Stock Market & Retirement Planning

Lots of people selling to cover tax bills due to huge market gains this year. Everyone feels poor this time of year.

Best to take those gains now....who knows where capital gain and income taxes will head in the future...

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Is anyone here a landlord? Any thoughts on the viability of that strategy versus stock/bond/etc?

My dad and I discuss this a lot. He's old school and likes owning something tangible and getting cold hard cash every month, so he's pretty heavy into real estate. He's very handy and doesn't seem to mind doing the assorted repair jobs and he seems to have a fairly high tolerance for people (let's just say some people are not home owners for a reason). For an assortment of reasons I'm in the market, albeit in simplistic ways (401k, ESPP, etc.). Ultimately, I think both are probably good elements of a balanced portfolio, both offer pluses and minuses and different risks/rewards.

Yesterday was not fun.

Yesterday was not fun.

So glad I pulled. Woke up to the Nikkei getting smoked too. I hope the banks have good quarterlies today. JP is up first.

So glad I pulled. Woke up to the Nikkei getting smoked too. I hope the banks have good quarterlies today. JP is up first.

Im not optimistic, especially with JP.

Im not optimistic, especially with JP.

Agreed. I am not a Jamie fan....... . Fastenal reports today also and they are a good barometer because of the construction business they serve. I am most interested in that report today.

Does anybody know when the ELY financial call is? I believe its next week, just do not know the day.

Does anybody know when the ELY financial call is? I believe its next week, just do not know the day.

I just read that they release earnings on April 23. Is there a separate financial call?

I put some money into them a few months ago. I am excited to hear. There stock is undervalued imo

I put some money into them a few months ago. I am excited to hear. There stock is undervalued imo

Based on 4th quarter projections it is, since they were projected to lose so much and actually made money. The 1st quarter has been very solid in the turn around process of the brand. I believe after this call, assuming it says what I expect it to say, the stock jumps moderately.

Most "experts" are very bearish on them and I like where I am right now. They are viewing it from 2 years ago being dead and buried and even looking at early last year.

Based on 4th quarter projections it is, since they were projected to lose so much and actually made money. The 1st quarter has been very solid in the turn around process of the brand. I believe after this call, assuming it says what I expect it to say, the stock jumps moderately.

Most "experts" are very bearish on them and I like where I am right now. They are viewing it from 2 years ago being dead and buried and even looking at early last year.

That was exactly when I bought some was after that q4. I have to admit if not for THP and watching what they are doing I would not have bought any.

Article yesterday on ELY:
http://money.cnn.com/2014/04/10/investing/masters-callaway/index.html?source=yahoo_quote

Gold is the one thing I am just uncertain about. I think silver moves a bit upwards over a 24 month period, but can gold sustain the growth it has seen?

I like to move some money into oil, Gold and Silver when bearish times, or political upheaval begins, but I don't keep it there. When folks get scared gold rises and silver often outperforms gold.

I received my notice for the annual meeting, which is coming up soon. Not sure about the financial call. Here is the annual meeting info:

On behalf of USAA, we're notifying you about an annual meeting and proxy solicitation for a security you hold. You can click on the link below to view shareholder material and enter your voting instructions. If you choose to vote, you can do so online until 11:59 p.m. (ET)the day before the meeting.

CALLAWAY GOLF COMPANY Annual Meeting of Stockholders

Meeting Date: May 14, 2014
For Holders As Of: March 17, 2014

ELY is one of those stocks I tend to shy away from purchasing. The old adage is "don't invest your money in companies in which you have no idea in what they do", so it seems like I would and should know and be comfortable with them, but that stock (and others such as luxury items and such) are just way too cyclical for me to bank hard on. Tied too much to the economy and the health of the consumer. I guess a while back would have been a great time to get into Callaway, with a recovering economy and rebuilding and rebranding company, but I'd be hesitant to ride for a very long time with them. If I was in them, id have a number or percentage picked out saying "this is where I'm getting out and I'm not going to get greedy with this one." If the economy takes a tumble, you'll have a quarter or two before you really start seeing consumers pinch and scale back big purchases and luxury items.

That is what I was looking for. Thanks Erky. Mine arrived just now on Schwab.

