Paulina Gretzky on cover of Golf Digest

Its an interesting move.
So many LPGA girls work hard on fitness and this would have been a good spot.
So many fitness people work inside the golf industry and would have been good for this.
So many PGA Tour professionals take fitness seriously and would have been good for this.

Instead they chose a "celebrity" and I view it no differently than putting Paris Hilton on the front of NFL.com when she was dating a player. Something that the NFL would never do. Its a weak splash for attention and while I have some great friends that work there, something like this I find "interesting" to say the least.

I agree on all points!

I think that is selling the entire tour a bit short. They were worthy enough to cover clearly as they have had stories and numerous on the players, tour, etc.

I dont see it that way. Nobody here is buying an extra issue, or deciding to buy an issue due to this conversation. In fact a few said they would not be renewing (not because of this), which I am not sure I understand either.

Increase in hits to their website? I'm not sure how that's measured, but I would assume that there's a couple thousand extra views on their at least due to all of the talk this is getting.

How is this really any different than the top flite ad I just saw on TV talking about old dirty balls and such.... Race to the bottom!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont see it that way. Nobody here is buying an extra issue, or deciding to buy an issue due to this conversation. In fact a few said they would not be renewing (not because of this), which I am not sure I understand either.

Sure people on this forum aren't buying an extra issue, but the increased publicity they received, the increase in website hits, and the increase in sales from casual golf fans who only watch when Tiger Woods plays will probably pick this issue up if they don't already.

I think that is selling the entire tour a bit short. They were worthy enough to cover clearly as they have had stories and numerous on the players, tour, etc.

I see your point. I probably didn't express myself very well. It seems to me GD has a bit of a formula - each year they do previews of each major (4 issues), they've got the Hot List (5th issue), the Fitness (AKA T&A) Issue (6), like 1 outside the box non-golfer person such as Bill Clinton or Jack Nicholson (7 issues) and the 5 other issues tend to have a theme of game improvement (Hit it further! Find more fairways! Make more putts!) with a major winner, DJ, Fowler, Tiger or a famous instructor on the cover. Now maybe that formula needs to be updated. But given the formula, I don't know that much has happened on the LPGA tour to warrant a cover story. I don't mean that to be a bash of the LPGA Tour per se. We are also unlikely to see much of the young guys who are winning a lot this season (Reed, J. Walker, etc.) on the cover either.

I also note that the LPGA plays about 1/3 of their events overseas. It seems contradictory to take your product outside of a market then complain that your aren't getting enough coverage inside said market. BTW, a quick Google search seems to indicate a higher percentage of LPGA players on DG's European and Asian covers.

I see your point. I probably didn't express myself very well. It seems to me GD has a bit of a formula - each year they do previews of each major (4 issues), they've got the Hot List (5th issue), the Fitness (AKA T&A) Issue (6), like 1 outside the box non-golfer person such as Bill Clinton or Jack Nicholson (7 issues) and the 5 other issues tend to have a theme of game improvement (Hit it further! Find more fairways! Make more putts!) with a major winner, DJ, Fowler, Tiger or a famous instructor on the cover. Now maybe that formula needs to be updated. But given the formula, I don't know that much has happened on the LPGA tour to warrant a cover story. I don't mean that to be a bash of the LPGA Tour per se. We are also unlikely to see much of the young guys who are winning a lot this season (Reed, J. Walker, etc.) on the cover either.

I also note that the LPGA plays about 1/3 of their events overseas. It seems contradictory to take your product outside of a market then complain that your aren't getting enough coverage inside said market. BTW, a quick Google search seems to indicate a higher percentage of LPGA players on DG's European and Asian covers.

One player won the first two majors on their tour last year and 3 out of the 1st 4. Seems to me that would warrant a cover.

One player won the first two majors on their tour last year and 3 out of the 1st 4. Seems to me that would warrant a cover.
I agree - I think I started with the caveat 'with the exception of Park'.

The explanation the editor gave for putting Paulina as the cover is pretty pathetic.

