Voice Caddie Swing Caddie SC100 Review

I suppose any electronic device can glitch once in a while. I'll probably end up with one of these this year. Really like having numbers.

It was a topped ball, so yeah errors can happen.

Hell I have had a 0 launch reading with a driver on the G2C monitor at a THP event.

Will this be as accurate as a 3,000 dollar launch monitor? No. Is it damn accurate for what it is as a 2-whatever hundred dollar device? Absolutely. If I didn't have one from the review, I would buy one in a heartbeat. I mean that.

It was a topped ball, so yeah errors can happen.

Hell I have had a 0 launch reading with a driver on the G2C monitor at a THP event.

Will this be as accurate as a 3,000 dollar launch monitor? No. Is it damn accurate for what it is as a 2-whatever hundred dollar device? Absolutely. If I didn't have one from the review, I would buy one in a heartbeat. I mean that.

Sounds good to me. Seems like it might be the next best thing to having your own lm.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Thanks THP, I am now $225 poorer.

I need to stop coming in this thread.

Reading this thread made me buy one!

It's worth the money. I haven't stopped using mine since the release date.

I bet it is, hopefully I can get on Saturday, so I can put it to use with the Houston guys at our outing on Sunday. Guess my Big Bertha Ponder has hit a roadblock.

I have yet to break mine out, hoping that will change on Friday. All my practice sessions have been focused on my Smart Sole clubs and my putter. I don't need ranges on the Smart Soles because I already have them dialed in pretty well. On Friday I plan to take my whole bag out for an hour and give this a whirl then. Plus by then I should have my new 2 hybrid and it's the top side of my bag that I have the least amount of distance data on right now.

On that note, I have no idea where my C wedge would fit in. It's 43 degrees. I can hit it anywhere from a true chip to about 90y out. If they use preconceived notions of what each club is in terms of loft, then I don't see how this fits in there. My S is 58 degrees, I assume I can use the SW spot for that.

It isn't clear to me it is using an assumed angle based on club entered. Seems like too many people with too many different clubs are seeing success for that to be the case. Maybe it's just to retain stats for a particular club.

It isn't clear to me it is using an assumed angle based on club entered. Seems like too many people with too many different clubs are seeing success for that to be the case. Maybe it's just to retain stats for a particular club.

I've seen some flakey things where I had it set to a PW/SW and then pulled out a driver but didn't switch and it just didn't even pull a reading. I've seen the opposite, where I've had it set on a wood and then pulled out a wedge, didn't switch and it didn't pick up. I think it must have some expected range in there.

If it didn't have a range in there, how could it possibly compute distance if it can't figure out the launch angle and spin? Either it can do the launch angle and spin, but just doesn't show it (maybe due to a patent issue), or it has to guess at the launch angle.

There's clearly either tech under the hood that isn't disclosed or shown on the display, or some assumptions being made. A ball moving away at a speed alone cannot predict distance.

No one is saying that it is measuring the distance, the distance is based off of the SS and Ball Speed ratings (which are read via the doppler), combine that with the fact that the club selections are length based (of club) and a baseline of lofts for the clubs. It has never been claimed that the distances are not an from an equation, they are, there are slight discrepancies at times as I discussed in the review but it is extremely minor and impressive for the price of the unit. This is not a full launch monitor, its not 3k+, for what it is the job it does is nothing short of impressive. There will always be some slight issues here and there with tech, thats the nature of technology, particularly new tech.

I'm going to try to do this from my phone, before this spirals out of control.

I hit the range yesterday afternoon, not a particularly nice day, around 50° but overcast, windy, and even raining a bit.

I warmed up (if you can call it that) by hitting about 10-12 wedge shots without setting up the SC100. Then I grabbed my 7 iron and set up the device. Here is the result of my first swing:

E26C8D40-5B68-4C01-9E51-B8C241EEECDC_zpsc735tilk.jpg

This is the EXACT distance I would expect my 7 iron to carry on the golf course. I then grabbed my PW as others expressed some concern at distances they saw with theirs:

7A615D41-A044-4EA7-B54C-CD70DFA5C13C_zpsxy55i9yr.jpg

This is about 10 yards FURTHER than I'd expect my PW to carry on the golf course. Is that a misread in the opposite direction as others? Or simply a ball I flushed with a good swing (90 mph swing speed with a PW seems high)? I don't know. Next up, I grabbed my AW:

8625D4AA-74DD-422A-8388-7448A0D65FCE_zpscjkfzvxo.jpg

91 mph and only 80 yards? Oh, that smash factor, and that I chunked this one. Next swing:

04716992-6E38-45EF-BF5F-8BC606FCEA67_zpsrsnllmnn.jpg

Now this is about 10 yards less than I would expect on the course; however after burying my club in the ground on the previous shot, you can see by my swing speed that I took a more deliberate and controlled swing--and by the smash factor made better, but maybe not great contact.