ELY is one of those stocks I tend to shy away from purchasing. The old adage is "don't invest your money in companies in which you have no idea in what they do", so it seems like I would and should know and be comfortable with them, but that stock (and others such as luxury items and such) are just way too cyclical for me to bank hard on. Tied too much to the economy and the health of the consumer. I guess a while back would have been a great time to get into Callaway, with a recovering economy and rebuilding and rebranding company, but I'd be hesitant to ride for a very long time with them. If I was in them, id have a number or percentage picked out saying "this is where I'm getting out and I'm not going to get greedy with this one." If the economy takes a tumble, you'll have a quarter or two before you really start seeing consumers pinch and scale back big purchases and luxury items.

I tend to agree with you on a lot of "hobby" items. My rule of thumb are twofold. I have to believe in the company, use the company or really know the end game for me to invest singularly (meaning outside of a fund). In this case and seeing where they were and where they are headed, it was a no brainer for me. Its the same thing I feel about some hotel/hospitality groups I invest in.

I tend to agree with you on a lot of "hobby" items. My rule of thumb are twofold. I have to believe in the company, use the company or really know the end game for me to invest singularly (meaning outside of a fund). In this case and seeing where they were and where they are headed, it was a no brainer for me. Its the same thing I feel about some hotel/hospitality groups I invest in.

And to add to that, if a company can navigate tough waters and down economies, which lets be honest, the economy is far from sparkling, and still perform, as long as leadership isn't constantly switching hands, you could have a long term winner on your hands. A lot can be said for a company that performs, even in the downtimes. I guess for me, personally, id have to see how Callaway handled a sharp downturn in the economy and consumer spending, instead of performing well in a flat/slow recovering economy. I think they have a terrific company, leadership and path, it just might be a little too Pepto worth for me to participate in. Lol.

Investing is so much fun and actually, is a lot like golf. Everyone has a different way of going about things and achieving goals. It's so interesting to me the psychology and mindset that goes into both golf and investing.

And to add to that, if a company can navigate tough waters and down economies, which lets be honest, the economy is far from sparkling, and still perform, as long as leadership isn't constantly switching hands, you could have a long term winner on your hands. A lot can be said for a company that performs, even in the downtimes. I guess for me, personally, id have to see how Callaway handled a sharp downturn in the economy and consumer spending, instead of performing well in a flat/slow recovering economy. I think they have a terrific company, leadership and path, it just might be a little too Pepto worth for me to participate in. Lol.

Agree with everything here. I bought when they added the new CEO. I got in early and am glad to be there. But it definitely is a mover up and down and you have to have your exit strategy in mind to some extent. I have 2 numbers I am watching to see where it gets me and when it is there, I will not hesitate to take my earnings and move on.

While I think in the long haul, it could be a very good buy, and I will have some of it, I will not be as heavy as I am right now.

I've been doing a lot of reading and I think I am going to dip my toes in the market for the first time. I'll start small and view it as entertainment at first and then see where it leads, but it's something I've always been fascinated by.

Agree with everything here. I bought when they added the new CEO. I got in early and am glad to be there. But it definitely is a mover up and down and you have to have your exit strategy in mind to some extent. I have 2 numbers I am watching to see where it gets me and when it is there, I will not hesitate to take my earnings and move on.

While I think in the long haul, it could be a very good buy, and I will have some of it, I will not be as heavy as I am right now.

I bought a few hundred shares when it was trading at around $5.00 per share. I have just held onto them. The shares I bought last week, when it was around $10 aren't looking good right now, but I will hold on for a while. I am not investing a fortune with them.

If there were some odd reason, a crazy dramatic rise (like news of them being bought by Apple or IBM, not going to happen, obvs, but throwing that out there for grins) causing the stock to jump 30+% in a day, I'm cashing out, ASAP. But my play with then would be, see a percentage rise I wanted to see, sell off maybe a quarter of my position and have different goals in mind to do the same at every percentage point along the way, more if it falls, less if it rises. I think it'd be a great play with that strategy in mind.

I did the same thing you did with Ford Motor Company when they brought in Allen Mullay. Back when the recession hit and ford almost went bankrupt . I was able to buy Ford at $4.72. I am really really happy I put a bunch of money into long term stock there. Sometimes you can see with what leader they bring in what direction they are going to go

I did the same thing you did with Ford Motor Company when they brought in Allen Mullay. Back when the recession hit and ford almost went bankrupt . I was able to buy Ford at $4.72. I am really really happy I put a bunch of money into long term stock there. Sometimes you can see with what leader they bring in what direction they are going to go

I heart him.
And also am a shareholder of Ford.

Back