Any final words of wisdom?

robmypro

Reaction score
Well tomorrow is the day I hit the course. As most of you know, it has been a while. Any final words of wisdom, besides "have fun" and "enjoy your time on the course," which I fully plan on doing!

Here is what I have so far...

1. No hero shots - If I get in the trees, pitch/chip out to the fairway - every time.

2. If it takes a perfect shot to get over the water, layup or find an alternate route.

3. Rake the sand, and repair any ball marks and divots (watch that video on THP again to make sure I do it right).

4. Use LOTS of sunscreen. Bring the cap.

5. Don't try to kill it.

6. Don't over think it. Just swing.

7. Bring rain gear/umbrella and layer up - it is Colorado

8. Know where the course shelters are - in case of lightning.

9. Bring LOTS of balls and tees.

10. Charge the phone - using GolfShot app

11. Bring snacks and lots of water - don't forget the cooler

12. Watch that THP video again on how to tend to the flag.

What else am I missing guys?

Something about that list gives me a little chuckle. Boy do we make things harder than they need to be. As my son says, "smash it on the green and putt it in the hole."

Something about that list gives me a little chuckle. Boy do we make things harder than they need to be. As my son says, "smash it on the green and putt it in the hole."

Your son is awesome!!!

Good luck Rob. You will be just fine buddy

Your boy has it right! That was a great video Hawk!

Is this your first time ever playing?

If it is, then your list about covers it. If it's not, then my only words of wisdom would be- Try and minimize your bad shots :act-up:

6. Don't over think it. Just swing.

This would be my #1 and it also ties into pace of play and keeping things moving. Walk up to the ball, pick a club, trust the club, practice swing, deep breath. Fire away!!

1a. Have Fun!!!

Is this your first time ever playing?

If it is, then your list about covers it. If it's not, then my only words of wisdom would be- Try and minimize your bad shots :act-up:

The last time I played 18 holes Reagan was in office. And it wasn't pretty then.

Any final words of wisdom?

Put the no.8 first on the list. The rest is trivial. :)

Play to your strengths meaning don't try the hero shots. They are hard enough for the skilled golfer to pull off on a consistent basis.

Put the no.8 first on the list. The rest is trivial. :)

Thanks Castor. The sun is pretty intense here, so #4 is pretty important too. But number 8 is critical, because the weather changes fast here. As an example, one day we had sunshine, snow, hail and a thunderstorm - and that was before 4pm. You just never know.

Sorry :D

I meant number 6!!! :)

When I was living in rural England, I had a 75-year old playing partner once who had no patience for science, research and micro-management of the swing. He told me one thing that has been reproduced in every round I've played since:

"Just give it a lash my son."

Don't take it too seriously!

When I was living in rural England, I had a 75-year old playing partner once who had no patience for science, research and micro-management of the swing. He told me one thing that has been reproduced in every round I've played since:

"Just give it a lash my son."

Don't take it too seriously!

LOL nice!

Breathe that's it, breathe and relax. Make a nice deliberate full turn back, then swing at that crappy little ball like it stole something. Then go find it, and do it all over again, until you're on the moss.

Slow down and relax. There is a lot of chatter about pace of play and all that, but don't let your worry of being slow get in the way of enjoying your time and swinging your swing. Aside from that don't stress it, there should be no expectations, just go out and smack the white ball around. Have your wife keep score and don't tally up your score at the turn, just keep plugging away.

Haha - Way too complicated for me. Show up, five to 10 practice putts (if time allows). Ask what the course record is and go throw up all over the course. If the round goes to hell, grab a few beers and laugh a lot. My first round since labor day is Saturday in Henderson NV. Gonna be ugly but I gonna be a gas.

#6 is 6/12, but it should be the only thing on the list :)

Stop thinking so much about your round and just go have fun!

Hope you have a great time...fun should be the #1 priority.

Thanks for all the help guys. Really looking forward to posting photos and sharing the experience. I am probably only going to "play my first round after 30 years" once, so i am going to make the most of it!

Slow down and relax. There is a lot of chatter about pace of play and all that, but don't let your worry of being slow get in the way of enjoying your time and swinging your swing. Aside from that don't stress it, there should be no expectations, just go out and smack the white ball around. Have your wife keep score and don't tally up your score at the turn, just keep plugging away.

Good idea! I like it!

Back