I be surprised if there was? Hell no.

Totally agree with this! The game is about distance off the tee now more than ever. I want to believe there isn't but with so much money on the line every week it's defiantly a possibility

Naive question (and apologies if this was answered on previous pages): what exactly would constitute a ped in golf? Steroids aren't going to help because you'd presumably lose an element of the touch/feel required. Concentration improvements? Painkillers if you have a headache?

Back