Lastly, I pulled out the big dog because I'm impatient, and here's what it showed:

76795420-3489-4017-8A06-CBA1F9C0FF1F_zpsscwbyapd.jpg

Then ddec showed up and I proceeded to hit 220 straight grounders (blame ddec). Small sample size? Sure…but after two sessions, the only conclusions that I come up with are that distance is a calculation of swing and ball speed--and that the smash factor calculation is a direct reflection of contact. And for $225, what this thing does and can tell you, is a steal.

One last thing of note, I lasered the yardage markers when I got there with my Z6. We were hitting balls from the extreme back of the tee box--where you are the furthest possible from the signs--and the 100 yard sign was 89 yards away. Talk about delusional, and the fact that these tee boxes can move up as much as 20 yards. Sheesh. That being said, I never used them as comparisons for distance that the SC100 was giving.

More work to be done.

good stuff Pete. I was hoping you would have posted the Vine in here too.

good stuff Pete. I was hoping you would have posted the Vine in here too.
I actually posted it earlier in the thread. That shot, was definitely one instance of a calculation error.

I hope no one has been under the assumption that distance and smash was anything but a calculation, I tried to make that clear in my review that it measures only SS and ball speed with its doppler setup. It does not and could not track a ball for its entire flight, there are WAY too many variables for a 225.00 device there.

Im glad I wasnt the only one to see shorter distances with the higher irons....equally happy that VC is looking into it, the range I go to the balls are hammered. I am playing both days this weekend and will take it out and test it against my game ball to see if that changes the carry distances

I forgot to touch on the quality of balls at the range. Here is an example of these beauties:

34715E6B-B0CA-4FB0-A636-FD02B5A92A52_zpsn5zopmo2.jpg

What is that...? Now they all weren't that bad, but a bunch of them were.

Voice Caddie Swing Caddie SC100 Review

I'm confused. The other manufacturer is dismissed because it uses calculations yet this one does too. The other product has to measure something to perform calculations.

I'm confused. The other manufacturer is dismissed because it uses calculations yet this one does too. The other product has to measure something to perform calculations.

The other manufacturer uses calculations on SPIN, that is where the issue is, it says it provides spin but it doesn't really measure it. It still generates distances just like this one, via equation. It also uses doppler, just like this one, to actually measure the ball speed and SS, that was never questioned. People don't see the point in an esitmated spin when its double the price and won't be completely accurate, spin is a dangerous thing to estimate IMO as golfers already overthink it, throw in a number with variables and it is no bueno.

This was never claimed to measure the distances, as stated from the start it measures the SS and ball speed via doppler and then displays distances and smash from those numbers, with impressive accuracy, much easier than estimating spin.

Took the SC100 out today and it performed admirably. It registered all the 7 and 8 irons I threw at it, as well as some half swing GW's.

Okay so had my first official range session with this today. Finally had it set up properly and it was catching everyball.
Now after reading the reviews I new that the distances would not be spot on. Hittkng out of a backyard grass teebox ( hard to even call it a teebox) into some facing wind ( I know it doest take wind into consideration, but when its 20mph into yiur face I imagine it slows the ball a little) and using range balls that I know dont go full distances...

However, all that being said this devicebis worth its weight in gold. Whether there is a little fairy in their calculating or it calculates using the time space continuum its just great.

I would say my yardages were about ten yards off on full swings and about 5 to 6 on pitches from 50 -100 yards.

The practice mode is just great. Having something to shoot for is a real plus in my book.

Being able to work with all my wedges to hit the same yardage was another great aspect. Hitting a 40yrd lob, mid height sw and a pitching wedged that was a bump in run to the same place will help on varies types of shortgame.

Finding out my swing speed on varies clubs was also handy. I actually swing a tinge bit faster than I thought I did.

Im very impressed with this device and look foward to the next range session..

Back