Major Championship Rankings

creegs7882

Reaction score
Handicap
How do you rank the 4 major and for what reason(s)?

1. Masters - It's the first one of the year granted. However, The place where jones and Roberts picked is majestic. More importantly, they hold tradition in a high standard. Once a Champion, always a champion. Roberts may have been crazy about tradition but it works there.

2. The Open Championship- Love the way it moves from course to course, but those courses are set. All royal, all great tests. Love the way the natural settings influence how you must play the game.

3. US Open - The fact that anyone in the world can get into this event (given the right credentials) is awesome. You could be playing with your buddies on the Sunday before US Open week and the next day you could be practicing with Rory, or Tiger. It's also a better test of golf.

4. PGA - Although it usually falls to last place in most peoples rankings, it's still a great Championship because of the way it celebrates the teaching Pro.

Those are my thoughts. Chime in if you like

1. Masters - It's the first one of the year granted. However, The place where jones and Roberts picked is majestic. More importantly, they hold tradition in a high standard. Once a Champion, always a champion. Roberts may have been crazy about tradition but it works there.

2. The Open Championship- Love the way it moves from course to course, but those courses are set. All royal, all great tests. Love the way the natural settings influence how you must play the game.

3. US Open - The fact that anyone in the world can get into this event (given the right credentials) is awesome. You could be playing with your buddies on the Sunday before US Open week and the next day you could be practicing with Rory, or Tiger. It's also a better test of golf.

4. PGA - Although it usually falls to last place in most peoples rankings, it's still a great Championship because of the way it celebrates the teaching Pro.

I rank it similarly to you. I think you can swap the Open and US Open though depending on which course they are playing in the Rota and which course is hosting the US Open as well. For me this year I would rank the US Open ahead of The Open just because I'm excited to see them back at Pinehurst.

I think you hit the nail on the head for me

Would be my rankings as well

1. Masters
2. US Open
3. Open Championship
4. PGA

No kid ever grew up on the putting green imagining he was lining up a putt to win the PGA.

1. Open - The oldest and so full of history.
2. Master's - Same course evey year and it is still challenging then factor in the tradition.
3. US Open - Sometimes the course setups ruin the day although them being challenged, I do not care for bloodbaths.
4. PGA - also ran

I'd go:
1 - Masters
2 - US Open
3 - British
4 - PGA

Interesting my rankings are also chronological!

I'd probably say:

1) Open Championship - I love links courses, and it's the oldest of the majors.
2/3) Masters and US Open - For the Masters, I love the course and love the beauty this time of year in Augusta, and for the US I love that we get to see the pros humbled by really tough courses once in the year. But neither stacks up to the pure golf character and history of the Open.
4) PGA - Love its celebration of the teaching pro, but it just isn't on the same level as the other 3 in my opinion.

1 - Masters
2 - The Players (not officially a major but way better than the other 3)
5 - the rest of the majors. I don't care for the cow pastures in Britain and they ruin the US Open by making the courses unplayable.

This would be how I would rank them as well.

For me and many/most American golf fans I'd say

1. Masters
2. The Open
3. US Open
4. PGA

For most everyone else in the world 1 and 2 get flipped.

Pretty much agree with the OP.

Masters is King. Always will be.

While the US Open can sometimes be more memorable for me depending on the course (Pinehurst makes it a clear favorite this year), I typically prefer The Open Championship.

PGA is definitely the runt of the litter. Still fun to watch, but none of the "wow" factor of the other three.

I'm biased, but it's The Masters and it's not close. I really enjoy The Open as well. The US Open is most of the time too hard. The conditions are just stupid. And the PGA is cool, but doesn't do much for me.

I know we are supposed to have this reverence for The Open Championship, but I just can't get into it. I respect that golf began over there, and that winning it is a difficult task. I just prefer The Masters. I think The Open would be an easier choice if they always held it at St. Andrews. What makes the Masters the best, in my opinion, is that it welcomes heroes. I don't want to watch a guy "survive" 72 holes. I want to watch a guy make heroic shots down the stretch to win. I am sure hacking it out of the weeds after a bad drive is entertaining for some, but I would rather see a guy hit a poor drive and be able to do something amazing to recover. That's what Augusta has that none of the other majors has. I put the US Open second, but they are starting to annoy me with the course setups. It's as if they think it's an affront to golf if a guy shoots under par.

1. Masters. Sticking to one course makes it such an interesting event. That it's also a uniquely demanding, beautiful, historic course makes it even better.

2. The Open. Different courses, but such a radically different style of golf relative to (most) courses played in the US. Combine that with playing in some of the most historic pastures of golf's origins, and you have some real golf magic.

3. PGA. Tough but fair setups, great players can go on some fantastic runs and really flex their golf talents.

4. US Open. There's something to be said for taking a championship level course and seeing how brutally difficult you can make it. I'm glad it exists. But I'm at least as glad it's only one tournament a year. When a course gets that difficult, that capricious, in a game of misses, the line between luck & skill gets a bit too blurry.

I'd go:
1 - Masters
2 - US Open
3 - British
4 - PGA

Interesting my rankings are also chronological!

I'm like Kyle in that my preference is the same as the chronological order. Closest two would be US Open and The Open.

I'm a big US Open fan, so it's at the top of my list. I like the rotation, I like the field and I like that it plays to par for the most part. It's the test of the year for these guys.

Masters is second. Revered course, great time of year and almost perfect routing for am exciting finish. It finishes second because it's a horse for course and the same names tend to pop up a lot come Sunday.

The Open is a close second. Wonderful courses that are usually links, testing a while different set of skills. I like that the weather can be a major factor. It's also the height if the season, so the players have had enough time to show up with their A game.

The PGA is fourth and I'm not sure why. The courses are usually underrated and there's been some great finishes in the last few years. Maybe it's the time of year, knowing the season is winding down, I don't know.

The fact is, I love them all. It's tough to rank them and they're all bunched together, but that's how I'd rank them.

Taps away

Masters - Same venue makes history easy to follow and appreciate. Pomp and circumstance is also fun
US Open - I love watching the pros struggle for par
PGA - usually where an underdog shines. Fun to see Glory's last Chance really push players
Open - It's old, but I tend to find it boring. Watching the same few courses be put into rotation gets boring (I get it St. Andrews is old). Judging by the golf, Britain is nothing but cold wind and rain.

Back