Cobra Baffler XL Irons - THP Preview

Oh & with Dicks trade in program my cost out of pocket was $57 after taxes

Good info bulldog.

Awesome bulldog! Brought a smile to my face reading this.

I have a 7i on the way which I will throw a CTL in, I'm excited to get this on the range/course.

Of course this was on a mat but turf interaction was good. I could tell the difference between it & the others. The design does get the ball up.

Awesome bulldog! Brought a smile to my face reading this.

I have a 7i on the way which I will throw a CTL in, I'm excited to get this on the range/course.

I'm curious how those play against the Altitudes. There's not a lot out there on the Bafflers, but what is out there shows that they really perform.

My only real concern with the Bafflers would be the lofts. They are really, really strong.

My only real concern with the Bafflers would be the lofts. They are really, really strong.
On the trakman monitor they played close to the Bio, Bio+ & Speedblades 7 irons. The weight is really in the bottom to help it up

I'm curious how those play against the Altitudes. There's not a lot out there on the Bafflers, but what is out there shows that they really perform.

I compared the lofts of the 7i's in each set and Baffler was only .5* stronger (30.5 to 31.0 IIRC). I'm not expecting any distance changes TBH.

It's been a while since I looked at the specs, but the lofts get stronger though as you move northbound in the set. Maybe the 7 iron isn't as good of a comparison. I wouldn't expect differences in distance at the 7 either.

What I'm asking about though are also things like ease of use, different lies, sound and feel, integration between the hybrids and irons in the Bafflers, etc. It's really more about the whole experience. I see them as being sets aimed primarily at the same target market, yet also quite different.

It's been a while since I looked at the specs, but the lofts get stronger though as you move northbound in the set. Maybe the 7 iron isn't as good of a comparison. I wouldn't expect differences in distance at the 7 either.

What I'm asking about though are also things like ease of use, different lies, sound and feel, integration between the hybrids and irons in the Bafflers, etc. It's really more about the whole experience. I see them as being sets aimed primarily at the same target market, yet also quite different.

I just did a comparison and the lofts are identical in all clubs except 7,8,PW, and GW where the Bafflers are .5* stronger. So I really don't expect distance changes for me.

I hear you on the whole experience though. I'm not a feel or sound guy but I will be able to compare how they get through turf, dead pan, rough, etc. forgiveness is important to me so that'll be high on comparison cause we know the altitudes excel there.

I really want to hit these, I'm always curious.

My test subject has arrived!

Nice pound cookie. Looking forward to your thoughts. I think I am pretty much set on Bio Cells but I promised myself I would hit these before making that decision.

#Cookie,
Dont kill me for asking this. But if you are currently going through altering the swing, do you think testing irons would be the right thing to do instead of finishing that aspect and then tinkering? I dont mean it from a "it could screw you up stand point", but from an accurate depiction of what the irons will do once change is complete.

JB: fair question and honestly not something I had thought about. My plan was to pull the CTL from my 7i Altitude and put it in this. It should play about the same yardage wise and my goal was to see that I liked the turf interaction, forgiveness, etc in an attempt to ease my mind regarding MC selections.

I figured that as long as I don't see a glaring issue then I would be happy to proceed with these in mind as my gamers.

I know I need to keep an open mind about the swing change (especially if these just don't feel good immediately) but I honestly thought they would play somewhat similar to the Altitudes.

Definitely open to any feedback or suggestions regarding this.

I also have the Bio Cell 6 iron head that I could eventually reshaft for testing purposes if needed.

Im no expert in it, so I am the wrong person to ask. I would think (in my feeble mind), that if I am making changes to the way I hit the ball, I would want to do so with the same clubs over and over and then based on the final outcome, decide what irons to go with from there. But truly just me thinking out loud and it may be nothing at all.

No, it's solid thoughts for sure and I appreciate the feedback.

What would everyone else do? May need to take this to another thread, don't want to detract from Cobra here.

No, it's solid thoughts for sure and I appreciate the feedback.

What would everyone else do? May need to take this to another thread, don't want to detract from Cobra here.

Im sticking with my current clubs for the exact reasons JB stated...but you know this already!

My $.02 on the topic, since I'm in the same boat. I've got a set of irons (JPX-825 Pro) that are too much club for me. I'm really thinking about moving to something more forgiving, even as I'm looking at making swing improvements. My rationale is that even after I improve I'm unlikely to drop from a 25 handicap to a 9 handicap, so a GI iron still will likely give me more enjoyment. However, if I was making changes and was thinking about moving from GI to GI, I would take pause. I at least understand my hits and misses with the previous sets. The last thing I want to do is induce doubt into a process already filled with it (making swing improvements).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Got a notice 1st thing this morning from UPS that my clubs will be here tomorrow :)

Got a notice 1st thing this morning from UPS that my clubs will be here tomorrow :)

Nice, looking forward to your thoughts!

Ran into an issue shafting my 7i but should have it ready to try on Thursday.

Yeah I seen that. Hope it goes smoothly from now on. Sat. will be 1st chance I get to try em out.

Cookie: It seems like you'd have the 7 Baffler and still have the 6 and 8 in Altitude, correct? As you mention, the monitors should give you the distance. The rest should be able to be compared.

This comes back to more of an "age old" question about the quality of swinger that can do a review. Your swing being changed, is probably not that much different than a higher handicap player. Their swings change constantly.

I personally would love to see you rock the XLs in the MC.

Cookie: It seems like you'd have the 7 Baffler and still have the 6 and 8 in Altitude, correct? As you mention, the monitors should give you the distance. The rest should be able to be compared.

This comes back to more of an "age old" question about the quality of swinger that can do a review. Your swing being changed, is probably not that much different than a higher handicap player. Their swings change constantly.

I personally would love to see you rock the XLs in the MC.

I'm actually keeping the Altitude 7 in tact and will have the Baffler XL 7i in addition to it for better comparison purposes.

Barring something unexpected, XL's will be in the bag. I like forgiveness....

Back