Cobra Bio Cell Driver Review Thread

I'll post more details later, but the main outcome was that the most consistent club was the Nike Covert - the Bio cell was more inconsistent for me, but the X2 hot was more consistent than the BC and only marginally less than the Covert, but was consistently longer with a more consistent launch than the others, only by about 5 to 6 yards though.
I'd be tempted with the Nike, but I think I can get a great consistent set of results with Callaway. No matter how hard I tried, the BC didnt do as well for me. It looks sooooooo good esp when you put it down by the ball (really like the Nike too), and the x2 hot is pretty underwhelming to look at imho.
I only manage about 225 carry so any help there I can get is useful.
Im thinking about picking one up tomorrow
Looking forward to hearing what you decide to do...

This is what I found out also but to be fair I did not tinker with any settings on the Drivers as I'm still in ponder mode but the Nike Rep had me setup with 8.5 Covert at Neutral setting and I was crushing the ball about 260-265 and few went 280+ which is a rarity for me distance wise, my miss is on the toe and the Covert was still going 250+ with a fade, and I had similiar results with X2 Hot but the toe miss was a little more penial, The Bio Cell look good and felt good and I really need to play with the settings to see if I can get it dialed in as I'm going to GG this weekend for a new slim SS putter grip and will spend most of my time with Bio Cell and the SLDR and then I think I will be down to my top 2 drivers and then ponder some more and pull the trigger. My swing speed is around 95-105.

Last edited:
This is what I found out also but to be fair I did not tinker with any settings on the Drivers as I'm still in ponder mode but the Nike Rep had me setup with 8.5 Covert at Neutral setting and I was crushing the ball about 260-265 and few went 280+ which is a rarity for me distance wise, my miss is on the toe and the Covert was still going 250+ with a fade, and I had similiar results with X2 Hot but the toe miss was a little more penial, The Bio Cell look good and felt good and I really need to play with the settings to see if I can get it dialed in as I'm going to GG this weekend for a new slim SS putter grip and will spend most of my time with Bio Cell and the SLDR and then I think I will be down to my top 2 drivers and then ponder some more and pull the trigger. My swing speed is around 95-105.

Thanks - would like to hear more when you have made more decisions...

I hit the ZL against a BC and although the ZL has a longer shaft and was set at a lower loft the BC for me was LONGER and more consistent.....give it a go I defy you not to be seriously tempted.......

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Has anyone compared the ZL Encore to the Bio Cell?

The ZL is going to be more similar in a lot of characteristics to the Bio+, lower spin, composite materials. Phenomenal heads both the Bio and Bio+ this year though, go hit them if you can.

Also, WELCOME to THP!

Demo'd this one today...Wow is this an underrated club. I was swinging in driving shoes and had no glove plus inside (aka not full swings lol) Here were the numbers:

97 Mph Clubhead
136 Ball Speed (seemed low/wrong)
1250 backspin
220L side spin
9.8* launch (too low)

Those are crazy nice and I know I can get launch up outdoors. I hit the 9.5* Bio Cell + with the X-Flex Red Tie 6Q3. This is on the ponder list bigtime.

Demo'd this one today...Wow is this an underrated club. I was swinging in driving shoes and had no glove plus inside (aka not full swings lol) Here were the numbers:

97 Mph Clubhead
136 Ball Speed (seemed low/wrong)
1250 backspin
220L side spin
9.8* launch (too low)

Those are crazy nice and I know I can get launch up outdoors. I hit the 9.5* Bio Cell + with the X-Flex Red Tie 6Q3. This is on the ponder list bigtime.

Sounds like you would get some great numbers with full golf gear on.. Let us know how you get on

Has anyone done the homework and figured out how a LH adapter would work for a RH golfer? I'm wondering if there's a way to get the club to 11-12* and have a slightly open face as opposed to closed. Is it possible?

Has anyone done the homework and figured out how a LH adapter would work for a RH golfer? I'm wondering if there's a way to get the club to 11-12* and have a slightly open face as opposed to closed. Is it possible?

I would shoot Cobra an email as I'm not entirely sure myself.

Got to try out my bio cell limited masters edition for the first time on the course yesterday. The combination of the giant, hot, deep face with the aldila tour green shaft is a match made in heaven for me.

posted this on that "other" golf forum, but will copy/paste here as well:

well just a small biocell update for those of you on the fence. I have a normal biocell, and chose it with the stock PXv shaft stiff because it fits my swing well
I bought it in red about a month ago, hit it well at the store (for not having played since last year)
I have played 4 rounds with it so far and here are my observations:

The first and 2nd round I played my ss was down, I was rusty and thought I had made a horrible mistake dumping my amp cell for the bio cell.. drives were not as far as I was hitting with the amp cell, accuracy was suffering, and all in all just was not as enthused with the club as I was when I bought it.
I even considered benching it for awhile to put the amp cell back in the bag.

well after 2 more rounds and a few practice sessions, the bio cell is here to stay!
my swing speed is creeping back up, hitting accuracy is improving, basically I'm getting back into the flow of golf now that the weather is cooperating, and the bio cell has been FANTASTIC.
I'm normally about a 240-250 hitter, wtih the occasional poke to 270-280.

