My Enemy The Chip!!!

coers

@andrewcoers
Reaction score
Groveland,IL Central Illinois/Just south of Peoria
Handicap
Got out to play a round today and messed up just two chips which is better after having lessons yesterday. What I learned yesterday was 80% weight forward, polo button aligned with inside of left foot, and ball close to right foot. Here is a video of me after my round today, was using a 54° wedge. Had two chips that I hit thin and that's the issue I am having. Going to keep working on it and get better. If anyone see's something I can improve on let me know.

[video=youtube;X_v1uMOl-rA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_v1uMOl-rA[/video]

Maybe close the stance a little with some forward press in the hands. This will promote the weight forward and help stop decelerating. I'm no pro but those are some things that have helped me

So I am a little to open here? Thanks for the tips.
Maybe close the stance a little with some forward press in the hands. This will promote the weight forward and help stop decelerating. I'm no pro but those are some things that have helped me

So I am a little to open here? Thanks for the tips.

Well it's a little hard to tell how open the stance is at this angle, and again I'm no pro or swing coach, but I always have my feet real close together. Like closer than when I'm putting

Yeah shoot forgot to do that today, was told to do that yesterday and I forgot to do that today. Will make sure I do that next round and practice.
Well it's a little hard to tell how open the stance is at this angle, and again I'm no pro or swing coach, but I always have my feet real close together. Like closer than when I'm putting

For me it's just easier to keep my weight forward with a narrow stance. Let me know how it works for ya

You're using your right hand a little too much and flipping a bit at impact. If you don't time that up correctly, you'll hit the ball with the lowest grooves on the clubface because you've already flipped the face, and that's the thin shot. You need to feel like your hands stay in front of the clubhead and that you lead with your left hand. Watch this video and look at the finish and follow-through of Jordan Spieth, then compare it to yours:

Shots around the green should be played with an open stance and weight on the lead foot. It's an arm swing movement and an open stance help with the release. Do not close your stance, you will struggle

Chipping is my kryptonite too.....I just got a Cleveland Smart Sole wedge...it's the S model, but I hit chips with it today and was really impressed.....had 3 end up within 2 feet, definately saved me 3-5 shots today

Definitely agree with Freddie on the stance as it helps with the swing and aim. As for the swing I think you need to set your wrists a little more (I can't really tell from the angle). You can see that in the Spieth video how in the pitch he really sets them and on the chip he sets them right before the takeaway.

You're using your right hand a little too much and flipping a bit at impact. If you don't time that up correctly, you'll hit the ball with the lowest grooves on the clubface because you've already flipped the face, and that's the thin shot. You need to feel like your hands stay in front of the clubhead and that you lead with your left hand. Watch this video and look at the finish and follow-through of Jordan Spieth, then compare it to yours:

I like this video. I was taught to "keep my right palm hidden". Same technique, just different verbiage that Spieth is doing here.

Say that's what my PGA Pro told me the other night so I plan to keep doing it this way with a open stance. And one big problem for me is keeping my left wrist flat. Will keep at it and hope to see great results.
Shots around the green should be played with an open stance and weight on the lead foot. It's an arm swing movement and an open stance help with the release. Do not close your stance, you will struggle

Say that's what my PGA Pro told me the other night so I plan to keep doing it this way with a open stance. And one big problem for me is keeping my left wrist flat. Will keep at it and hope to see great results.

You should have a forward press with the wedge. Hands always stay in front of club head. Left wrist shouldn't be too flat

I was going to suggest maybe a big of wrist hinge that you hold through impact.... ie keep the hands in front of the clubhead. Was thinking maybe you were just a bit flippy in the video.

But thats just my opinion.

I was going to suggest maybe a big of wrist hinge that you hold through impact.... ie keep the hands in front of the clubhead. Was thinking maybe you were just a bit flippy in the video.

But thats just my opinion.

I always get flippy. The good thing is my chipping is getting better and I'm not hitting them all thin. Thanks for the suggestions.

When i struggle with chipping, the main issue for me is lack of the body following through to help keep hands ahead of the club head. What I like to do is this:
Address the ball feet together square to the target. Ball in between feet when feet are together. Then flare the left foot, turn the chest/upper body like left foot then bend at the hip. The center of the shirt should now be ahead of the ball placing the bottom of the swing arc in front of the ball (promoting ball first downward strike). Now forward press hands slightly, take back swing and hold the hinge through impact and allow the upper body to turn with follow through. Hope that helps

Back