The Putter Refinishing Thread

My project is coming along; I picked up a hobby file kit to help smooth out dings and gouges and that has been helpful. Sanded all the way to 2000 grit which left the head with a really cool mirror like finish. Noticed some dings I missed so I went back to the file, 60, 100 and 220 grit sandpaper to clean it up some more. I will probably drop it off soon to get cut down to play at 35" and put on a new grip. I haven't decided how I'm going to finish it yet. I do know I want to finish removing the paint fill for some updating, and boy is the sole challenging. Acetone doesn't quite soften enough, and it is hard to get it out of the Made in the USA and FGP stamps. I'll be looking into some alternatives to assist. I'll add some updated pictures soon.

Looking forward to the pics. How are the hands holding up? That's tough work.

Looking forward to the pics. How are the hands holding up? That's tough work.

Hands are holding up alright; they've seen worse from boat maintenance. I used a hand sander briefly with finer grits too which adds some time savings as long as I'm careful

Found this at my parents house, its was pretty rusted. i hit a ball with it and was surprised at how nice it felt and puts a lovely roll on the ball.
This is the 1st time ive done a putter so im just going to try some different things on it.

6661250_orig.jpg
3927995_orig.jpg

Attachments

• putter1.jpg
    putter1.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 2
  • putter.jpg
    putter.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 2
Found this at my parents house, its was pretty rusted. i hit a ball with it and was surprised at how nice it felt and puts a lovely roll on the ball.
This is the 1st time ive done a putter so im just going to try some different things on it.

6661250_orig.jpg
3927995_orig.jpg

Looks good, but you picked a tough one as all the old Wilson putters are plated.

3927995_orig.jpg

That looks really good matt!! What process did you run through to get to this point?

I was finally able to strip the old paint fill on my project FGP; I'll get some pictures up tonight. I have it playing at 35" with an SS5.0 on it now. Fun project so far.

i 1st removed the head from the shaft.
left it in coke overnight.
filed, sanded and deburring with different grits and grade. to a high polish finish.
then torched it until it turned that colour.
oil quenched it.

hardest part was getting the plating off.

Just did a paint fill on my Newport Button Back. Tried to get as close to the "Tiffany Blue" as I could. Looks pretty close to me? Also added a fake site dot with white paint because I didn't dare drill one lol.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Just did a paint fill on my Newport Button Back. Tried to get as close to the "Tiffany Blue" as I could. Looks pretty close to me? Also added a fake site dot with white paint because I didn't dare drill one lol.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

That thing is sexy!

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk

9eguqa2u.jpg
bought this spalding TPM to refinish. Almost have removed all dings. Does anyone know if I torch it, does it make it impossible to paint fill?

Here is after the first round of sanding and using a dremel to remove the dings
6uvy3e7e.jpg
umy2yru4.jpg
me6yde9a.jpg

Im not a Scotty homer by any means but I have always had a soft spot for the Button Back models.

I'm working up the courage to start refinishing my M3.

funny story - I came to this thread looking for tips on how to refinish this very M3 :D. I'm glad you decided to let me have a chance at refinishing it. It will be my first refinishing project club of any type!

I'm thinking about trying to add a "milled" face by using a light circular stamp, once I have it all stripped and smoothed and colored. Anyone ever tried something like that?

abusuqeg.jpg

Ready for the torch, wish me luck

9y5atymu.jpg
e7avureb.jpg

Just got done with the torch, can't wait to paint fill and finish this guy up

I was finally able to strip the old paint fill on my project FGP; I'll get some pictures up tonight. I have it playing at 35" with an SS5.0 on it now. Fun project so far.

Rick, any pictures documenting your progress? I have an FGP that I am going to either sell or customize ... would like to see what you have done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rick, any pictures documenting your progress? I have an FGP that I am going to either sell or customize ... would like to see what you have done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I plan on paintfilling and getting pic's up this week; I've been pretty busy recently but I want to get it out on the course.

I plan on paintfilling and getting pic's up this week; I've been pretty busy recently but I want to get it out on the course.

If you can throw up a before pic too, I would appreciate it. Would allow me to judge just how much effort I need to throw into my own FGP. Thanks!

4u4y5ame.jpg
7e6e7yvy.jpg
zuryty2a.jpg
ezy8aju8.jpg

Finished product

I'm stripping the platinum finish to bring it down to bare stainless steel for now, and may blacken it with Caswell's stainless steel blackener gel.

I've been able to get most of it off with 60 & 100 grit sandpaper so far. I plan on continuing to sand everything by hand (except the face) with 220, 400, 600, 1200 grit paper. I may give a quick block polish to the face with 1200 because it's nicked up a bit.

I will need to re-shaft as well (thinking vibrant flat black) and throw a super stroke 3.0 on it. It's probably going to take a couple of weeks but I've got snow to melt and time to kill. Here's how it looks today:
ary8y8yb.jpg
aqyta2y5.jpg
rugahy9u.jpg

So I never could decide how to finish this, but I did put on a SS Fatso 5.0 grip and finished paint filling it last night. Took it out for a round today and had some nice putts.

photo4_zps3f34c962.jpg

photo2_zpsd1c70497.jpg

photo1_zps3e47dd33.jpg

photo3_zps6bbe2c6a.jpg

Paintfill looks great dude. Awesome work.

I just bought an older Scotty. The only nicks I really want to get rid of are the ones on the topline. I am completely new to any type of refinishing. Any type of basic tips you guys could give me would be much appreciated.

y3a9e6yn.jpg
yvydyqa3.jpg

Back