salisboss

RIP Jake 8/17/01-9/21/14
Reaction score
Handicap
Yesterday I had 1/2" taken off the butt end of my driver and had a UTX grip put on. However the inch at the butt has a little play in it. The rest of the grip is solidly attached and doesn't flex - just the butt. Is there something wrong? Should I take it back to be reapplied?

Yes. Take it back.

I would take it back can't have the shaft or grip moving during a swing

Yup that's not right. Easy fix for them

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Think this one is pretty save, take it back let them fix it

Thanks for the responses.

It is installed wrong. Easy to do with the UTx grips, but they should take care of that for you.

It is installed wrong. Easy to do with the UTx grips, but they should take care of that for you.

How is it easy to install a UTx wrong? Don't they go on like a normal grip?

Yes, they do go on like normal grips, but they seem to be a soft material. I had one that was difficult to get on all the way. It did not want to slide all the way on the shaft. I had to really spend some time working into position. I like these grips, but did see the possibility of this issue while the installing these.
I was at a shop, later that week, that builds clubs and I was talking with them about the issue that I had with that one grip. They have installed numerous UTx grips and thought they were cheaply made because of how soft they were, which made them difficult to install.

They will have to relick that calf.

Man, talk about timing. I had the same thing happen yesterday! Dammit it ticks me off too. I'm going to pull it and toss it since it's my own fault I guess, but I suppose I won't be buying any more of them after that.

Yes. Take it back.
Sound familiar Josh?

Every grip that I've installed myself has this problem. I just can't seem to get the grip completely seated on the butt of the shaft. It doesn't bother me so much swinging, as I tend to choke up a little, but it does bother me when I'm simply holding the club. I'll fix them eventually...like this weekend.

Man, talk about timing. I had the same thing happen yesterday! Dammit it ticks me off too. I'm going to pull it and toss it since it's my own fault I guess, but I suppose I won't be buying any more of them after that.

Was it a UTx?

Yep it was.

Hawk, I really do like the feel of these, but they were a pain to install. I only had issue with one, out of three, but that one was a bear to install correctly. Just seemed to fight me the whole way. Hard to get it aligned also.

I do love the feel of the grip for sure.

Hawk or anyone else, were you installing using solvent or air? I've done 2 with air and haven't had any issues *yet*

Hawk or anyone else, were you installing using solvent or air? I've done 2 with air and haven't had any issues *yet*

Solvent. It was a bit of a chore to get on, but felt like it seated just fine. I didn't even think twice about it until I picked it up later.

Solvent. It was a bit of a chore to get on, but felt like it seated just fine. I didn't even think twice about it until I picked it up later.

hmm. I have 1 more laying around. Perhaps I'll install it tonight using solvent.

Funny you guys mention this as I just had the same thing fixed after getting an iLine grip installed on my Alpha. I noticed it right after it was installed but just thought that since the glue wasn't dry it would firm up. I played 9 holes with it and could actually feel the butt end flexing slightly as I was gripping the club. I actually had the best driving round I've had in a long time and I couldn't decide whether or not to take it back to get it fixed or not. But I did go get it fixed because I didn't want the inconsistency in feel as well as the added length to the driver.

I too used solvent. The first two went on with no problems. #3 though was a battle the entire way.

Took it back and them re-do but it took the guy forever. He noticed the issue and was really pulling to get it all the way on. Now it is draining we will see tomorrow how it is.

Are you serious, he tried pulling the grip further down inside of removing an putting a new one right away. Sheesh...
Took it back and them re-do but it took the guy forever. He noticed the issue and was really pulling to get it all the way on. Now it is draining we will see tomorrow how it is.

Store it head up to keep the weight of the club pushing down

Back