Distance changes? KBS Wedge > DG Spiiner or KBS Hi Rev?

gingerista

Lady Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
^
I'm currently using KBS wedge shafts in my wedges, and I'm consistent with my yardages on 3/4 and 1/2 swing shots. I rarely do full swings with my GW/SW/LW. I'd like more spin and have ordered new wedge heads. It seems pretty certain that I'll get more spin from either new shaft, but am concerned about throwing off my yardages.

I'm leaning toward the DG Spinners in regular for my 56º and the Spinner + for my 50º. My concern is that the Spinners may add more distance, and upset my current gaps with regards to my PW and on. A little less yardage, I can adjust to. Is it a logical reason to think the KBS Hi Rev might be a better match for maintaining the distances of my KBS Wedge shafts or are the Hi Revs and Spinners pretty close as far as what distance I may get? The KBS site lists both the Wedge and Hi Rev as being mid launch so that doesn't seem to effect the equation.

Thanks for any thoughts.

In my experience you tend to LOSE a little distance with the DG spinners.....more spin means higher shots and less distance.....I havent played the Hi Revs

From what I've been reading, the Spinners and Hi Rev are supposed to promote a lower launch angle while providing more spin.

I switched to the HI-Revs and I felt I gained some distance with them. I had a lot more spin on the ball as well but it's just a small adjustment to get back to your normal yardages. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

GregDan, may I ask what shafts you had in your wedges before switching?

Thanks

I've had just about every wedge shaft. DG spinners, regular KBS tours, standard wedge flex shafts from a lot of other companies and I have found that the HI-Revs give me the best feel and the most spin.

While none of them are bad and I get good results no matter the shaft in the wedge I just prefer the feel of the Hi-Revs and seem to get a little more spin out of them.

I love my KBS Hi-Rev shaft in my 58* not typically a full swing club for me but, I can get it 100 yds on a full swing. About the same distance as my old 56 degree, I had true tempers in them not sure what specific shaft though.

I went from Hi-Revs to DG Spinner shafts this week and I can tell you distances are very similar so it won't upset your gapping much. And yes, do get the wedge+ in the 50 if you are a fairly fast swinger.

Thanks for the input. I'm going to try them both and it's only $70 loss to get it right.

I love my KBS Hi-Rev shaft in my 58* not typically a full swing club for me but, I can get it 100 yds on a full swing. About the same distance as my old 56 degree, I had true tempers in them not sure what specific shaft though.

As someone that could use some help with are spin I may have to give these a try.

Remember, the Spinners and Hi-Revs will flatten your wedge ball flight as well, something some don't keep in mind when making the move to these.

As someone that could use some help with are spin I may have to give these a try.

I've seen great spin out of the bunker and my balls have checked really well with my 58

Remember, the Spinners and Hi-Revs will flatten your wedge ball flight as well, something some don't keep in mind when making the move to these.

I have KBS Tours in my 50 and 54, the hi rev produces a bit higher ball flight than the other two and it isn't significantly different from my old wedges.

Using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input. I'm going to try them both and it's only $70 loss to get it right.

Everyone's different, so trying is good. I went though similar process last year. Differences were small and seemed mostly about feel than result. This read was interesting. http://www.oobgolf.com/content/the+...ecrets_to_Choosing_The_Right_Wedge_Shaft.html

Have fun experimenting. Great to see you fairly new, but enjoying it so much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've seen great spin out of the bunker and my balls have checked really well with my 58

I have KBS Tours in my 50 and 54, the hi rev produces a bit higher ball flight than the other two and it isn't significantly different from my old wedges.

Using Tapatalk

A lot of that will be natively having a higher launching club, one of the main design things with these wedges shafts is to flatten the flight to prevent ballooning in the irons that most have the largest tendency to see it in. The Hi-Rev's are a mid trajectory shaft and the DG Spinners are actually considered by TT to be a low trajectory shaft for this purpose. Again, most will still see what they consider a high ball flight, but not as high as a standard iron shaft (in most cases, we aren't talking X1's etc) will be, preventing ballooning and optimizing spin into greens.

Back