These last 2 rounds have seen my FIR almost double vs. the first two (plus some range time inbetwen with the BC)
I have hit drives gps verified this weekend of 274, 302, 299, 281 and 277, plus several forgettable mis-hits that got me around 220-230.
that is HUGE for me, as I will normally have one or two "long" drives a round, (270ish) but I was putting the ball alot further down the fairway than normal for this time of year.
probably the worst shot I hit this weekend was WAY out on the toe, I could feel the club want to twist at impact but it didn't (shameless plug for the ace 3gen, wonderful grip that is inexpensive) and that drive STILL found the fairway at a respectable 225 yards.
I showed my buddy the ball mark on the face and he was amazed it was on the fairway without as far on the toe as I hit it.

Forgiveness with the club has been outstanding, as well as distance on well struck shots and mis-hits as well. I normally fight a fade that sometimes fades just a little too much, killing distance. Not a fade, but not a bananna ball either.
All in all I'm thrilled with the club and I think I can get even more out of it as I get more rounds under my belt and my ss keeps going up to my mid-summer form.

You guys owe it to yourselves to at least give it a try, I'm really really liking this driver so far this year

** eta this was on the 10.5* setting (played my amp cell last year at 9.5*)
using a 2011 srixon xv tour yellow

I'm loving the Rave Reviews that this and the + is getting. I really need to hit these. If a trade in deal pops up, I will pull the trigger on this or the + depending on how I hit both.

Amphibians can Tapatalk... Fear the Frog!

I'm loving the Rave Reviews that this and the + is getting. I really need to hit these. If a trade in deal pops up, I will pull the trigger on this or the + depending on how I hit both.

Amphibians can Tapatalk... Fear the Frog!

Do it Buddy ......you know you want to hit these.....Roll on Saturday and my fitting with a Cobra rep

how is that these are out there so cheap for brand new. If i have a driver swing of 97-98 start of season that gets up to 104-106 after a few months, should i try out the Stiff, or X-Stiff

@Golfdawg

Speaking from my limited knowledge I can say two things , this years shaft offering is much "better" with its swing rating R/S/XS etc , I am on the cusp of R/S with a swing speed of 95/96mph and would have definitely gone for a S shaft in last years offering , but seem to be good with either . I have a fitting with a Cobra rep on Saturday and will ask if that assists ?
Ultimately though its going to best to invest the time to hit both shafts ...enjoy

@Golfdawg

Speaking from my limited knowledge I can say two things , this years shaft offering is much "better" with its swing rating R/S/XS etc , I am on the cusp of R/S with a swing speed of 95/96mph and would have definitely gone for a S shaft in last years offering , but seem to be good with either . I have a fitting with a Cobra rep on Saturday and will ask if that assists ?
Ultimately though its going to best to invest the time to hit both shafts ...enjoy

In most stock offerings I play a stiff flex shaft. That being said, my BiO Cell driver is a Regular flex. One of the best stock shafts that I have played.

There was some debate awhile back about the stock PXv being a "made for" shaft like most of the TM ones.
Cobra's reps say it's a real deal PXv, and imo it's a fantastic shaft. compared to last year's fuji fuel there is light years of difference.. the PXv is so smooth and responsive feeling.. I don't know how else to explain it but it just feels right.
Cobra did a great job picking that shaft for the stock offering.

@Golfdawg

In most stock offerings I play a stiff flex shaft. That being said, my BiO Cell driver is a Regular flex. One of the best stock shafts that I have played.

There was some debate awhile back about the stock PXv being a "made for" shaft like most of the TM ones.
Cobra's reps say it's a real deal PXv, and imo it's a fantastic shaft. compared to last year's fuji fuel there is light years of difference.. the PXv is so smooth and responsive feeling.. I don't know how else to explain it but it just feels right.

thanks across the board, exactly the kind of answers i needed.

Ranger : just share whatever you learn from the Cobra Rep. always love to learn as much as i can.

It is a proprietary shaft (designed for), got this straight from the R&D guys when THP was out at Cobra.

That said, its a really really good shaft.

It is a proprietary shaft (designed for), got this straight from the R&D guys when THP was out at Cobra.

Someone should let the Cobra Reps know.

Regardless, I LOVE this shaft in my 5 wood!

Someone should let the Cobra Reps know.

Regardless, I LOVE this shaft in my 5 wood!

Just telling you what I was told at Cobra hq.

My post game across wrong, I wasn't trying to be a smartass.

I appreciate the inside info you provide on almost every club James!

Hmm according to this dude Ron Eskierka from cobra he says its an OEM shaft not a "designed for" type.
Not trying to be an ass, but cobra is saying 2 diff things it seems like. Skip to 1:45 in the video

Cobra Bio Cell Driver Review Thread

Hmm according to this dude Ron Eskierka from cobra he says its an OEM shaft not a "designed for" type.
Not trying to be an ass, but cobra is saying 2 diff things it seems like. Skip to 1:45 in the video

Just going by what I was told when sitting at the table with the directors of R&D and product marketing for Cobra Puma.

Looking at my notes again it was said the PXv was proprietary and performs incredibly well with the head including when Rickie got to test the Bio the first time. The Red-Tie and all other offerings for the Bio+ are aftermarket shafts and not proprietary.

In the end who cares, if you hit it well. I hit it phenomenally in an R flex when my SS is well beyond what's considered R territory (which is bunk but I digress). It's a way better designed shaft than last years fuel proprietary was for the cell, zero doubt in that. Damn good setup as stock for a lot of golfers.

Back