Malaysia Airlines plane goes missing

It's a 15 year old aircraft.

The Langkawi airport with it's 13,000 foot runway was closer than VietNam.

There have been cockpit fires in the 777 in the past, as well a wheel well fire where a hot nose wheel caught fire at takeoff.

Though it's clearly a modern aircraft, it's still a machine and all machines can fail.

The alternatives all require either hijackers taking over the plane and subduing all 227 passengers, or the pilots going rogue. Both are extremely unlikely.
It is incredibly rare for planes to go missing / crash, so all we are left with is the extremely unlikely.

I'm trying to distinguish known facts from supposition and rumor. I believe these are accurate statements of fact:
* The transponder and other device were manually turned off, several minutes apart.
* The course change was programmed into the computer.
* The plane changed altitude (33K > 45K > 25K).
* No distress signals or calls were sent over any frequency.
* The plane had 8 hours of fuel and was last heard from @7.5 hours after takeoff.
* It either went on that north or south arc

Has it been confirmed the plane routed to three way points after making the left turn?

It is incredibly rare for planes to go missing / crash, so all we are left with is the extremely unlikely.

I'm trying to distinguish known facts from supposition and rumor. I believe these are accurate statements of fact:
* The transponder and other device were manually turned off, several minutes apart.
* The course change was programmed into the computer.
* The plane changed altitude (33K > 45K > 25K).
* No distress signals or calls were sent over any frequency.
* The plane had 8 hours of fuel and was last heard from @7.5 hours after takeoff.
* It either went on that north or south arc

Has it been confirmed the plane routed to three way points after making the left turn?

Unfortunately some of these facts include supposition.

The transponder and other devices failed to operate several minutes apart. There is no proof they were manually turned off. The "experts" simply say that in a catastrophic event, they would all shut off at the same time. Supposition, not fact.

The course could have been manually flown by a high hour (18,000+) pilot. It did not need to be pre-programmed into the computer.

The altitude changes were measured by military radar at the edge of their effective range and could have been off by as much as 20%.

The other three are accurate.

The three waypoints after the turn are not confirmed.

Did they actually confirm it was the voice of one of the two pilots that said "all right good night"? Very odd reading the transcript he didn't confirm the new radio frequency back to atc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very odd reading the transcript he didn't confirm the new radio frequency back to atc.

It's not correct procedure, but it certainly isn't odd.

New reports say the satellite company can confirm the plane went down over the S. Indian Ocean.

We can eliminate the north route and plane being hidden for future terrorist attack theories.

The families get some measure of closure, though we still don't know the cause.

They need to find that thing before the black boxes reach their useful lives in saltwater and at depth. At least there can be a bit of closure at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New reports say the satellite company can confirm the plane went down over the S. Indian Ocean.

We can eliminate the north route and plane being hidden for future terrorist attack theories.

The families get some measure of closure, though we still don't know the cause.

Yes, it's sounding like something went very wrong with the plane and less likely it was a terrorist act.

I hope for all the families involved this is true and they can begin the healing process.

The Indian Ocean averages 13,000 feet deep. The black box ping has less than 2 weeks of power remaining. The super sensitive hydrophone can hear to 20,000 feet, but it's going to have to practically drive right over the top of the plane - within a mile or two - in a huge ocean search area.

Very unlikely they will locate the black box before it's power fails.

This means deep water, side scan sonar searching the sea bed for a large plane body, then sending an ROV down to confirm wreckage.

Could take a very long time. Malaysia doesn't have the resources for this, so it's likely going to be pushed to the Chinese...

Lithium batteries are carried on hundreds of flights a week, packaged in accordance with international packaging and safety standards. Yes it could have been a fire caused by the batteries, but nothing will be confirmed until we find the wreckage.

They have provided absolutely no proof that the plane went down, I'm not trying to dampen an already horrible situation but this is ridiculous, Two weeks have passed and most of these families have just words and no proof for closure. You'd thing the world would be doing a better job of monitoring it's flights after Sept 11th.

Something has to be found! There is way too much on a plane like that not to be found including people.

Malaysia Airlines plane goes missing

The ping data analysis shows the plane deep in the Southern Indian Ocean at 8:11am, with virtually no fuel left.

No place to go but down.

It's 13,000-22,000 feet deep there.

They may never find anything.

Oh please let the ping they found be the missing plane .. I pray this is it .. For all the families sake

Oh please let the ping they found be the missing plane .. I pray this is it .. For all the families sake
If the ping's had been identified by a country other than China, I'd have a glimmer of hope. As it were ...

And what does this mean ? Come on man
It means just what you think it does. Do I hope what they claim to have found is legit? Yes. Would I feel more confident if this had been reported by US or AUS search vessels? Yes.

It means just what you think it does. Do I hope what they claim to have found is legit? Yes. Would I feel more confident if this had been reported by US or AUS search vessels? Yes.

I can't say I disagree with you. I thought the exact same thing.

If ping is true...that would be the end of hope IMO....

Australia just said that the pings China found are consistent with that of a black box.

Back