Etiquette question: talking to someone else's ball

I don't do it but I don't care if others do it. Except some of the people on Big Break really get on my nerves doing it.

I do it. Most people I play with do it. I have no issues with it UNLESS I hit a terrible shot like a duck hook or slice and one of my playing partners starts saying "stay right there" "hang on hang on" NO! I hit a terrible shot just let me be pissed at myself in silence lol.

although when someone is talking to your ball all day and then goes silent on a bad shot, the silence is deafining and sometimes more annoying that a sympathetic "hang on" lol

I do it, but not as often as I used to. I see no reason that it would be a problem, so long as you don't go all Happy Gilmore and start yelling and swearing at it.

~Rock

I do it without even thinking about it, second nature.

How do you feel about people talking to your golf ball?

"Get down" or "Land soft". Does it matter if it's praise?

Do you do it yourself? Are there rules about what's acceptable?

I do it. I also have no issues if anybody talks to my ball in the air.

I don't want anyone talking to my ball in flight and I don't talk to other peoples.

I seldom do it to my shots... but I do it much more when rooting for other's shots. I'll give out "nice shot" or "great ball" quite often - I figure a nice shot should be praised. Usually the most I'll say to my own ball is "get up" "sit" or the ever dangerous "That's gotta be good" and watch as the ball promptly rolls off the back of the green. If someone else talks to my ball, I couldn't care less - in the scheme of things I have way bigger fish to fry!

I don't want anyone talking to my ball in flight and I don't talk to other peoples.

If somebody says something, even if it is 100% complimentary, does it bug you?

Talk to my ball all the time. Don't care if someone wants to talk to mine either. The only talking I do to another player's is usually 'Hold on' trying to get it to stop cutting/slicing

I'll do it from time to time I guess, more expressing my thoughts out loud than asking the ball to do something. I'm of the opinion that what someone says when the ball is in the air has no bearing on where the ball lands so it doesn't really matter.

I'm fine with it as long as you acknowledge it's not listening to you :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You mean like nice shot or good shot?

I think everybody agrees, if somebody talks to your ball and says, "Get in the water!" That's a jerk move.

But if the ball is in the air, yeah, "good ball" or a "be the right club today." Granted, I am not the best judge of shot quality. I usually wait for the ball to land before I say good shot. But I will blow if the ball is trying to carry water.

I think everybody agrees, if somebody talks to your ball and says, "Get in the water!" That's a jerk move.

But if the ball is in the air, yeah, "good ball" or a "be the right club today." Granted, I am not the best judge of shot quality. I usually wait for the ball to land before I say good shot. But I will blow if the ball is trying to carry water.

See, we have different definitions of "talking to the ball" then, because I don't consider saying "good shot" to be talking to the ball. I consider that telling the person they hit a good shot. Or a lucky shot or whatever. It's the the sit, sit or settle, settle that is basically saying "you probably just hit a bad shot but I am going to say sit sit settle settle like it's gonna help" that can get overused. Nothing wrong with saying "good shot", "nice shot" or even "you sure got lucky on that shot" and I never said there was. Also nothing wrong with saying "that sure was a pretty shot, too bad it went straight into the woods"!

Again, the guy I played so many rounds with the last three years or so decided last year to incorporate sit, settle, bite, etc., into our rounds and overused the crap out of the words. That's probably why I am sick of hearing it. And like I said earlier, he is the only one who said it enough to get on my nerves. Not sure if I even noticed anyone else say it more than once in a great while.

See, we have different definitions of "talking to the ball" then, because I don't consider saying "good shot" to be talking to the ball. I consider that telling the person they hit a good shot. Or a lucky shot or whatever. It's the the sit, sit or settle, settle that is basically saying "you probably just hit a bad shot but I am going to say sit sit settle settle like it's gonna help" that can get overused. Nothing wrong with saying "good shot", "nice shot" or even "you sure got lucky on that shot" and I never said there was. Also nothing wrong with saying "that sure was a pretty shot, too bad it went straight into the woods"!

Again, the guy I played so many rounds with the last three years or so decided last year to incorporate sit, settle, bite, etc., into our rounds and overused the crap out of the words. That's probably why I am sick of hearing it. And like I said earlier, he is the only one who said it enough to get on my nerves. Not sure if I even noticed anyone else say it more than once in a great while.

When I think of talking to a ball, "Land soft" gets said because we hear Johnny Miller say it on TV. If it's going towards the woods and I say, "Hit something hard and bounce right!" That is different. But if somebody (me) skulls a pitch and the ball is screaming across the ground, I expect somebody to say, "bite"

Seeing as how I've already hit my shot, and we are just watching, I don't care.

If you try and talk to my golf ball at anytime before I've made contact, then yes I care.

I talk to the ball and usually myself after hitting a bad shot, not nice words usually. But I keep those to my head not saying them verbally.

I talk, and I don't mind if someone talks to my ball. It can be annoying if someone keeps saying something opposite what I'm trying to do, or if I see that the ball is good, and they get all pessimistic...it's gone, in the water etc.

Of course I do.

Usually it's something like "NO, NO, NO!!!!!" or "What the hell is that?"

I don't do it a lot but when I do its usually on my 100 and in shots. I don't see anything wrong with it.

Sometimes I do it. I don't mind if others do it.

I have a friend who says "Get in the hole!" on any putt that comes close ... doesn't matter if it's his ball or someone else's.

I don't mind people talking to my ball.... lets me know i have a good chance of finding it....

Back