Here is the article I saw the explanation: http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central/lewis-paulina-gretzky-gd-cover-frustrating/

I mean come on, who is she going to get interested in the game of golf? She has absolutely nothing to do with golf except the fact that she's dating a PGA Tour star. All this cover/article is going to do is get a couple guys to buy this one issue. They aren't going to say "wow Paulina is really fit and smoking hot, I'm going to go try to play some golf now". Very pathetic explanation.

She more than worthy to be on the cover but i would guess the editors felt that she would not move the needle in the US in Asia that is a diffrent story in the US were are so obsesed with celebrities any thing they can do to get some one new to pick up a issue

I have absolutely no idea why people are getting so bent out of shape. Seriously, if this really annoys you this much you need to get some help.

She's settling and he's reaching is all I have to say...

Are people really getting bent out of shape or perhaps having a healthy debate looking at all sides.

Are people really getting bent out of shape or perhaps having a healthy debate looking at all sides.

Sounds like it to me. When you are posting the same thing in different posts I'd say that qualifies as what I said. Saying she has a butter face and the like is a healthy debate? Petty and jealous more like it.

I have absolutely no idea why people are getting so bent out of shape. Seriously, if this really annoys you this much you need to get some help.

I am one who got bent out of shape. My big issue is that this cover is directly related to a bigger problem. There seems to a preconceived notion that a female professional golfer is only marketable is for her to be attractive.

That is a crock of crap to me.

Instead of putting paula creamer, Susan Petersen, or even Michelle Wie on the cover. And having an article about their fitness regiment. They use Paulina. Sure a pretty girl, but not a golfer. Throw her into some tight pants, a sports bra, and give her a golf club.

It boarders on tabloid for me. Instead of celebrating the female professional golfers, they use Paulina.

Not sure what the stir is all about.... I don't care who they put on the cover, I stopped reading it many years ago. Putting her on the cover won't get me back. I know that sex sells, and in a sport that has a large percentage of male participation seems like a safe bet to get attention. Similar to going to Hooters, cause we all know men only go there for the winds right.

Nothing wrong with having opinions about something.

I think a lot of golf fans would rather have their golf magazine feature actual golfers and not tabloid princesses.

When you share your opinion please share if you are a subscriber. I think that is interesting to this conversation. I am a subscriber and I love that they put hot chicks on the cover. In fact, I can't think of two things I love more than golf and hot chicks. If they keep this up I will get two subscriptions. I understand that some of the LPGA is upset but come on, there are not that many lookers.

Nothing wrong with having opinions about something.

I think a lot of golf fans would rather have their golf magazine feature actual golfers and not tabloid princesses.

And where did I say there was? When you continue to post them, just saying the same thing over and over is my issue. I remember a certain golfer who was the king of the tabloids for a while, it's not as if she has nothing to do with golf whatoever.

Let's keep it civil in here. No reason to get bent out of shape over a thread or a posting...

I suppose I need some help then. I'm allowed to be annoyed by a Golf publication stooping to plastering a woman who isn't even a golfer on the cover. Why Paulina is even discussed in golf circles as much as she is is beyond me.

I suppose I need some help then. I'm allowed to be annoyed by a Golf publication stooping to plastering a woman who isn't even a golfer on the cover. Why Paulina is even discussed in golf circles as much as she is is beyond me.

Who says she isn't a golfer. Do you have to be a pro to be a golfer? I guess i am not a golfer then (and probably 99.9% of the people on here).

Of course you are allowed to be annoyed, doesn't make it rational or logical though.

She's with one of the best players in the game and she shouldn't be discussed in golf circles?

When you share your opinion please share if you are a subscriber. I think that is interesting to this conversation. I am a subscriber and I love that they put hot chicks on the cover. In fact, I can't think of two things I love more than golf and hot chicks. If they keep this up I will get two subscriptions. I understand that some of the LPGA is upset but come on, there are not that many lookers.

I think its fair to say we can all agree with this quote.

I think its fair to say we can all agree with this quote.

I dont think everybody would agree with that. Nothing wrong with your opinion, but not everybody wants "hot chicks" on their golf covers. Some dont care one way or the other. Others perhaps think that the LPGA has attractive women. Others still might describe Gretzky as a "hot chick". Some find it even more odd that she has her dad's # tattooed near her crotch. Lots of things are just opinions and not everybody is going to agree with them.

Back